Thread: Whats a good cold weather v8 battery?

Default Whats a good cold weather v8 battery?

Looking for a new starting battery for my v8 inboard. What cca and grp size are you guys using as a minimum? I have a weldcraft with a 5.7 I don't want to go to start it in the boonies and hear the starter click.

Do you have a 2nd battery? I would have a dedicated starting battery, and a dedicated house battery for everything else. Put a voltage sensing relay between the two batteries so that they both charge when the engine is running, and they are both isolated when the engine is turned off. With a set-up like this, you're sure to have a fresh starting battery whenever you need it.

anything with 850cca would be great. A Chevy duel terminal battery works awesome. Same size as a group 24 except an inch shorter. You can always buy marine terminals or hook the eyelets to the side mount.

How cold are you thinking for weather? Might consider an optima if you are talking really cold...

I would not put a starting battery in a boat it is not design to hold up to the abuse a boat will give a battery. I use interstate 27DC marine in my truck and boat. Do you have two batteries in case you forget to turn off the battery switch.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I would not put a starting battery in a boat it is not design to hold up to the abuse a boat will give a battery. I use interstate 27DC marine in my truck and boat. Do you have two batteries in case you forget to turn off the battery switch.
    I keep a spare deep cycle under the passenger bench seat. Not very cold I usually put away the boats in the fall before it gets below 0*f. I have a selector switch but forgot to turn it completely off so my starter battery was stored over winter with a small draw on it. I think its a 650cca I'll try a 850cca.

There is no normal size battery that could last 8 month with a small drain on it regardless of the temperature. The only answer would be to make sure the battery switch is off, add a low voltage battery switch or a battery tender. What I do is remove the (-) battery terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    There is no normal size battery that could last 8 month with a small drain on it regardless of the temperature. The only answer would be to make sure the battery switch is off, add a low voltage battery switch or a battery tender. What I do is remove the (-) battery terminal.
    If one is ever made let me know! I was just saying that when I started the engine to clear out water in the fall I forgot to turn the switch off, hence the reason for buying a new starting battery. I didn't want to get something that might not have the power on cold days.

Haha, Alaskan, there is stuff you don't know. A 27 dc is a "marine battery" because of the terminal design and reserve capacity (which you don't need for starting). Those starting batteries are made to start engines, that's what they do. They will hold up much better than a dual purpose marine battery, warranties support that fact. I worked at a battery shop for 8 years, I have plenty experience with this...

he OP, the best thing for your battery is to bring it in during the offseason. Batteries naturally discharge and the worse thing you can do to a battery is not use it. A cheap battery tender will add a couple seasons to your battery easily.

Also,low temperature doesn't drain batteries, but puts them at risk of freezing when they discharge. Hot weather is actually harder on batteries than cold...

Buy a Odyssey..................spendy, but will last & last, still disconnect in the winter & use a battery tender to mantain, you will not need to buy another for a long time.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Buy a Odyssey..................spendy, but will last & last, still disconnect in the winter & use a battery tender to mantain, you will not need to buy another for a long time.
    Akgramps I have had nothing but problems with Odyssey batteries when used in vehicles that are not ran on a regular basis. They always discharged at a faster rate than all my other batteries so I stopped running them. Been using Interstates and never have any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Akgramps I have had nothing but problems with Odyssey batteries when used in vehicles that are not ran on a regular basis. They always discharged at a faster rate than all my other batteries so I stopped running them. Been using Interstates and never have any issues.
    I have had the opposite luck........my motorcycle has one from either 03 or 04 and every year I am amazed its still working.....so far so good with the two in the boat, replaced exides that didnt last very long. In my trucks I have had the best luck with motorcraft.....I have not had good luck with napa, and interstates have been disappointimng as well....
    I think you can always get a good one or a bad one from any brand, but battery tenders are important on something that sits for a long time...........especially on todays vehicles as there is a lot more parasitic draw than there use to be.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I have had the opposite luck........my motorcycle has one from either 03 or 04 and every year I am amazed its still working.....so far so good with the two in the boat, replaced exides that didnt last very long. In my trucks I have had the best luck with motorcraft.....I have not had good luck with napa, and interstates have been disappointimng as well....
    I think you can always get a good one or a bad one from any brand, but battery tenders are important on something that sits for a long time...........especially on todays vehicles as there is a lot more parasitic draw than there use to be.
    I agree about the battery tenders, I always pull mine in the fall and set them in the garage on a thick board and rotate them on the tender throughout the winter. So far so good and I hope it stays that way! The Odyssey gave me problems in one of our trucks when it would not get driven for a few weeks, dealt with that for ten years and finally replaced it with an interstate.

The only batteries I have used for the past 15 years have been Odyssey and Interstate. Before that I had good luck with Ford batteries as well.

+1 for dual batteries with a switch.

I had to replace my battery this year. I had a group 24 and had room for the group 27 so I went with the bigger battery. I have a stereo and like to be able to isolate to one battery and run the electronics with no worries. Plus you can turn the switch off and not have any surprises on the boat launch. Once someone bumped the nav light switch in July. Did not realize the lights were on for a week until I went to start it on the boat ramp.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I second the odyssey batteries. One came in my boat from the factory and I bought another for a house batt. I noticed after running the summer both had some spider web cracks on the casings. I sent some pics to the warranty dept. they told me the batts I had were motorcycle batteries and not designed for a fuel vapor environment. They sent me two new auto batteries from Missouri to Fairbanks at no cost. I’ve been running them since 09 without a problem. I also use the heck out of them winching my boat off gravel bars and running a heater all night long.