Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trouble on the Alcan / My Boats Stranded 1000 miles from Home!!!!!!

Unhappy Trouble on the Alcan / My Boats Stranded 1000 miles from Home!!!!!!

So, I bought my boat a few weeks ago in Des Moines WA. found a local trailer dealer who had an appropiate trailer (Triple Axle Aluminium) for this boat. Bought that brand new trailer and had it delivered to the marina where my boat is located. I paid the CSR crane to hoist my Bayliner 2859 out of the water and load it on my new trailer and adjust it for the long haul up north. I paid them 4 hours to move the bunks to allow the boat to move forward and lower. I thought I had a plan set up for success!
    I was not able to tow this boat myself so I hired someone who was already making the trip north bound to AK. They were convoying my boat and another. They made it 1300 miles in 4 days. They were moving along slow and steady.
    They were about 60 miles south of Watson Lake in the Yukon area yesterday when all of a sudden something went terribly wrong on my trailer.
    The rear axle came free from the frame and was making contact with the center tires and axle.
    This scared the crap out of the driver. He managed to slow er down and bring it to a stop without anyone getting hurt or my boat damaged.
    They removed the tires and chained the axle up. This allowed them to hobble it up to a nearby pull out.
    It scared my driver well enough that he didnt want to tow it any further and logistically they couldnt wait around and stop the convoy for the other boat while I figure out how to get my load back on the road. This really put me in a bind!
    Now all my savings and dream of being on the water again is sitting on the side of the Alcan road unmaned and just asking for theft or vandalism.
    Today, between me and the boat trailer dealer we have managed to get the boat trailer loaded up on another trailer and towed to the town of Watson Lake for repairs.
    The boat is currently being repaired and will be ready to hit the road AGAIN.
    Trouble now is:
    NO DRIVER!!!!!!!
    So, what can I do here?
    I have one company putting together a quote for me. That is all I have in the works right now.
    Any of you experienced guys have a a great suggestion for me?
    Anyone want to make some $$$$ and tow my boat up here the remainder 1000 miles?
    Just figured I would see if there are any ideas in here for me?
    Thanks for the Help

Well... If I bought a brand new trailer and it didn't make it 2000 miles... I'd be checking on the warranty! And I would be screaming for them to arrange to have it delivered. For an axle to come free from the frame, sounds like faulty workmanship.

I would consider helping you out, but I am on the slope until the 9th at the earliest, another snag is I don't have a passport and I think I heard you had to have one now to go through the border. I hope it works out for you.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by FishnMishn View Post
    Well... If I bought a brand new trailer and it didn't make it 2000 miles... I'd be checking on the warranty! And I would be screaming for them to arrange to have it delivered. For an axle to come free from the frame, sounds like faulty workmanship.
    Fortunately the trailer dealer is paying for this shop to do all the needed repairs.
    The U bolts seemed to be weak and poor craftsmanship was to blame. So that was good news seems how the shop charges $150 an hour there in this small town!
    The towing charge to get the trailer and boat to the shop is another story though.
    I an really looking for a way to continue to get it moving north again though.
    Thinking of few options currently.
    1000 miles sure isnt to far from home but finding someone to tow it up here is a tough order!

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I would consider helping you out, but I am on the slope until the 9th at the earliest, another snag is I don't have a passport and I think I heard you had to have one now to go through the border. I hope it works out for you.
    Thank you for the offer, yes they require a passport now.
    I to am on the slope and let me tell ya what. It sure is difficult and stressful handling your job up here while all this is going on in canada with your new boat.

Thanks Again

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

How much does the boat and trailer weigh? What type of vehicle was it being towed with?

Quote Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
    How much does the boat and trailer weigh? What type of vehicle was it being towed with?
    Under 10,000.
    a 3/4 Ton Dmax with airbags was towing it from Wasington to where its at now.

Sent you a pm
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

The trailer company is NOT paying the tow into Watson Lake? That's wrong, they should be at least responsible for that, and I would think to get your boat to your home/port in Alaska...it is their fault your contract to get it the rest of the way there was voided. I can't help you but I sure can feel your pain! I've towed two boats up there in the past and I can't imagine trying to deal with that from a distance....well, good luck, I hope it works out and someone is able to get it towed for you the rest of the way...

I would be suprised if the trailer outfit will do anything, if they paid some repairs, I would count that as lucky.
    Can the repair shop secure it until you get off the slope? Then rent a 1 ton from Sadler and go get it.....
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I have a three axle Venture trailer similar to yours that I bought new in NJ to tow my boat to Alaska a few years ago. I didn't have any trouble but babied the trailer by greasing the bearing up and tightening the lug nuts which seemed to loosen up every few hundred miles until I really tightened them down good. One thing about triple axles is they need to be perfectly horizontal so bring a good selection of drop hitches with you to get it right. The back axle may have been too loaded up with the first rig.

Good luck and hope you're on you new boat soon!

For what it's worth; I've driven from Hope to Anchorage on three wheels, because one hub broke apart. Just lashed the empty end of the axle up with tie-down, which wasn't really helpful or needed, the axle end just hung there supported by the leaf spring. Worked in a pinch.

I'm sure there are many trucking companies in tat town. Just start calling around. You may get lucky and get a back haul for cheap.

I might be interested in driving down. What type of brakes are on the axles?

Cool Just a suggestion..

If you can't find someone here.. You might try posting to some of the RV forums. You might find someone making the trip up that would be more than willing to let you share that canadian gas bill! Meet them out in Tok and get your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I might be interested in driving down. What type of brakes are on the axles?
    triple axle disc brakes.
    all electric

Oh it aint stranded. The Yukon Territory folks are great people. Very rarely would a break-down get messed with. Seeing a boat of that size, they are probably gathering around it as we speak, singing the Canadian anthem and rubbing Canadian Bacon across the hull, bringing it and the owner many years of good luck and prosperous fishing seasons .

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Oh it aint stranded. The Yukon Territory folks are great people. Very rarely would a break-down get messed with. Seeing a boat of that size, they are probably gathering around it as we speak, singing the Canadian anthem and rubbing Canadian Bacon across the hull, bringing it and the owner many years of good luck and prosperous fishing seasons .
    We're also slathering it with maple syrup too!!!

I feel for you. I just got up here towing a boat from Wash. for another person w/o problems.
    The last place you want troubles is around Watson Lake. They live off of folks like us having problems.
    Hopefully you can find someone to do the job. Try Craigs List. That is where I look for boat tows to Alaska.
    The highway is in great shape except north of Destruction Bay for about 100 miles and part of the Tok Cutoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Alrigh, you made me smile!
    Actually I even chuckled out loud!
    Thats a major accomplishment considering concern on this matter.
    I will say, there is no doubt. you are a funny guy!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    We're also slathering it with maple syrup too!!!
    Id lick that boat clean at this point if I had it in my possession!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Alaska View Post
    I feel for you. I just got up here towing a boat from Wash. for another person w/o problems.
    The last place you want troubles is around Watson Lake. They live off of folks like us having problems.
    Hopefully you can find someone to do the job. Try Craigs List. That is where I look for boat tows to Alaska.
    The highway is in great shape except north of Destruction Bay for about 100 miles and part of the Tok Cutoff.
    You know whats funny. The guy who repaired the trailer admits he makes a good living on doing just that. Helping us in trouble out for the cost of $150 an hour for him and his truck and an additional $60 an hour for his helper.
    As you can imagine, it was an expensive tow bill to his shop!
    I just hope it makes it home soon in one piece. I really was getting excited to get the family back on the water and fishing this year!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast