Thread: Ruger P95 Question

Question Ruger P95 Question

Got a question for anyone knowing about the Ruger P95 (or similar pistols)...
    I am thinking about getting one of these as my bedroom gun - to lay out on the dresser at night just in case. I like it because it has the exposed hammer, the Picitanny rail, and it comes in 9mm (so I don't have to buy separate ammo for it). I am wondering if I have the magazine loaded with one in the pipe and I manually let the hammer down, will there be any tension on any springs other than the magazine spring? I am hoping that decocked like this, the gun will act like a double-action revolver and all that's needed is to pick it up, point, and shoot if needed. But I don't want it to sit there for who knows how long with springs under tension and have those springs "set" and the gun malfunction just when I need it most.

Before anyone gives me the suggestion of "Well if you want a double action revolver, why not get a double action revolver?" - I looked into these. And aside from them being about half again as much as the P95, they don't come with the Picitanny rail (I want to add a light/laser to the gun) and they don't have the capacity the Ruger has. But it may be that I will have to go with a revolver to get the pick up/point/shoot quality that I need most.

Thoughts?

I donít know about P95s but even if there is compressed springs it isnít a big deal these days. Modern springs (say from aprox 1985 on) can be held in full compression for decades and not loose more than maybe 10/15% of their strength and only the mag spring would be anything approaching full compression. There have been tests of this done by the 1911 condition one guys and spring degradation is pretty much a non issue for many years anymore.

Also there are light and lazor options for revolvors out there but you can never match the round count of an auto. On my night stand there is a 357 Blackhawk since I have used it so much that I don't need to be awake to use it and next to it is a good hand held LED as I often want to shine a light without pointing a gun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I believe the P95 is the same as the P345 that I have. DA/SA When it is decocked with one in the pipe, it is just that, decocked. No tension on any springs. First pull is double action like a revolver, after that it single action pull with some takeup in the trigger. I keep one in the pipe and decocked with safety off, both at the nightstand and when carrying. I wish is it was strictly a decocker but there is also a safety. You can have the gun decocked AND have the safety on. Which to me is unsafe! At one time they did make a decocker only P345.

You don't really "let the hammer down" like you do with a revolver, you flip the switch which rolls a "striker" away from the firing pin and the hammer drops.

I like the decocked DA/SA action. In the winter I can walk with the gun in my pocket, decocked but pull it out and just pull the trigger like a revolver. I wouldn't carry a 1911 cocked and locked in my pocket :O

I guess the Sig DA/SA is one sweet action. More $$ than the Rugers.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

IMHO, a light attached to guns is a bad idea...makes you a target and you end up pointing a loaded gun with the light...same problem with the laser.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I've had a couple of P series ruger's, a 9mm and still have the 45. They are reliable and suprisingly accurate guns. They don't have the cult following of other types of pistols so you can find used ones reasonably priced. I haven't looked at the details of the firing mechanism, but I would expect that decocked the springs (asside from the magazine) are not under tension.

Now to me the da feel of an auto isn't nearly as nice as the da on a revolver. That said, as far as point, pull the trigger and shoot, the ruger p series will go bang. If you're not in an instantaneous draw and fire situation, you can cock the hammer back to get the sa trigger pull.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    ...Now to me the da feel of an auto isn't nearly as nice as the da on a revolver. That said, as far as point, pull the trigger and shoot, the ruger p series will go bang. If you're not in an instantaneous draw and fire situation, you can cock the hammer back to get the sa trigger pull.
    I agree. I like my revolvers but this one serves a purpose as an off the shelf tool. NIB $500, nine rnds of 45acp, DA/SA, packable in an IWB, accurate, reliable after 1000rnds of testing, trigger is fine for its intended use, grips fits my hand and its Made in the USA.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again