Thread: Catch and Releasing rock fish (alive)

Default Catch and Releasing rock fish (alive)

What is the best way you guys have found to increase the survival rate on released rock fish?

I bought one of those release tools from West marine. But I've yet to catch my limit LOL!!
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

F & G had a guy at the Sportsmans show with a quick release tool that is used to run the fish to depth and then it releases. I discussed the venting method I learned and have used in the past. He discouraged anything that pokes a hole in the fish.
    I guess we can all learn something new!
    BK

This way http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...shconservation

I use the lead head jig method. Works great and it's cheap!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Fishgod,
    Doesn't this method essentially rip the bottom lip of the fish?
    It says "When the jig hits bottom, lock the reel and give a hard tug to release the fish."
    Thanks for the link.
    BK

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Fishgod,
    It says "When the jig hits bottom, lock the reel and give a hard tug to release the fish."
    Thanks for the link.
    BK
    It shouldn't. The line is attached to the back of the jig, so when you give it a hard tug, you are simply backing the hook out of the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Fishgod,
    Thanks for the link.
    BK
    Seems to be some text missing, the line is tied to the bend of the hook only, take close look at the photos again. This will pull the hook out backwards (also why the barb of the "release jig" MUST be pinched down).

This is the same method used to pull a river anchor "backward" out of rocks.

Got it, makes total sense now. Thanks for the clarification.
    BK

Make sure to crimp the barb.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

24 oz Jig head with the barb filed off, and an old pole set up to get them back down quick. Usually the ones you're sending back down are small and 24 oz sends them back nicely.

I use a laker saver, designed for lake trout is is a great deep water release tool that I also use for rockfish and yellow eye that easily releases them to the depth they were caught at for successful catch and release

Regs read you must keep the first rock fish you catch! Don't forget that rule.

I use these. http://www.sheltonproducts.com/SFD.html Works great but you can use the 24 oz jig the same way.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Regs read you must keep the first rock fish you catch! Don't forget that rule.
    If effective deep-water release methods are promoted by fishermen in Alaska, isn't it likely that Fish & Game will change this rule?

We use the leadhead/barbless hook release method for red snapper & grouper in the Gulf of Mexico and it appears to be a very effective way to release deep-water fish with low mortality.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek the Greek View Post
    We use the leadhead/barbless hook release method for red snapper & grouper in the Gulf of Mexico and it appears to be a very effective way to release deep-water fish with low mortality.
    This is a serious question, as I have no real background in catch and release of deep water fish.

If you use some method to release them at depth, how do you know what the mortality rate is?

I mean its not like it floats right back up to you bobbing around in the ocean...or does it?

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    This is a serious question, as I have no real background in catch and release of deep water fish.

If you use some method to release them at depth, how do you know what the mortality rate is?

I mean its not like it floats right back up to you bobbing around in the ocean...or does it?
    As far as Alaskan rockfish are concerned, ADF&G has been doing mark and recapture studies on barotrauma rockfish for a couple years. After releasing yelloweye rockfish with the jig method, they had a 98% survival rate. This was proven with acoustic and PIT tags.

Thanks FG.

Different idea .... I love my pelagic Rockfish ... already have a 2 day limit in the freezer this year, minus a couple of fillets that are already consumed. I do not have to worry about release from depth issues because when I target Rockfish for harvest I fish 'structure'. The last time out around the SE end of Ellerington Is. I found some underwater hills that came up to about 25 ft, surrounding waters were 100 to 200 ft deep. Hook em shallow and if you do not have a keeper, grab the jig and give them a flip back into the salt. I hated to release all the big lings but it is not July 1st. After you limit head for a protected anchorage to organize, filet fish and clean up.

Then it is miller time ... Wake up the next morning and go deep for Halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post

Yes, I took it as a serious question. In addition to the below answer about Alaska testing deep-water release, the regulations book for this year has, on page 25, instructions on how to safely do a deep-water release. They also have this webpage: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...shconservation

This would appear to be good news for Alaska recreational fishermen in the sense of long-term conservation.