Thread: Traditional Use Bush strips.

Default Traditional Use Bush strips.

Some thoughts of traditional use strips.
    I was talking with a local 135 operator today and we were discussing how a couple customarily used Lakes are actually not on the authorized list of landing lake under the regs of one the Kachemak Bay State Park. The main reg page says yes you can land, but further digging shows a very limited list of where.

"""" 11 AAC 20.110. Aircraft

(a) The use of aircraft is allowed in Kachemak Bay State Park on saltwater, gravel bars, Emerald Lake, China Poot Lake, Hazelle Lake, and Petrof Lake except for the purpose of practice landings. (b) A person may not land a helicopter in Kachemak Bay State Park without a permit from the director

"""""

Regardless of the fact that people have been flying in and out of there long before the Park was set up. And apparently the local Ranger is trying to help, but rules are rules from above....

So it got me to thinking about an old traditional use gravel strip which is next to the large lake in question.
    I like to go in and out of that strip while on wheels or better yet when doing a BFR for a good Super Cub driver. Then we can take in a couple branch clippers and clear some of the alders that are trying to grow up around the strip itself. Maybe even take a can of white paint over to paint some of the rocks which are stacked along the sides of the runway as markers.
    It has been a couple years since I have been into that strip because I think I have been too busy. But if it grows over and becomes unusable, the state or federal pencil pushers from far away will make sure nobody lands there again.

Just a thought for you folks who know of a few of these remote clearings that we all take for granted. Maybe a little strip maintenance this summer would be a good idea.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

There used to be a pretty nifty strip just off the south side of Chinitna Bay in that little valley that leads southward from the bay. It became grown over through the years, but the strip itself could still be quite usable, if someone could hit the beach at Chinitna Bay and walk overland about 1/2 mile to the strip.

Research reveals that a floatplane can operate on and off any body of water that allows power boat operations. It's the same with TV antennas. If an area permits any sort of TV reception antenna, it must also permit all types of TV reception antenna. That goes for satellite dishes, cable, or rooftop antennas.

Google Earth the strip I was talking about and look here.
    59 37.644'N
    151 8.247'W

I am trying to find the place Griz is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Google Earth the strip I was talking about and look here.
    59° 37.644'N
    151° 8.247'W

I am trying to find the place Griz is talking about.
    It's along the road from Chinitna Bay to Iniskin [and used to be called the Iniskin Strip, an oil exploration strip]. It lies roughly at 59 degrees 43 minutes North and 153 degrees 08 minutes West, Seward Meridian. It's no longer shown on the Kodiak Sectional. Midway along the south shore of Chinitna Bay, and at the "cabin" shown on that Sectional, you'll see both a creek and a road. Follow those "upstream" [southward] to about the middle of the narrow valley there. Can't miss it. If you go far enough south along that road, you'll see it terminate at "Iniskin." The strip used to be just north of that. Used to be excellent brown bear hunting in there, by the way . . . . .

That must be what I thought was an old road bed from camp Point south down towards Iniskin. I have seen the lines of younger and larger trees growing down by that north-south ridge that looks like a giant viking burial mound. That would take some work with saws, but it sure would be in a nice spot.

Here is another strip which is slowly eroding away. The old saw-mill strip at Jakolof Bay .
    40 years ago it was a hopping place with a very busy saw-mill and logging operation right next to it. Now it is just a wide spot on a gravel beach. The problems now are constant erosion ( I Think they put a lot of the gravel there long ago from the old Chrome Mountain mining road) and another problem, its that occasionally some yahoo leaves sharp objects on the beach, or other weird items like nets, lumber or vehicles.
    I racked up a bunch of sheet-rock screws a few years ago.

59 27.143'N
    151 31.282'W

I have some aerial photos someplace or another but can't find them right now...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is another strip which is slowly eroding away. The old saw-mill strip at Jakolof Bay .
    40 years ago it was a hopping place with a very busy saw-mill and logging operation right next to it. Now it is just a wide spot on a gravel beach. The problems now are constant erosion ( I Think they put a lot of the gravel there long ago from the old Chrome Mountain mining road) and another problem, its that occasionally some yahoo leaves sharp objects on the beach, or other weird items like nets, lumber or vehicles.
    I racked up a bunch of sheet-rock screws a few years ago.

59° 27.143'N
    151° 31.282'W

I have some aerial photos someplace or another but can't find them right now...
    Hey, Float Pilot, is that an old Cub-90, or maybe a 125-hp Super Cub, in the thumbnail? Good lookin' little plane . . .

It's my little PA-11-90hp made from a 1946 J3C and lots of Atlee Dodge STC's.

Does the thumbnail gizmo open up for you when you click on it?

I used to know how to make them post as a big photo, but I do not know how to do that with the new format.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Float Pilot, that strip is still ok but there are some good size rock on the NE end. I'm going clamming out there next week and will take a look and clear any big stuff off. I'll let you know, I was over in the big city of Homer today , too busy retreated back to slowdovia. Tom

Yes I went to the store yesterday and all the summer weirdos were here. It looked like a giant Adams Family Reunion. One reason I love winter.

It's my little PA-11-90hp made from a 1946 J3C and lots of Atlee Dodge STC's.

Does the thumbnail gizmo open up for you when you click on it?

I used to know how to make them post as a big photo, but I do not know how to do that with the new format.
    Nice plane !!! Yes, your thumbnail opens on my PC to about 5 1/2" x 7", plenty good enough to read . . .

Ha float pilot you aught to be a stand up..that's funny as heck Ha!.

Default Can do

Just a thought for you folks who know of a few of these remote clearings that we all take for granted. Maybe a little strip maintenance this summer would be a good idea.
    Whelp I got th BBW and 8.5 x 10 x 11 mains installed last winter..Got an A&P that will sign off on my doing the VGs. A little more practice and I'll go in and clear 'em all out. Love to.

I had nice sawmill. Me and my Husky 036 and 6-chains can get 'er done.

Glad I got the ACK 406 intalled..No doubt I'll wreck some doing it. Long as I dont kill the pups Ha!

MVC-066S.JPGMVC-065S.JPG

RR