Thread: Float plan ?

Default Float plan ?

Since I'm new to this we filled out a float plan last time. But I was wondering do you guys add a day or 2 extra for return is case you get held up somewhere by weather ? Or does the harbor give you a certain time before they contact someone

Thanks
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I have never filed a float plan with the Harbor Master. My thought is that I could be lost at sea for 10 years and until the parking lot guy complains because he hasn't been paid for my parking, nobody would know that I was missing. I just tell someone that i know when I expect to be back, and I have a Spot I can use to let my wife know I got delayed.

Thats funny!! I have a spot also but the wife will know where I'm at because shes in the boat also
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I've heard people hail the Coast Guard on the VHF radio, asking them to call someone to relay a message. So if my wife were with me and we got delayed and I was going to miss work or someone was going to be missing me/us and worry, the CG could make a call. Probably glad to do it to avoid someone calling the CG to report someone overdue and potentially have the CG out looking for someone they think may be in trouble.

That float plan box at the dock is foolish! Who the bleep could actually keep track of that? It's dangerous to think that someone is actually checking that thing. Someone is going to suffer the consequences of it's broken system someday. I always tell someone and have a default plan for time and location, not some stupid box that no one has any ability to actually check or control!

You can hand the float plan to the harbor master if you figure they never check the box.

I don't know if the float plans do any good, I do it more for my wife's piece of mind.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I never fill one out because I never know where i will end up out there in PWS. My luck would be getting lost somewhere other than where the float plan says I will be, and they never look for me in the correct location.

I usually let someone at home know when I will be back. I also carry a SPOT and check in with the wife once a day on it, if she is not with me. Have been considering buying a second hand Sat phone for emergencies, also.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

The Whittier Harbor Master does not track any float plans submitted to them, they do not have enough personnel to be able to track them. The only time the Harbor would use them is if someone actually called them trying to locate someone and then they would turn the plan over to interested parties. It would be huge effort trying to track them, people in a hurry to get to the tunnel and not closing them out. You are better off giving the plan to a friend staying on land and then call them when you get back. I don't file a plan because my plans so often change, otherwise you are stuck to the plan.

I have a "Float Plan" email template that I made for myself to send to close family/friends who may need to contact me in case of emergency, as we usually are out a few days at a time. I have complete description of boat and radio call sign; probable areas I intend to visit; name(s) of those on board. I also include contact #'s for the Harbor Master, AK State Troopers, and USCG. They are instructed to call them ONLY in case of a true emergencey (i.e.- "your father was in a bad car wreck and is hospitalized".) I give approximate return date, with instructions regarding possible weather delays. This just lets them know roughly where I am and a general starting point in case they need to contact me.

Here's what i have, if the you know what hits the fan i'm pretty confident i will be found.
    ACR2.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Here's what i have, if the you know what hits the fan i'm pretty confident i will be found.
    ACR2.jpg
    I'm with Steve. A Plb or Epirb is the safest thing to have and make sure significant others know ROUGHLY where you will be.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I carry a spot. I like tracking and checking in.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    I'm with Steve. A Plb or Epirb is the safest thing to have and make sure significant others know ROUGHLY where you will be.
    I think with the built in GPS they know more than roughly where you are.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    ACR2.jpg
    I have a different model (Global Fix Pro) but does the same thing.. if it hits the water or I flip the switch someone is going to be looking for me and know where I am within a few hundred feet. I have mine mounted in a bracket in the cabin of the boat. The bracket is held to the wall with Velcro... if the crap hits the fan I can pull it off the wall as I exit the cabin.

I have considered a Spot as well, just to let people know we are safe and everything is okay but have not bought it yet.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

For extended trips I have always provided a float plan. Either while at sea or on rivers. I also have an ePirb, radios (2), GPS, And a sat phone. I've have some close calls but fortunately never really needed it. Just some extra precautions for me plus it keeps the family happy they generally know where I'm at.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I have a different model (Global Fix Pro) but does the same thing.. if it hits the water or I flip the switch someone is going to be looking for me and know where I am within a few hundred feet. I have mine mounted in a bracket in the cabin of the boat. The bracket is held to the wall with Velcro... if the crap hits the fan I can pull it off the wall as I exit the cabin.

I have considered a Spot as well, just to let people know we are safe and everything is okay but have not bought it yet.
    Check the instructions for your Global Fix Pro. I think you should be able to press a button which will send a telephone message that all is okay with you. It willl not cancel any search for you . . .