Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronics Upgrade - GPS locking and more...

Default Electronics Upgrade - GPS locking and more...

Ok, I've had it. My chartplotter (Standard Horizon c160) is locking up more and more. I've done everything I can think of, from checking the voltage to sending it back (updated firmware was all they did). So I'm going to replace/upgrade. While I'm at it I'm going to replace the #$%^&* Humminbird depthfinder... sorry I ever bought it. should have done more research but at the time I had to have a replacement right then/there. 500w and will not benefit from a quality 'ducer like the airmars (so I'm told)

So... I'm thinking of either going Furuno 585/Garmin 740, or get fancy and go with a Garmin 4210 and gsd24 sounder, and either setup will have the TM-260 transducer. Of course a lot depends on the fit too.. I still have to measure and see if I can do either, but I'm sure I can... I have my depth/radio/gps all on the helm (24' Hewes) but the 4210 might be a bit massive for the area. If that's the case, then I will got the other route, as I don't want to split screen with the 4208... not much better than the 7" 740.

I don't want to get the 740 sonar version, as running a 7" screen in split screen with the sonar will make each too small to view, IMO. But I do want something bigger than 5", and the touchscreen would be pretty nice to have. Unless anyone can recommend another 7" or so GPS to use with the 585?

so... I'd like to hear feedback from anyone that uses the 4210 with the 24 sounder module- happy? I've talked to a couple of dealers on TheHullTruth, and been told it's on par, or close, with the 585. The idea of having the 10" screen for either the GPS or the sonar would be nice... especially the sonar for dropping shrimp pots.

I know you can't go wrong with the Furuno, and that's my failsafe plan.

Thx for any input
    Jim
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

After upgrading to the Furuno FCV-620, I don't know that I could get talked into going back to a Garmin fish finder. The Furuno is pretty spectacular. We even thought about upgrading to the 585 with a 1kW transducer, but honestly, the 620 and cheap P66 transducer is performing so well (compared to previous Garmin fish finders), we didn't see the urgency. And, the 585 is a BIG unit. I don't think we have the room on the dash for it, anyway.

If you are limited on dash space, like we are, I would go bigger on the GPS and smaller on the fish finder - Garmin 4210 and Furuno FCV-620. Remember, you can use the TM-260 with the 620. It'll run on 600W and you'll gain a lot of sensitivity with the extra elements.

I would avoid a touch screen. If the Garmin touch screen works as poorly as my iPhone does with wet hands, you couldn't GIVE me one. I'm not a fan of touch screens in wet environments. Give me real buttons!

Jim, Sent ya a PM.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    After upgrading to the Furuno FCV-620, I don't know that I could get talked into going back to a Garmin fish finder. The Furuno is pretty spectacular. We even thought about upgrading to the 585 with a 1kW transducer, but honestly, the 620 and cheap P66 transducer is performing so well (compared to previous Garmin fish finders), we didn't see the urgency. And, the 585 is a BIG unit. I don't think we have the room on the dash for it, anyway.

If you are limited on dash space, like we are, I would go bigger on the GPS and smaller on the fish finder - Garmin 4210 and Furuno FCV-620. Remember, you can use the TM-260 with the 620. It'll run on 600W and you'll gain a lot of sensitivity with the extra elements.

I would avoid a touch screen. If the Garmin touch screen works as poorly as my iPhone does with wet hands, you couldn't GIVE me one. I'm not a fan of touch screens in wet environments. Give me real buttons!
    Dan

Do you have the FCV-620 networked into a Garmin system by chance or is it a stand alone unit?
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Just buy the furuno!! Talk/call to Gil(semperfi) over on THT he'll get you lined out.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Hey Steve,
    Gil is the one I'm talking to - he's the one that says the Garmin GSD24 is on par with the Furuno!
    200hp Honda 4stroke

Quote Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
    Hey Steve,
    Gil is the one I'm talking to - he's the one that says the Garmin GSD24 is on par with the Furuno!
    Another electronics guru on another site!! Give this guy a call and see what he has to say about Garmin
    Chris Labozza
    Precision Marine Center
    [914] 235.4023 O
    [914] 490.0019 C
    (Call cell anytime, but email/PMs will be best in lieu of a voicemail.)

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    Dan

Do you have the FCV-620 networked into a Garmin system by chance or is it a stand alone unit?
    Right now it's just a stand alone fish finder. I plan to network (NMEA 0183) the Garmin 2010, Icom 504, and the Furuno together this season, but I just haven't gotten to it yet. I did a lot of boat projects this winter, and I want to play!

Hey Steve,
    A while back Gil was offering a more sensitive version of the standard P66 transducer. It was the P66-HP. They weren't all that expensive, less than $200, and offered more sensitive than the regular P66. This, coupled with a Furuno 620 might be a pretty decent "bang-for-the-buck" for those of use with limited dash space.

Dan

The nmea 2000 networking isn't too hard to do. I've got my little Garmin network (FF, Radar, GPS & VHF (0183)) setup & just got my new Suzuki OB on the network too.This weekend is the last boat project & I will be ready to hit the water.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

We've got an N2K network to capture engine data & fuel burn numbers for our Lowrance LMF gauges, but the only thing I have with NMEA 0183 is the GPS antenna to the 2010. I hate fooling with those tiny wires.

Did you connect your VHF to your N2K network via 0183?

Yes & it was fairly simple. I had to go buy some really tiny crimp on butt connectors & a magnifying glass.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Well... official. Going the Furuno 585 route... just secured the one I was hoping for at a good deal. Now to pick the new GPS to go with it. Of course it'll mean a re-shuffle of electronics at the helm to accommodate the new units/sizes. Might just see if the 740 will squeeze in there...
    200hp Honda 4stroke

Well... official. Going the Furuno 585 route... just secured the one I was hoping for at a good deal. Now to pick the new GPS to go with it. Of course it'll mean a re-shuffle of electronics at the helm to accommodate the new units/sizes. Might just see if the 740 will squeeze in there...
    Now the fun part....... installation. Are you going to network the whole setup?
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

yeah, installing will be fun. I'll have to reshuffle locations to squeeze them all in. That 585 is a monster! But where there's a will there's a way.

As far as networking, to be honest I hadn't thought about it. Not had it yet, and not sure of the benefits. I'll have to do a little searching. But, between the new stuff (FCV585, Garmin 740 and Icom504) it should be easy?
    200hp Honda 4stroke

Glad to hear ya got it figured out. It should be a great set up for sure.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

You will be very happy with the 585. I have had one since they hit the market and love it.
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

I've been looking at the whole networking thing... my outboard is pre-NMEA, so that's out. I also have a NavMan fuel management guage. I have my current chartplotter wired to the Icom 504, but it does not read. But since my chartplotter is dying, that's no surprise.

but... is anyone can either 1) send a link on what is need/how to do it or 2) come over for beers to help network *beers AFTER work done* the 740/504m/585 setup I'll be installing, that would be great! LOL

Not sure what all is needed, and if it really is needed? I see that if networked, I can put marks on the chartplotter from the sounder, but in reality everything is inches from each other. The only thing I absolutely will do will be the GPS/radio combo for the DSC feature.

Is there any other benefit to the whole NMEA network thing?
    200hp Honda 4stroke

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    Right now it's just a stand alone fish finder. I plan to network (NMEA 0183) the Garmin 2010, Icom 504, and the Furuno together this season, but I just haven't gotten to it yet. I did a lot of boat projects this winter, and I want to play!
    Dan - I just hooked up my FCV-585 to my Garmin and Icom radio through the NMEA 0183 connections but haven't splashed it yet to see if it functions OK. The Icom communicated OK but don't know if the three will. I'll post results, likely next weekend when I get down to Seward and figure it out together if I didn't get it right.

Swissy - I wound up locating my 585 on the factory mount instead of overhead so have a new RAM mount for the 585/620 I can let you have for a good deal if you go with the Furuno and want it overhead. BTW, I had very poor performance with the Garmin 520s sounder (it would lock up coming up into shallow water fast - what good is that!!!) so got the Furuno.

I've been looking at the whole networking thing... my outboard is pre-NMEA, so that's out. I also have a NavMan fuel management guage. I have my current chartplotter wired to the Icom 504, but it does not read. But since my chartplotter is dying, that's no surprise.

but... is anyone can either 1) send a link on what is need/how to do it or 2) come over for beers to help network *beers AFTER work done* the 740/504m/585 setup I'll be installing, that would be great! LOL

Not sure what all is needed, and if it really is needed? I see that if networked, I can put marks on the chartplotter from the sounder, but in reality everything is inches from each other. The only thing I absolutely will do will be the GPS/radio combo for the DSC feature.

Is there any other benefit to the whole NMEA network thing?
    I sent you a pm on the nmea info.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast