Thread: legalities for kayaks in salt water

Default legalities for kayaks in salt water

Does anyone know if kayak users in the salt water have to have the same USCG equipment and gear as other boats, to be legal? I would assume that the legal minimums for kayaks are just a PFD, but can anyone speak more on what the legal minimums are?
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default Boating Safety

I sent a PM to the Coast Guard Boating Safety member here. They/he should be able to tell you the answer.

Dave

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Legal requirements

I trust that we are talking about recreational carriage requirements? There are other requirements, such as Rules of the Road, etc. but we can discuss those later! Both the State and Federal carriage (what you need to carry aboard your boat) requirements are generally based on boat length. Some specific requirements, such as registration depend on whether or the boat is powered (for example). Let's take your kayak; (I'll make a couple of assumptions, 1) it's not motorized and 2) it's under 16' in length. Regardless of whether you are in salt water (Federal & sometimes State jurisdiction) or fresh water (State & sometimes Federal jurisdiction), you will need the following: A type I, II, III or V wearable CG approved PFD for each person in good & serviceable condition. Visual Distress Signals, CG approved and unexpired (night only for manual boats), Sound-producing device, NAV/Anchor lights (anchored/underway between sunset and sunrise or areas of restricted visibility).

In much simpler terms, you need a PFD and a whistle if you are kayaking during daylight hours in either salt or fresh water. We find that kayakers are more safety conscious than canoers and often have more than the minimum safety equipment and training. Some 'extra' equipment includes a paddle float for reboarding, a dry suit, mirror/signalling device, handheld VHF radio, etc. Enjoy the water! Mike

Default Thanks

Thanks Mike!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thanks Mike Wow I do make my guides carry alot more than the legal limit of saftey gear!

Rick P

Rick, I would be interested in the requirements you place on your guides. Thanks - Art

Default Same question.

It would be nice to have a good list for salt water trips.
    When I paddled some years ago from Seward to Homer, My list was all about survival first and everything else came second to that.
    I was terrified at first thinking about that trip, it took a couple of days to settle down and enjoy the trip..
    My body was more sore from being tense than from the physical riggers of paddling.
    State of mind is so very important, and a calm mind comes from feeling comfortable about what your are doing.
    Proper safety gear and proper clothing etc.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com