Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Itp 589 Tires, Any Good ???

Default Itp 589 Tires, Any Good ???

I Recently Moved To Nome And Got A Grizzly 660. I Thought About Getting Some Itp 589 Tires For It But Wanted To Ask If Anyone Had Any Opinions On Them First. I Will Be Using The Atv To Get To Good Fishing Spots And Want Something With A Little More Traction. Any Thoughts On These?

Default 589's

I have used Titan 589's and ITP 589's. Both are incredibly tough tires with decent traction. They lack side wall traction though.

Personally, this is just my thoughts, I would only buy 589's if I was going to stud them for icy trails. Otherwise I would use Maxxis MudBugs. If you plan to ride your Grizz on a lot of ice studded 589's are a great choice. Otherwise I would look into a set of mudbugs.

Mudbugs are great a choice for snow, mud, trails, sand, rocks, gravel, roads, and just about any other terrain you can think of. I have used most ATV tires and the bugs are my fav. There are still a few others I need to test out.

I have 1500 miles on my 28" bugs and they still look new, except for the few cut lugs I have from one too many nose to the sky wheelies.

The 589's are good tires but I prefer bugs. The titan 589's have a center groove and cant be studded. The ITP 589's are the ones that have a lug thick enough to stud.

Default tires

I have an 05 660 Grizzly. I looked at many different tires and between all my friends I have seen a big assortment of tires. I chose Bridgstone mud hooks myslef. The reasons: more top speed on loose sand or rocks like on the beach, they ride much smoother on hard ground and the tread is plenty knarly for serious mud, well at least for me anyway. My friends have mud lites,589, etc and they have never pulled me out period. The Bridgstones are a little cheaper than 589's or Mud lites if that is a concern. Here is a link to a set of them on e-bay (no I'm not the seller) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4589082072

Default Tires

I would like at some other tires, the ITP 589's are way to heavy. My friend has a set on his Foreman and though he gets good traction with them, he complains about the weight all the time. If your not a full time mud rider I would look at the Mud Lites, they are a very good all around tire, not the best for mudding but still a very good tire. I rode my quad this past Sunday and got into some snow and mud, got stuck once when i buried the machine in snow up to the frame but other than that, they are excellent tires. They are considerably lighter than the 589's and most other tires, paired with a light wheel you can't go wrong with them.

Default Good Point

Good point AkHunter45, 589's are really heavy but thats what makes them so tough. If you ride areas that have a lot objects poking at the sidewall of the tire 589's would be my tire of choice.

Also Bugs are just as light, if not ligther than mudlites. Both are good tires, but I still have my preferences. :-)

Default Kenda Executioner

If you go to the forums at http://www.Highlifter.com tires have been discussed to death! From what I gather, the hardcore mudders don't like the mud lites and they say other than the HL Outlaws, the Kenda Executioners are a great option to the 589's. I'm thinking about them for my 6x6. They are a little cheaper than the 589's as well.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default HL

Highlifter is a good forum but most of the members generalize and categorize these tires without even using them. Just my observation.

Default HL

I don't disagree with you about Highlifter, a lot of the posts are from wanna be's who think they know what they are talking about. Lately though there have been some first hand stories about mudlites and comparing them with other models. My suggestion is to look back over many of the old and new posts and draw the common thread.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I also agree with you WaterGremlin, most of the guys on that forum read what others say about tires and take it as gospel instead of asking people who actually have experience with them. That sight is also mainly for mud riders so I take most of the info with a grain of salt. Since i'm not a die hard mud rider I don't know to much about Bug or Gators or Laws or any of those other mud tires but I do know about the 589's and the Lights. Can't wait to go riding again!

Default HL

I'm not sure why you guys are bashing the HL forums, there is a wealth of knowledge there. I agree there is a lot of junk but when there is a forum with 10-20,000 posts and excellent, established mechanics, racers, hunters, and mud boggers you have to admit there is some good information there. I have been researching tires extensively lately and was just reporting what I had found. Some of the posts even had links to videos of the tires in action and other forums where a lot of the same information was being relayed. No doubt the 589 is a good tire, but the mud lites have not been looked upon favorably from what I have seen.
    AKmud

Default 660 / tires

I have an 04 Grizz 660. First season had stock tires. Hated life!

I currently run 27inch mud lites w/ 2 in lift. Not many people like doing this, but I haven't been stuck since. Except for snow. Wether 589's, Mud lites, or anything else. If the snow is not packed you will dig a hole that you may not get out of. The 26 mudlites are nice to, they are a good medium, but I like um big.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud
    I'm not sure why you guys are bashing the HL forums, there is a wealth of knowledge there. I agree there is a lot of junk but when there is a forum with 10-20,000 posts and excellent, established mechanics, racers, hunters, and mud boggers you have to admit there is some good information there. I have been researching tires extensively lately and was just reporting what I had found. Some of the posts even had links to videos of the tires in action and other forums where a lot of the same information was being relayed. No doubt the 589 is a good tire, but the mud lites have not been looked upon favorably from what I have seen.
    Nobody's bashing High Lifter, it is a great site with tons of info but you can only believe so much of it. By the way, what have you SEEN, not what have you read or heard, that makes you think the Mudlights are not a good tire? Just curious.

Default HL

Im not bashing HL, just stating a few general obersvations that I have noticed over the years. Its a good site and I have learned more than I care to describe from that page. I used to order all my aftermarket parts from them too. Once there is a common portrayal of a tire or atv a lot of users hold that opinion tight and hand if off as advice. Sometimes its helpful and sometimes its not. I know this happens on all forums, but when theres 20,000 members on a forum it happens on a large scale.

Back to the original subject. If you are willing to spent the extra dollar I would invest in offset rims too. The grizzlies I have rode were kind of tippy in off camber situations. Offset rims will help correct that. It really depends how many sidehills you will experience.

Default HL Outlaws

I used to have a quad that I put Outlaws on along with a lift kit, skid plates, locker, etc. Had to have the 450 bored out to a 500 to turn the tires. 1 1/4" lugs is a lot of bite. All I can say is that they are bad ***** tires. Went places other quad wouldn't think about going.

My only experience with after market tires was to add 26 in Mudlites to my King Quad. My King Quad will go through mud holes that will stick my Polaris 6x6 with stock tires

Default Just curious

Snowwolfe,

How much of that performance difference do you think is traction versus clearance? Since the 6x6 only has 25" tires the 26" height difference might be the key factor. I wish I could go bigger on the 6x6 but clearance between the rear tires then is the issue.....
    AKmud

Your only gaining a half inch by going to 26 inch tires, shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Default 25" vs 26"

Many 26" tires have deeper thread than their 25" counterparts. If I remember right most 25" aftermarket tires are around 3/4" and 26" aftermarkets are around 1 1/4".

Here are some of my thoughts, I could be wrong and I could be right. He might only gain half and inch but that is because the tire is being compressed downward loosing precious ground clearance. There is no horizontal compression so there isnt much length lost horizontally. I dont have much experience with 6x's but I wouldnt plan on the tire loosing length horizontally when they are strapped on. Most tires do run small though.

You could always extend the swing arm. :-) I saw a picture of a 6x with 29.5" outlaws on all corners that was chopped, hacked, and manhandled to the point of beastliness. Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Swing arm

I like the photo! I've seen that somewhere before or one similar....I think it said "Official Honda recovery vehicle" or something like that.

I thought about extending the swing arm but my welding/engineering skills may not be up to the task. Maybe I'll try it when the beast has a few more years/miles on it. It still is a little too shiny for me to be hacking away on. Also, I'm not sure it would have enough power (stock) to turn those big meats very well. When I tackle the swing arm maybe I'll throw a 700 powerplant in it as well. That would be something to see!
    AKmud

As you know the 6x6 has limited ground clearance. The only point I was trying to make was how impressed I was by the Mudlites on a 4 wheeler. I never in a million years thought my King Quad would out perform my 6x6 in the mud. With the mudlites the King is a clear winner. However I still choose the 6x6 for hunting due to it's smoother ride and larger carrying capacity.
    I am seriously considering adding 4 rear 25 in Mudlites (12 in wide) to the 6x6. These tires are wider and the tread is about an inch deep. I don't think the 500 cc motor of the 6x6 would have adequate power for 27 in tires or larger (assumming the swingarm was extended)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast