Thread: What to do, what to do...

Default What to do, what to do...

So I rode up to where I want to set up. After the first hill climb I stop at the top and what do I find?? a barrel, RIGHT ON THE TRAIL!!! I got a bit nervous and kept riding on because where I want to set up this year was still way further up than where this was at. No warning signs, no registration sign, no nothing,well expect the barrel within reach of the trail. After I got the GPS of the spot I wanted, forgot the GPS the first time, I came back through and took a look around for any signs I may missed. I found that the shooting lanes at this station are going across the wheeler path!! I was going to use my wheeler to take bait in and then ride back down and hike back up to hunt, but with this station right on the path up it makes me a little nervous because it is unseen until you are on top of it.

So my question is, Do I leave a note or tattle?? And do I give up on the spot I want and find another one?

I would leave a note first and see what happens. Maybe say something like "were you planning on hunting this bait station?" If so please post your sign to warn people as required by law." Some people have no common sense and it ruins it for others. Sad

Maybe the guy had just dropped off the barrel on the side of the trail and is planning on coming back later to set up farther off the trail. Could have just wanted to save the trouble of having to pack it in with him when he wants to set up the bait station. Just a situation I could possibly see.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbustn' View Post
    So I rode up to where I want to set up. After the first hill climb I stop at the top and what do I find?? a barrel, RIGHT ON THE TRAIL!!! I got a bit nervous and kept riding on because where I want to set up this year was still way further up than where this was at. No warning signs, no registration sign, no nothing,well expect (sp??) the barrel within reach of the trail. After I got the GPS of the spot I wanted, forgot the GPS the first time, I came back through and took a look around for any signs I may missed. I found that the shooting lanes at this station are going across the wheeler path!! I was going to use my wheeler to take bait in and then ride back down and hike back up to hunt, but with this station right on the path up it makes me a little nervous because it is unseen until you are on top of it.

So my question is, Do I leave a note or tattle?? And do I give up on the spot I want and find another one?
    Are we to assume there is a violation? Are we to assume the barrel was filled with bait (hence a bait barrel and not just a barrel)? Are we to assume the trail is a maintained trail? Or the top of the hill within distance of a maintained trail, highway?

What genius places their barrel on a used trail not to mention shooting lanes across the same trail, WOW. As Tbone said I'd leave a note just the way he said. I would also leave a way of contacting to discuss a feasible plan that may work for both of you take a picture or get some other proof that you left a note andif that doesn't work I would do as your doing and place my bait further up the trail as well. I would Imagine you are using a ATV or some other means to get to your intended site so sneaking up on a bear feeding at the bait should be a none issue as they will hear you long before you get there.
    I would drive right on through to my bait. If questioned by the current baiter he has no recourse really.
    A few times of driving through and they should get the picture.
    One other thing if this a used as a hiking trail also he is putting people at risk by being on the trail like that especially without warning.

I had a guy get mad at me one time because I built my cabin right in the middle of the trail he just found.Yep I said and a little farther back I put a outhouse in the middle of it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

What constitutes a publicly maintained trail? Are two ruts in the mud enough or does the state need to be spending money before it's "maintained."
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I thought I was 1/4 mile away from a 4 wheeler trail not publicly maintained and it cost $250 ticket and moving my sight