Thread: Boat BBQ Grill's / What brand You Prefer?

Default Boat BBQ Grill's / What brand You Prefer?

Really considering a BBQ grill for the boat. Seen a coupl different brands and designs out there. Which one does the general AK boaters seem to prefer?
    Where can I find them locally for sale?
    Plenty on the Internet for decent prices it seems.

Magma grill, Newport model.

I like the Weber Q100
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I have the Magma Newport. Instead of the propane bottles, I tee'ed off the propane canister for my stove inside the boat and it works great. I used a pole holder mount for a scotty, and this works great as well.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Magma Marine Kettle 2 Gas Grill party size. I have propane stove/oven but have not gone to the extent jrogers has to tap into it, one less bottle to pack around. I use the propane bottles. One thing to consider is where are you going to store it, the round one fits well under one of my dinette seats. Also the Newport and Kettle 2 grills have anti blowout design so they will stay lit when it is windy. I had the standard Marine Kettle grill and had numerous problems with it blowing out when it was windy.

The Dickinson Sea-B-Q is a great grill.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Magma grill, Newport model.
    This. I have a rod holder mount that works very well.

Used a magma for a couple of years and IMO they really are nice to look at. Problem with them being (at least the one I owned) is low btu output. It would take 15 minutes just to cook a burger.
    Sold the magma and then started carrying a fold up Coleman stove such as this one:
    http://www.coleman.com/product/perfe...tCategory=2010

Much happier. Easy to make coffee or cook an entire meal quickly. Plus the Coleman takes up much less space.

I have a Force-10 grill (14" I think) that we've used a couple of seasons. It's not bad, but I would prefer a something that is a little bigger and produces more heat.

This winter, a friend gave us his old 17" Magma Party Kettle. I was missing the venturi tube & regulator, so we're in $80 or so to get it going again. We built a rod-holder mount (I refuse to pay the $60+ asking price for one) for it, so I'm anxious to try it out one of these weekends to see how it runs.

Sam's Club & Costco have had stainless portable grills the last couple of seasons. For $100, I thought they might do rather nicely. It's a little big, but at 20,000 BTUs I doubt I'd be wishing for more heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Sold the magma and then started carrying a fold up Coleman stove such as this one:
    http://www.coleman.com/product/perfe...tCategory=2010

Much happier. Easy to make coffee or cook an entire meal quickly. Plus the Coleman takes up much less space.
    We have a 2-burner stove on our boat, in addition to the bbq grill. I haven't seen the fold-up models, like the one in your link, though. I'd like to get something more portable than ours, but I'd like to make sure it'll support something heavy. How does the fold up model do with a heavy kettle of water for boiling shrimp?

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I like the Weber Q100
    +1 on the Weber. I really like the looks of that coleman though, going to check that out.

Only one I've been around that I liked was the Kuuma grill on a mount from these folks. All stainless with an attached lid, and out of the way. Only downside I found was when I dropped the owner's barbecue tongs over the side.

Noodle around the site. I really like that rail system and will have one on my boat before summer is out. Not cheap, but in this case you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    We have a 2-burner stove on our boat, in addition to the bbq grill. I haven't seen the fold-up models, like the one in your link, though. I'd like to get something more portable than ours, but I'd like to make sure it'll support something heavy. How does the fold up model do with a heavy kettle of water for boiling shrimp?
    Dan,

It does really well. We took it to PWS last May and cooked up shrimp using about a 8 quart pot. Also used a big frying pan when they were being sauteed with garlic and butter. We do use a small piece of that "rubber" open weave shelf lining material underneath it so it doesnt slide around. They are pretty handy stoves. Carry one on the river boat as well for warming up food or heating water for coffee. 10,000 btu's per burner is pretty good for that size stove. Cools down pretty quick and makes a compact package.

Cool. Thanks for the info, Randy!

We have been using the Coleman fold and go stove on the boat for the last couple years and it has been a great little unit. Easy to store and we just set it up on the fish cleaning table at the back of the boat. Keeps food smells and condensation outside the cabin, the only complaint I have about it is the lack of any sort of shield around the burners makes them really susceptible to any wind. This is pretty easily solved by making a couple foil rings to block the breeze though.

I have two:
    1. A small all SS propane from Lowes, $99 a few years ago.
    2. A combo 2 burner with a oven that I use when I go Hunting, got it at Cabelas, but Trustworthy in Soldotna sells them, $249
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Weber Q-100 is the best there is in a small grill. No flare ups....

You know I'm one hell of a cook and can run a grill like no ones business. Any time you fellas wanna send me an invite feel free. Ill bring my own fishin rods!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I love to use all kind of BBQ grills but in case of brands , there are major brands of gas grills including the Lynx Professional Series in the market . Lynx is one of the top selling gas grill brands .

I have used a magma grill with the rod holder attachment for several years, no problems. I use a coleman duel fuel two burner when I want to do more than just grill something.