Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ram mount in progress

Default 2011 Ram mount in progress

Just received some pictures of the mount my taxidermist is working on. The finished piece will be a table top pedestal mount. There will be an oval walnut base with a rock, and the ram on top. As you can see, he spent some time altering the form to get it just right.

Ram 1.jpgRam 3.jpg

Here is the freshly mounted cape. I ended up deciding to leave it au natural and not have it bleached. Can't wait to have him back in possession! Just a few more weeks to get the finishing touches done on the ram and the base made.

Ram 2.jpg

Looking good, I left mine natural also. Looks like your Tax. is well rounded in everything. Alot of stories in that room.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks a beautiful looking ram...congratulations!

In the never ending pursuit of judging rams, how old was he?

Nice looking ram can't wait to see the finished product.

The mount looks very nice. Wrangles ram?

Quote Originally Posted by bbags View Post
    Thanks a beautiful looking ram...congratulations!

In the never ending pursuit of judging rams, how old was he?
    If I'm seeing it correctly, it looks to be 9 years old to me....

Arrow

He is a Kenai mountains ram, and according to the biologist 9 years old and full curl. He was clearly legal based on age so there were no worries, but I was curious how he would classify the curl.

Just for simplication they likely just went with it. Once they know it's 9 it's a mute point really on a curl status so very close. Like said in other threads. It depends on the sealer. I have a feeling the same gentleman in Wasilla who sealed my friends ram would call that a 7/8. He was a hunter himself and really into big rams. So for him, marginal rams (which yours isn't), were closely scrutinized.

I was impressed with the first three years of growth on your ram. The mount is nice too.

I love rams with deep curls and little flare, so I am thrilled with him regardless of whether or not he makes it all the way around. I was actually expecting him to call it 7/8. He showed me how he made the determination and it made sense, but you are definitely right about him not giving it close scrutiny. He took a quick count of the rings, gave it a once over and got the drill out.

Just curious, were you able to count rings in the field?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Just curious, were you able to count rings in the field?

Yes. I'm a non-resident so obviously had to have a guide. We spent almost two days watching this ram and five others. There was another in the group that was clearly legal, but not as heavy or deep. I really wanted this one so we took the extra time to be certain he was legal before we made the move on them. It was very reassuring to have a veteran sheep hunter confirm what I thought I was looking at.
    Even though there was no doubt about legality, from reading some of the horror stories on here before I left, I was completely paranoid until he was sealed.

Stekewood.....check your pm mailbox....

Quote Originally Posted by Stekewood View Post
    Even though there was no doubt about legality, from reading some of the horror stories on here before I left, I was completely paranoid until he was sealed.
    That's kind of a counter-diction in terms....."no doubt about the legality / paranoid until he was sealed.....lol. When you know (without a doubt) a ram is 8 years or older it doesn't matter what configuration the horns are. Personally I told a hunter to shoot a ram that was 8 years old and not full curl. And the ram in my avatar, as I told you in the pm, was 39" but only 7.5 years old, and waaaay beyond full. So there are a number of horn "variations" a person can come across when sheep hunting, but the ol' "8 years old or older" trumps em' all.

Problem with "8 tear old trumps it all" is different sealers will count year rings different, a buddy shot one on rings alone last year and I warned him agains it, even when I had him in my hands I was worried about it being legal, it wasn't even my sheep and I was worried till I got the good news back from him that it was a nine year old.

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    Problem with "8 tear old trumps it all" is different sealers will count year rings different, a buddy shot one on rings alone last year and I warned him agains it, even when I had him in my hands I was worried about it being legal, it wasn't even my sheep and I was worried till I got the good news back from him that it was a nine year old.
    Yeah those sealers need some education on sheep aging for sure. I personaly almost never go by age when I guide sheep hunts I only use age a my second legal.(always look for two way legal) Although there are certain areas that rams dont quite make full and in that case I just look older sheep with rings to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    It definitely shouldn't be taken into consideration if the rings are hard to count. But if you CAN count distinct rings then it is a way to find out if he's legal for sure. And if I knew for sure and a sealer said no, then I would fight it in court. There shouldn't be any grey area here. There are not one, but two horns to look at and at least one of them usually always tells the story. So if a sealer can't tell then he shouldn't have the job.

The ram in my avitar was aged at 9 and 10 by two different guys at the Delta Junct. F&G office.

Steve,
    looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    The ram in my avitar was aged at 9 and 10 by two different guys at the Delta Junct. F&G office.
    Thats the type of thing that had me so nervous. Having to spend 3 days in town thinking about it while waiting for the office to open didn't help much either. Thank god for Alaskan IPA!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast