Thread: Trail Cameras on flyout hunts, or any hunts I guess

Default Trail Cameras on flyout hunts, or any hunts I guess

Thought about this last night and wish I had one when I went on my fall brown bear hunt in 07. Had a bear fence, which worked! But we had a bear sniffing our heads one night, I mean right on top of us and inches away. We seen bears around us for 5 days then they started moving on or hanging else where, or went nocturnal. Seen my camera last night and with my buddy preparing to leave next week for his first ever flyout hunt and brown bear hunt it crosssed my mind. The bear that was sniffing left the biggest track that was we saw that was fresh. Would've been nice to catch him on camera too just see his reactions and actions. Plus any other critters or bears that wondered in or around camp while sleeping.

This past fall we had fox in camp at night and one caribou down river was eaten by a bear. So anyone ever take a game camera out on major hunts for in camp use?

akrstabout,
    Concerning trail cameras for in-camp use......................

After feeding the bears two mountain tents, one food cache, one fly rod cork handle, and getting one raft chomped on during fly-out hunts I have considered posting a trail camera in my camps. But ya-know it is just one more deal to complicate the hunt that I intended to keep simple. But I have thought about it. And I'm surprised that fifteen other forum members haven't responded with stories of rouge bears using their battery operated Thermacell insect repellent devices all night long while listening to their iPods' or making calls on the satellite phone............

While I attempt to keep things simple... I have thought about it...

If you typically keep a complete photo-record of your hunts, I think the trail camera would be an interesting addition to your camp.
    Really, I think it is a great idea.
    Let us know what critters your trail camera captures creeping around your camp.

Hanging a camera would serve what purpose? Pics of watching a bear eat your stuff?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I think that it's an interesting idea but may end up just fueling fear!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Yeah good points guys. Just a thought, never done it. But if I would have been able to get that bear sniffing our heads on camera and his reaction to the shock he got from the bear fence would have been AWESOME! Not to mention how many other bears that might have came close to camp but stayed in the grass leaving no trace. I took pics of the bear tracks, but the one at the bear fence where he squared his body up to the tent and was leaning in for a sniff didn't show the prints, flash washed them out, but still have the pic, just no tracks. Simple is good, never used a bear fence since actually.
    That night that bear did that, was the first night with no wind and I was passed out sleeping pretty hard. Partner woke me up a few times, must have been seconds apart I figure. You know how you get in that dream state and never really wake up fully. He eventually got my attention and when I started to move is when the bear woofed from being shocked we assumed. Another second or two of me coming too I would have most likley fired a 320gr 44mag his direction when hearing the sniffing before he woofed and left! Pretty freaky, but cool too. We had 4 loaded guns in the tent, maybe 5, I think we left the benelli outside or atleast in the cook tent.

Oh by the way, I fear nothing! I might scream like a little that makes a lot of people laugh when frightened, but I come to and get the job done!

Here are the pix.DSCN0395.jpgDSCN0396.jpg I have ZERO gear to bears by the way, not even cams at the bait station. Only meat lost was this past fall and technically it was the shooters. We kept the rest of em at camp and lost no more. No bear fence either.

Looking back there's only 1 time I could have wished for a camp cam. I knew there were bears around, spotted several sets on the trail. Something came in on night 3 and chewed up the marshmallow sticks. 7 days later on a day ride we cut 11" tracks.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I'm leaving Tueday for Cold Bay and I'm packing my trail camera. You can get some really cool shots of stuff that you would never see otherwise, especially if you are from GA like me. I wouldn't take it on a backpack hunt, but I'm willing to let the SuperCub carry it.

It might make for some interesting family gatherings like: See, here is the bear walking around uncle Toby's tent, there is the bear dragging him out by the leg, there is the bear resting after his meal!
    There are some really nice "small" camera's starting to appear that reduce weight and are not that pricey for sure. I wish I had taken a cpl of the ones that just take a shot every few seconds, or minutes, depending on how you set it up, on my last moose hunt. There are always places you wish you had a set of eyes to watch as you can't be everywhere and some game can definetly be patterned. When one is dropped in unfamiliar turf you look for any advantage you can muster up....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    It might make for some interesting family gatherings like: See, here is the bear walking around uncle Toby's tent, there is the bear dragging him out by the leg, there is the bear resting after his meal! ..
    Kind of makes you wish that old Timmy T. had had one on his last trip, doesn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGlenn View Post
    I'm leaving Tueday for Cold Bay and I'm packing my trail camera. You can get some really cool shots of stuff that you would never see otherwise, especially if you are from GA like me. I wouldn't take it on a backpack hunt, but I'm willing to let the SuperCub carry it.
    Good luck man!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Kind of makes you wish that old Timmy T. had had one on his last trip, doesn't it.
    Yes, yes it does! They did have some video though, just a black screen with background noise, maybe the TV producers edited the picture. You could def hear what was going on and maybe eve some of feasting, been years since I watched the special movie/ documentary.

I have brought mine on moose hunting trips to see what was hitting gut piles after we had packed out all the meat. Was nice as I was able to pattern a brownie and know she had cubs, and on another to pattern wolves hitting the gut pile so I could set up for a chance at them.

Also, it is just plain interesting to see what it out there that you never seem to see during the day.

-TJ

Sounds like a good idea to me, if space and weight don't interfere.
    Of course, we would have wanted to see the pic the trail cam took just as the bear was sniffing your head. Or rather, the one of him being spooked by the flash and running over your tent! LOL
    Do trail cams even flash anymore?
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Do trail cams even flash anymore?
    Mike[/QUOTE]

Most still due, but they have come out with some cool ones that do not....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....