Thread: So many choices

Default So many choices

O.k. I know opinions will differ but I would love to read some. Have been working towards moving to AK for last couple years. I had it locked down to Soldotna because of the fishing. Wife and I really liked the SouthEast when we went there last Summer.

I know all about the size of the state and the distance to go do different things , thats why I am looking for opinions on where you would settle if you were moving there for the first time. Dont need a job, Love to fish, hunt, trap and ATV.

Thanks,

Tight lines
    Bawanna

Southeast would be really hard to beat for saltwater fishing and some hunting (deer and bear primarily, possibly elk if you're lucky enough to win a permit). There is also good trapping to be had for marten, beaver, otters, wolves, and such. There is some decent freshwater fishing to be had, but it seems that the majority of Southeast fishing is in the salt. Wet and rainy is the order of the day, though obviously there are exceptions.

The Soldotna area has a lot of freshwater fishing options, but the crowds descend upon the area in July and August to the point that many locals don't care to participate. Good saltwater fishing can be had a bit over an hour south in the Homer and Deep Creek area. The moose hunting has become highly restricted, though there is excellent black bear hunting. You'll find that you'll most often be driving off the Peninsula for much of your hunting. Mild winters and mild summers - rarely below zero, but also rarely above 65.

The Southcentral area provides access to all of what you're looking for within a 2-3 hour drive, but little that is stellar in the immediate area. Will get below zero a couple times each winter and above 70 degrees maybe 10-20 days each summer (more if you're up towards Talkeetna).

The interior arguably has the best access to hunting and trapping, but you're a long way from the salt and most salmon runs. There is excellent fishing to be had for pike, lake trout, grayling, and such - but the salmon fishing can't compare to near-coastal areas. Can be brutally cold in the winter and really, really warm in the summer - 80 degrees and above is not uncommon.

That is a very, very general take on the areas, though there are lots of caveats to the above info.

Wrangell as just voted the best Alaska small town by Sunshine magazine.About 13 miles of paved road and 250 miles of logging road.You can do about everything with a small boat and do it all with a big one.Perfect place for retired folks with a check each month as most here don't get that.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by bawanna View Post
    O.k. I know opinions will differ but I would love to read some. Have been working towards moving to AK for last couple years. I had it locked down to Soldotna because of the fishing. Wife and I really liked the SouthEast when we went there last Summer.I know all about the size of the state and the distance to go do different things , thats why I am looking for opinions on where you would settle if you were moving there for the first time. Dont need a job, Love to fish, hunt, trap and ATV.Thanks,Tight linesBawanna
    Brian Sums it up very nicely.. So what part of Nebr do you want to leave? I left the sandhills about the middle of the last century. Not much for pheasant hunting up here.. but in Football season all the sports bars are full of people wearing red caps, sweats, etc.., yelling go big Red..!

Old John, i grew up in Grand Island. I have lived in the far NorthEast corner near Sioux City for the last 9 years.

Brian did indeed do a good job of explaining the state, his explanation is exactly the description of why I asked the question. Every place has it's benefits then the need to travel for other hunts/fishing. I have fought the crowds in July in the soldotna area several times and i can assure you I would not do that if I lived there. I like small towns and few people, that is why I would stay away from Anchorage.
    I really liked Fairbanks when I was there but man I don't think that Momma would put up with those Winters for too long. I really think I am still looking to Soldotna area but what a screwed up deal to be narrowing down where I am moving to and already trying to figure out a place for a cabin that is in a different area of the state.

Hey John, Love to hunt deer in the Sandhills but they are all going to $1000 a gun for deer season, hard to get on a ranch anymore.

Old John, i grew up in Grand Island. I have lived in the far NorthEast corner near Sioux City for the last 9 years.

Brian did indeed do a good job of explaining the state, his explanation is exactly the description of why I asked the question. Every place has it's benefits then the need to travel for other hunts/fishing. I have fought the crowds in July in the soldotna area several times and i can assure you I would not do that if I lived there. I like small towns and few people, that is why I would stay away from Anchorage.
    I really liked Fairbanks when I was there but man I don't think that Momma would put up with those Winters for too long. I really think I am still looking to Soldotna area but what a screwed up deal to be narrowing down where I am moving to and already trying to figure out a place for a cabin that is in a different area of the state.

Hey John, Love to hunt deer in the Sandhills but they are all going to $1000 a gun for deer season, hard to get on a ranch anymore.
    Bawanna
    Perhaps you could settle in the Soldotna area to keep the wife happy.. Then perhaps pick up a small rec lot in a different part of the State, through the DNR auctions, staking program, or Over The Counter (OTC) sales.. and build a comfortable cabin so she'd be comfortable for short visits. I came to Alaska first in 65 compliments of the USN, left for South East Asia in 67.. Made it back in 72, again compliments of the USN. We lived in Chugiak for 18 yrs, dragging various river boats up and down the AK Road system testing all the waters.. In 90 we moved to Diamond Ridge above Homer and enjoyed the fishing available to us there. However we either flew across the inlet to hunt Caribou, and or I dragged a river boat back to Anchorage and with a son would cross Cook Inlet to get into the big Su and Yentna river systems. in 2000 I retired for the 4th and final time and we moved back to the MatSu Valley to be closer to the kids/grandkids, as well as the commissary and medical facilities on the military bases.

My youngest Sister married into a large Ranching Family in the central Sand Hills. She has 3 girls and a Son and they all seem to fill their deer tags annually. Those girls drive me crazy posting pictures of deer and huge flocks of turkeys they take with their game trail cameras, on their Grandpa's ranch.

John,
    For the last several years here in Nebraska it has been no trouble shooting all the turkeys and deer that you want. They have steadily increased the number of both that you can shoot each year. The DNR has even started putting two deer on each tag but you have to shoot a doe before taking a buck. They are trying to get the deer numbers down. It's a nice time to be a hunter if you like corn fed venison like I do.

Thanks for all the ideas on areas, I am thinking along the lines of your suggestions. I am coming up again in June and July and will refine the search further. A couple of my boys are working at a lodge this Summer and I will visit them and roam around a bit.

Tight lines,

Doug

Default Outside

John,
    Do you ever get back to Nebraska for anything?

John,
    Do you ever get back to Nebraska for anything?
    Unfortunately No. I passed through Nebraska in Sept of 72 transferring from Fort Meade in Maryland to Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage. Always thought I'd get back to the old Home Place with my boys and show them what real pheasant hunting was like, but doesn't look like that's going to happen either.

Pheasants were real tough to come by last season. Had a real mild Winter so hoping for a nice rebound this year. I bring my boys to Alaska to show them what real fishing is

If I weren't tied to work, and some city amentities for the wife and kids, hands down I'd head to SE. Just don't make it a cruise ship port. While SE gets its share of wet and wind, overall the weather is milder and you're going to have a longer fishing season. Blacktail are plentiful and the season is long.

If I was on the road system, Homer would be high on my list. It's spread out enough you can away from the tourists, fishing is good and Kodiak is a ferry boat ride away to expand your options.

Nothing against Kenai/Soldotna, but that area would be low down on my list. Too crowded in the summer, and still a significant drive to the salt. Hunting isn't so hot either unless you fly out or travel significant distance.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I don’t know, you might consider the upper Mat-Su valley - maybe around Talkeenta. With a jet boat, ATV, snowmachine, and a little bit of driving, you would have a huge area available to fish and hunt. Things would be less crowded than Soldotna for sure and Wasilla/Palmer now have much of what Anchorage has as far as groceries, supplies, restaurants, health care, etc. So, you could go to “town” without having to go into Anchorage.

Good points from all and greatly appreciated!

The good thing is there really aren't any bad choices. You might consider moving up and spending a couple years renting just to be able to adjust to the state and figure out exactly what you do and don't like before being truly settled.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Bawana............there is a spot for you here in Nome. Guy from Nebr. living here is about ready to retire and he is thinking of retiring to Ne. You can take his place.
    I was born and raised in Omaha. I'm heading to Fbks in a month. That makes room for another Nebraskan here in Nome.
    Pretty dang good hunt/fish/trap opportunities around Nome.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Nome might be a tuff sell to the wife. I'm always open to new things though. So what do people from Nebraska do in Nome for jobs?

Same thing they do anywhere else.............in my case, and the other guys case, we are both aviation mechs for an airline here. Plenty of other jobs here.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks for the info...many of my sons are in the first few years of the work force and as I have taken several of them on trips to Alaska they are always asking me about work up there. Nothing would please me more than to see some of my boys start a life in AK. Two of my college age Sons are working at a lodge there this Summer and you can imagine the impression it is making on them.

Nome might be a tuff sell to the wife. I'm always open to new things though. So what do people from Nebraska do in Nome for jobs?
    Remember... go back to your initial post. You don't NEED a job!

My Boys do need jobs. I was asking about what they (current Nebraska guys there)did there not what I would do there. Thanks for the reminder though.