Thread: Plastic bead, glue eggs or yarn eggs

Default Plastic bead, glue eggs or yarn eggs

In your opinion, what is the best all around material for egg patterns? What is the best color combo? What is the best size?

Depends on what you're fishing for and where. I'd have some of each on hand and learn the answers for each place you go. I will say that when it comes to big stuff for kings, you'll only get that done with yarn. In my experience yarn works better in cloudy water, plus early and late in the day when viz is limited. I use a lot of oddball colors, and it's hard to come up with those anywhere but the yarn rack. Tie some 1" chartreuse eggs with flame spots, and drift them in front of a king for example. If you could manage that with beads or glue, it would likely be hard to cast. How about sky blue with a pink spot or steelhead? Look at the range of sizes and colors in a Corkie display for local clues and for an indication of what's possible with yarn. Yet beads and glue work great when they work.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo View Post
    What is the best size?

Exactly 7 mm.

Default none of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo View Post
    In your opinion, what is the best all around material for egg patterns? What is the best color combo? What is the best size?
    The best all-around, effective in most cases, go to, for me is simple - pink crystal chenille - about 8 mm (aka iliamna pinkie).

But orange crystal chenille, glue (pink, red, or orange), large plastic beads (various colors), small beads covered by glue, and single colored yarn - sometimes larger balls (blood red, up to 12 mm) do work better in some situations - usually for grayling in after king salmon runs.

I don't consider pegged beads flies, nor work better (other than snagging fish on the face) than flies, so I don't use them (rarely with an insistent guide). Most fly shops around here (CA) don't even display them (you have to ask).

I'll try some different types. Definitely the chennile eggs feel more like flies than beads but I'll use whatever works best. I like a glue egg where u put a darker bead inside as you make it. Looks like a yolk sac