Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double Tap 320 grain 44 mag velocity: chronograph verified (ouch)

Default Double Tap 320 grain 44 mag velocity: chronograph verified (ouch)

From a 3 in. barreled all steel Smith, it was pushing 1,180 fps.(they claim 1,320 from a 7.5" barrel). After six of them, I began to form a blood blister on the inside of my thumb. It claims that it's not to be used in Scandium or Titanium pistols. With how much recoil it produces, that's a good warning. On the seventh round the blood blister was promptly splattered loose. This is one powerful load. I spent a half hour rounding and smoothing the grips in the area that was biting me.

I disassembled the round and weighed the charge, it was somewhere in the ballpark of 20.5 grains. The powder was little tiny spherical granules, the smallest I've ever seen.

I'm gonna need a dang set of shooting gloves to sight them in. Extraction was great, and I believe the load is around max 44 mag pressure limits.

I chronographed that load out of my 7 1/2-inch Bisley Hunter last year and they averaged 1,350 fps. Definitely a true "magnum" load!

Not sure what grips you have on your S&W but these are a real recoil tamer and the same grips S&W puts on their 500's:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOGUE-GRIP-S...item27a9aa6c89

Thanks for the info, but I'll bleed for wood.....it just looks do darned good! A little rounding of the grip was all that's needed. It was two flat spots and a bit of a wood edge that raised up from the frame, it's all smoothed out now. These aren't the type of cartridges you shoot for fun. 300 grainers were no problem. The amount of felt recoil was significantly stronger with the double tap 320 grainers, and they showed me where to smooth the grips.

I found the DT gives a bit more bump also.I wonder what the power is as it takes about 25.5/26 gr of 296 to get those numbers.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Accurate 4100 is extremely fine and a little faster than 296. Looks like fine black sand.

They do snap! I had good success with them so far...accuracy is there. Short video using them...the 1st is a cowboy action 44 special, next is a 240 mag, and 3rd is a DT 320. It is followed by 3 rounds of DT 320s. There doesn`t seem to be any case issues as they fall right out after firing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCpaMD7u3KY

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    They do snap! I had good success with them so far...accuracy is there. Short video using them...the 1st is a cowboy action 44 special, next is a 240 mag, and 3rd is a DT 320. It is followed by 3 rounds of DT 320s. There doesn`t seem to be any case issues as they fall right out after firing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCpaMD7u3KY
    Yes,
    I notice that too, the brass falls right out of clean chambers. Before my hand was beat to a pulp, I was able to put two of them touching at 10 yds. Nice video, Ouch!

Upon disassembly, I guess the only issue I could find, was that the bullet had no gas check. This could be a non-issue as Elmer Keith found them to be useless and unnecessary in the 44 magnum cartridge he created.

Quote of Elmer Keith from the 1960 Lyman Reloading manual:

"I neither like nor use any gas check bullets in revolvers. Their place is in rifles and auto pistols. The factory .44 magnum bullet is a thin part-jacket, not a gas check cup. This is necessary with soft factory bullets to hold the rifling and, at velocities now being loaded, should even be a longer jacket than it is. True gas check cups do not upset to fill chamber throats and seal off gas as they should."

Do not use heavy boolits in the S&W. Additional recoil will damage the gun, not pressure just inertia.

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    Do not use heavy boolits in the S&W. Additional recoil will damage the gun, not pressure just inertia.
    After looking at my hand, I felt bad for the revolver. I may stick with 300 grain uni-cors. I do however, feel the pistol will be fine with these hard cast bullets. It is a 629-6, so it's what I'd consider to be a beefed up version of the old 629. You don't shoot these for fun, nor do you shoot them in any significant numbers. I'll probably do most of my target shooting with 240 grain bullets, and limited amount of max loads for sighting in annually for a back country/bear protection load.

Should be OK if they fixed the two problems of cylinders unlocking and beat unlocking pins. Just two things that were a problem.
    The 320 gr is amazing and DT makes good stuff.

I believe you made a wise choise going with the 44 insted of the bigger stuff to start out. A year from now the 44 will seem much nicer.You will be able to go bigger but no real to.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default Not a problem!

I've been shooting the Lee 310 Gr+ bullets almost exclusively in my 629-3 for several years now with no issues. I did send it back to get it re-furbed earlier this year but that was after 20 years of hard use and S&W fixed it for FREE including shipping both ways. Now good as new and ready for the next 20 years. If it does develop any issues - back to S&W again for another free overhaul.

Modern S&W are a plenty tough for even for those of us that shoot a LOT and for the vast majority of shooters will never have any issues at all with them no matter what they shoot. Recommending that someone buy a heavier clunky pistol to solve a non-existant problem just seems poor advice to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Ya the Rugers were nice because of longer cylinders for heavy loads.I do wish S&W or any handgun company would pay my shipping even one way,two hundred round trip is spendy

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I've be Recommending that someone buy a heavier clunky pistol to solve a non-existant problem just seems poor advice to me.
    That took longer than expected.

Here we go again....

T,

Please don't hi-jack this thread with this obsessive Ruger vs S n W path. You always find the need to passively hint at this every chance you get, it's getting old, yah know?

I really liked both pistols, the Talo 629 3" and the Super RH Alaskan. Neither was at all heavy, and neither was at all "clunky". Bfr didn't even recommend another pistol. He was only genuinely concerned, until a pointed out that this 629 is a new one and has beefed up lock work.

He then continued to correct himself, and stated that all would be fine. Anyhoo, good shootin and let's keep this thread going ehh?

Through much of the 70's the handgunners like Kelly and Jones went with the easy to remember 24 load for all hunting. It was 24gr of 2400 and 240gr bullet.Late 70's JDJ made a 260gr HC and folks used the same load with the bigger bullet,my god it stopped the earths rotation with all that power.Jump to later 80's and JDJ had some wonderfully made 320HC over 25.5 to 26gr 296 loaded second crimp groove and the rest is history.Also the 80's more folks jumped on the 45colt and it did what the 44 did but a bit more weight.Today we don't have to hot rod these rounds as we have bigger at prices the adverage man can buy but the oldies are still just as good for taking or stopping game.Remember most of Larry Kelly's bear hunt stories in the early years were with 240gr bullets and his slinged mag-na-ported super blackhawk.This was before the S&W up grade so T/C and Ruger SBH were the go to at the time.

Default Didn't start this...

I didn't start this hi-jack - I just tried to correct an incorrect posting. I'm genuinely concerned that readers should not be mis-informed with incorrect information. It is getting really old to me also ya know - the same anti-S&W old BS over and over again - "don't shoot these in your puny weak S&Ws" etc etc etc.

FYI - my 20+ year old S&W is not a beefed up newer one and I've never had any problems of cylinder unlocking or peening of the locking pins. Perhaps these problems were an issue in the very first S&Ws but it hardly worth bringing up now and stating as fact that applies to the average run-of-the-mill 629 owner.

Now that we have cleared the air let's get back to shooting ehh!

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    T,

Please don't hi-jack this thread with this obsessive Ruger vs S n W path. You always find the need to passively hint at this every chance you get, it's getting old, yah know?

I really liked both pistols, the Talo 629 3" and the Super RH Alaskan. Neither was at all heavy, and neither was at all "clunky". Bfr didn't even recommend another pistol. He was only genuinely concerned, until a pointed out that this 629 is a new one and has beefed up lock work.

He then continued to correct himself, and stated that all would be fine. Anyhoo, good shootin and let's keep this thread going ehh?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I didn't start this hi-jack - I just tried to correct an incorrect posting. I'm genuinely concerned that readers should not be mis-informed with incorrect information.
    Why are you concerned at all? Unless you own stock in S&W why does it even matter? Just roll with what ya got and don't care what others are talking about. BTW the only revolver I own is a S&W so just one S&W user to another.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast