Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You are kidding - these guns can't shot - or can they?

Default You are kidding - these guns can't shot - or can they?

My friend Biran gave me a call Wednesday evening and said a very close friend of his was wanting to sell a 9mm pistol. This guy bought one for him and one for his wife but she wanted even a smaller one in 380 to just put in her hand bag, so the guy decided to keep his but sell hers. He told Brian that he would sell it to him for 200.00.

Well, Brian didn't want a 9mm right now so he ask me if I wanted to buy the thing. I wasn't real sure, because I had three revolvers and one pistol made by this company through the years and they were very good shooters but have heard so much negative stuff about this brand especially on some forums that I was about to shy away from the deal. So Thursday morning I called Brian and told him to pick it up and I would meet him later pick up the pistol.

What was really cool was he did pick it up but gave it to me plus two boxes of 9mm Winchester 115gr FMJ ammo. So today, I went to the range to see if I could hit anything within reason and if so might use if for a carry.

Well hear are the results:

Target is fifteen yards away standing: The pistol holds 13 +1

First target fourteen rounds (had to get use to the trigger) it shot a little left and after group adjusted sights.

Second target fourteen rounds after adjusting sights an having a better feel for the trigger.

Think I will keep this one shooting factory win ammo this good.

Taurus PT 609 pro

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Looks like a keeper to me BT! I just got a Taurus 65 - 4in SS 357 for my Daughter this week. I am going to give it a test tomorrow and see how it acts before she gets her mitts on it. So far it looks and feel pretty good for the money. I think Taurus has come a long way - maybe like Marlin Rifles - not top end but solid shooters at a fair price?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Smokey, yeah it is a keeper, I am inclined to agree with you one hundred percent on this one in light of Taurus striker fired handguns. Excellent piece for the $$. Let the snobs who have to throw their money at some foofy brand name go right ahead. I couldn't have done any better for twice the price.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Smokey, yeah it is a keeper, I am inclined to agree with you one hundred percent on this one in light of Taurus striker fired handguns. Excellent piece for the $$. Let the snobs who have to throw their money at some foofy brand name go right ahead. I couldn't have done any better for twice the price.
    It's a little early to determine what type of handgun you have BT; get back to us in 5-10,000 rounds. Perhaps I'm a snob, I've been called much worse, but Taurus revolvers and pistols alike have given me ( and many, many others) serious service issues--failure to feed, failure to fire, cylinder out of time, etc. If you can get great service from Taurus handguns then more power to you, but I've had them fail too often (as in always) to have confidence in them as a CCW firearm and believe my dollars are best spent on another manufacturer's product. For the record, I don't enjoy spending unnecessary money on any item, but I place a greater emphasis on value than cost. Some might call it snobbery, I call it prudence.......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

That should work and it is a good place to put them bullets!

Iíve had very good luck with the model 65 357s but not so much with any of the other revolvers. They are all good shooters but donít always like to shoot except the 65s which I think is because of all the police contracts on that one.

Iíve never played with their autos, I figure a Glock is close enough in price not to bother with them. But I believe that PT609 Pro is also a police/military contract gun and at around $160 (accounting for ammo value) I just donít see any way you went too far wrong. I'd have made that deal too.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Taurus 22 mag saved my rib cage n skull from getting stomped into the ground by a rut-crazy bull moose last October He was a young fella with about a 36-40" rack. Besides this one 8 shot revolver, I have no experience with any other Taurus guns. It's a phenomenal pistol and I can hit a 3 in. steel plate at 25 yds. I can hit the 2 in. plate about 50% of the time at 25 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    It's a little early to determine what type of handgun you have BT; get back to us in 5-10,000 rounds. Perhaps I'm a snob, I've been called much worse, but Taurus revolvers and pistols alike have given me ( and many, many others) serious service issues--failure to feed, failure to fire, cylinder out of time, etc. If you can get great service from Taurus handguns then more power to you, but I've had them fail too often (as in always) to have confidence in them as a CCW firearm and believe my dollars are best spent on another manufacturer's product. For the record, I don't enjoy spending unnecessary money on any item, but I place a greater emphasis on value than cost. Some might call it snobbery, I call it prudence.......
    Well, it will be a long time before I put that many rounds down range with this ccw pistol. One of my co-workers has this same model and he now has 700.00 down range and no miss feed or trouble. I own S&W, Colt, Ruger and Taurus revolvers and pistols. I have had no trouble with any of them accept a S&W and viewing how this one responds at the range and my friends not having any problem with his police model, I don't think I will, but if I do I will send it back, but really don't think that will happen. I know so many who do not and have not had any trouble with their Taurus, but you certainly have the right to have your opinion as I do mine.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I own S&W, Colt, Ruger and Taurus revolvers and pistols. I have had no trouble with any of them accept a S&W and viewing how this one responds at the range and my friends not having any problem with his police model, I don't think I will, but if I do I will send it back, but really don't think that will happen.
    Like you I own or have owned an array of handguns, but unlike you I've had some issues with guns manufactured by many (if not most) manufacturers. Guns are consumable items and when the shot count gets high enough I do not fret a little mishap or the need for tuning.

Maybe a couple of our regular gunsmith posters will chime in, but IME Taurus handguns need attention at a rate all out of proportion to their market-share. For a gun that's not going to be shot a lot, maybe that doesn't matter, but if shooting a bunch is a goal (and reliability a necessity) then I'm not merely stating an opinion when I say that there are much better choices than Taurus handguns.....

I am going to rain on the parade a bit! Today I got out with the Taurus 65 and a Browning XBolt 308 to have some fun. Had 30 some loads worked up for the XBolt and figured I would shoot the M65 whilst the 308 cooled as it got to a sunny 85 here today! Good news was I found some real nice loads for the XBolt.
    Bad news was I woulda thrown the M65 in the river if I had been closer! Gun dry fired pretty good, when pulling the trigger it was pretty smooth, however when cocking the hammer it had a noticable drag on at least 2 chambers. That might work its way out after some use - don't know?
    Now here is the clincher - I loaded first 6 with light 38's to just make sure it was all hunky dory - had a hard time closing the cylinder, then I could not cock it or re-open it!
    Finally with brute force I cocked and fired the 6 rounds hoping then it would open - it did but after one heck of a fight and a lot of cussing! Upon inspection you could see a major burr where the cut was made for the cylinder advance arm to work.
    There is no way this was tested before it left the factory! I could grind it off but I am sending it back so they can see the pathetic job it left the factory in - if they care???
    This one will be sold as soon as I get it back - no way would I want my daughter to try to depend on this puppy... Uggg!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Let it rain, sometimes it needs to rain. I sure hope you get it fixed.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Like you I own or have owned an array of handguns, but unlike you I've had some issues with guns manufactured by many (if not most) manufacturers. Guns are consumable items and when the shot count gets high enough I do not fret a little mishap or the need for tuning.

Maybe a couple of our regular gunsmith posters will chime in, but IME Taurus handguns need attention at a rate all out of proportion to their market-share. For a gun that's not going to be shot a lot, maybe that doesn't matter, but if shooting a bunch is a goal (and reliability a necessity) then I'm not merely stating an opinion when I say that there are much better choices than Taurus handguns.....
    Yes, you could be right on the rate of all out of proportion, I guess I have been lucky, sure hope it stays that way with the Taurus revolvers and pistols I own. Not fun when any gun has to be sent back. I remember sending back a Kimber Monatana that had the scope mount holes out of line. Got a whole new rifle, but the idea that could happen with such a high end quality gun was disconcerting. Sending back a Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 was not any fun either, but it does happen. I will admit Taurus has had more issues it seems, but I still like the ones I have.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Excellent piece for the $$. Let the snobs who have to throw their money at some foofy brand name go right ahead...
    I never knew being a Glock fan made me a snob!

Glad that thing is working for ya though!

I can't get the links to work......

Excellent piece for the $$. Let the snobs who have to throw their money at some foofy brand name go right ahead.
    Glad it's working out for you...I've got a Glock 17 with 35k rounds down the pipe in IDPA competition. When your Taurus gets that many through it you can call me a snob.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Glad it's working out for you...I've got a Glock 17 with 35k rounds down the pipe in IDPA competition. When your Taurus gets that many through it you can call me a snob.
    Talk to me about parts replacement. What schedule did you go with as far as maintenance/reliability? Did you run to parts breakage (if you had any)?

I absolutely KNOW that many (if not all) gun manufacturers can produce a working firearm. With your handgun (testing factor of one, for you), I know its working and might work for you forever. I just cannot disregard other manufacturers track records and use throughout the world. There are reasons people use what works. For me, personally, I cannot poo-poo a polymer-framed striker fired pistol, because I haven't owned one. That said, I likely wont, because of my personal experience with the rugged reliablilty of the Glock family of firearms. Glock, XD, XDm, M&P, whatever...take your pick, but for me PERSONALLY, I won't be choosing Taurus.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Talk to me about parts replacement. What schedule did you go with as far as maintenance/reliability? Did you run to parts breakage (if you had any)?
    Bought the gun in '94- a Gen1 (of course) bone stock with a 5lb trigger. Replaced the guide rod and spring sometime in '98 mostly out of shame and guilt...probably about the 20k mark or so. I competed heavily '96-'00 and shot 1 G17 for almost the entire time. Moved to AK in '00 and only competed in a handful of matches after that whenever I got back to the L48 when a match was close by. Gun still lives with my family down there and gets shot from time to time when I visit.

I had an armorer buddy take it down totally and de-gunk the innards a few times prior to a big match and look for problems...never found any. Ran it 3500 rounds once without cleaning...finally broke down and cleaned it cause it was so filthy it would turn your hands black just touching it. Fired everything through it...cheap remanufactured ammo, amateur reloads, gun show surplus, hot as heck European stuff and a big bunch of Fed. mil spec....ate it all without hiccups.

I've had several more Glocks and been happy with them all....never shot one that much again though (and don't really expect to).
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I can't get the links to work......
    Try these in order, hope they work for you.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_...urus_work.html

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_...3031c-887.html

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-no-more-bull/
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thanks BT. I'd say Cunningham mirrors my experience with function and reliability. The article on Kresser's determination to rebrand Taurus also speaks volumes to their overall QC history. Perhaps they will build a vastly improved handgun in the coming days, but I'll not be their guinea pig.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast