Thread: Black Bear in PWS

Default Black Bear in PWS

I am headed out to PWS for the weekend and I am bringing my rifle just in case a black bear presents itself. I am a novice hunter and after reading the reg's and getting my black bear tag online I just wanted to double check with the local experts to make sure I had this all sorted out.

The way it looks to me if I shoot a bear I must salvage the whole thing basically. Meat and hide/skull then have to go to in to get sealed. I figure the chances of me getting a bear are slim but I might as well have my ducks in a row.

Thanks in advance.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Yes that is correct Sir. Technically the ribs and neck can be left, but not much more weight to bring the whole carcas. You have 30 days in most units to get it sealed. Obviously it is better just to seal as soon as possible and freeze then continue to the taxi or sell, whatever you decide.

One thing to keep in mind since you're perhaps new to the process -- for a number of years it has been illegal to shoot bear in PWS from a boat. Make sure you are on shore for your final stalk. Good luck, and fair weather! PM or call me at 440-4135 if you'd like free skinning/field prep instructions, as I'm here in Eagle River.

Thanks for the offer of help skinning, if I get real lucky I might take you up on the help. My plan right now is to gut the bear and pull as much meat out of it without damaging the hide, then haul the reminder back to town. I had contacted one of the tannery's in Anchorage and they will skin the animal for a bit extra. I really don't expect to get a bear on this trip but I wanted to be ready just in case.
    I have another hunt planed in a couple of weeks with an experienced bear hunter and unless I see a good bear on the beach begging to be shot I will be passing.

Oh and shooting for the boat was already on the list of don't do's.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Looking to try to stick a black bear out of Cordova. Anyone know of any boats for rent and or wiling to pay for gas. I have hunted here before but my boat broke down so I'm out of luck. Thanks
    Travis

Just looking to hit the bays towards Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    My plan right now is to gut the bear and pull as much meat out of it without damaging the hide, then haul the reminder back to town. I had contacted one of the tannery's in Anchorage and they will skin the animal for a bit extra.
    Sir,

Its truly best to get the skin off of the critter while afield. That'll give the meat and hide a chance to cool down. Warmth breeds bacteria which can lead to meat spoilage and could cause the hair to slip from the hide after tanning. Here's an article about the subject>> http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...arbaiting.care

and another>> http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...nting.meatcare

You'll learn much when you go on the hunt with your more experienced friend.

Good luck, be safe.

akiceman25
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

It's best to skin him out there and leave the skull and paws in the hide. It very easy. Just take you time and you'll be fine.
    Then you can come back here and tells us it was a lot easier than you thought it out to be.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Sir,

Its truly best to get the skin off of the critter while afield. That'll give the meat and hide a chance to cool down. Warmth breeds bacteria which can lead to meat spoilage and could cause the hair to slip from the hide after tanning. Here's an article about the subject>> http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...arbaiting.care

and another>> http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...nting.meatcare

You'll learn much when you go on the hunt with your more experienced friend.

Good luck, be safe.

akiceman25
    Great post!

some good advice here. It is best to get the hide off quickly as you can. Yes the first time can be completely overwhelming but just take your time it is really not that difficult once you start. Dont sweat the small mistakes the tannery will probably put more holes in the hide during the tanning process then you would do in the field.Heck I pushed a stick through a bears ear before trying to turn it and taxi fixed it. When flat skinning a bear just try to keep the cuts in the thick of the hair on the legs. Lots of good info out there on skinning and even a taxidermist sponser on this sight that I am sure could give you some pointers. get out there and have some fun after all its a heck of an experience chasing bears in PWS..

The black hide of a bear, if left in the sun will really soak up some heat. So I'll say again.....get that hide off asap if you want some prime eating meat. Cut the wrists off, and the head off at the base of the scull while leaving the skin intact, and leave the rest for the taxidermist. Nothing to it really.....

Bear meat is not like meat from the ungulate family, where aging at the proper temperature is ok or even benefical.
    Bears are like pigs and need to be cooled down and processed, so removing the hide is #1.....
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

After you get the hide off and get back to the boat, immediately soak your meat in the water for an hour or so, then hang it up and let the breeze dry the meat for a couple of hours. A butcher told me to do that 25 years ago and I tried it on some caribou and it worked amazingly well. Now, I do that with all my critters. It seems counter intuitive, but water transfers heat 44 times faster than ambient air and the outer meat is already naturally wet when you skin it - that white membrane stuff. Go slow, watch the beaches, give at least a quarter mile to put the stalk on and make sure you are down wind, and I'll bet you are bringing home your first bear solo. Good luck.