Thread: Plastic Boot help?

Default Plastic Boot help?

I have been seriously considering buying some plastics for sheep/goat hunting this year. I have been reading a lot on line and forum reviews about several different manufactures models, etc. I have never tried on a pair and am not familiar with them like other folks on the forum.

I have worn Lowa Sheephunters and currently have Scarpa Liskamms. I have two very very bad ankles, one in particular is my trick ankle that likes to roll unexpectedly even on flat ground. I thought the Liskamms would solve my ankle issues but I actually turned my ankle twice last sheep season (luckily I caught it before it rolled over completely) and did roll it good deer hunting. I need more support and believe plastics are my only option.

For those that wear them now and in the past, what brands/models are you wearing and how do you like them? Lowa Civetta Extreme, Koflach Degre, Scarpa Inverno, others?

Medium to wide foot. Possibly going to be a 10 mile normal trek (streams, rocks, tundra, etc.) to base camp, then eventually up.

+1 koflach degres!

I have the same problem and the Koflach boots have saved my ankles many times.

+1 koflach degrees Heat molded to fit with quality foot beds.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Like most things, any of the expensive major brands work well. I personally have a set up Scarpa Inverno's that have served me well for years including a Denali summit. Having said that, I don't use my plastics for mountain hunting. I prefer my La Sportiva Glacier boots. They are much more comfortable in flat country and are stiff enough for the steep, plus they are crampon compatible if needed.

Plastic boots have their pros and cons for hunting purposes. It sounds like due to your ankle problems they may be your best option. They key is getting the right fit. I don't know where you are at in AK, but I recommend AMH in Anchorage. They usually have a knowledgeable staff that can really help you fit boot correctly unlike some of the other larger box stores with a high staff turnover.

My koflachs seem to get more use than juat in mountains. Throw on a pair if glacier socks, and get rid of tge uncomfy hip boots, xtratuffs etc. They are perfect for swampy muskeg, which is usually and another place your ankles hate life

P1040022.jpgWe sound to have the exact same problem with our ankles. Ankle support was my number one concern with my boots. I wear Scarpa Omegas for any hunting that is above tree line or has anything to do with rocks, shale or muskeg. Laced up tight there is no possible way to roll an ankle. Due to the stiffness they put a little more pressure on the petella region of the knee. I would get them again.

Quote Originally Posted by sert511 View Post
    For those that wear them now and in the past, what brands/models are you wearing and how do you like them? Lowa Civetta Extreme, Koflach Degre, Scarpa Inverno, others?

Forget the rest and go with the Scarpa Koflachs. That said you need to do some serious rehab on your foot, ankle, and lower leg strength and your proprioception. It sounds like you have instability/poor proprioception that is a ticking time bomb for mountain hunts. Do much strengthening and balance work.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    +1 koflach degrees Heat molded to fit with quality foot beds.

Steve
    Steve, did you pick your koflachs in Fairbanks? Who carries these?
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Forget the rest and go with the Scarpa Koflachs. That said you need to do some serious rehab on your foot, ankle, and lower leg strength and your proprioception. It sounds like you have instability/poor proprioception that is a ticking time bomb for mountain hunts. Do much strengthening and balance work.

Brett
    Solid advice. I have knee alignment issues and the top advice is building the right muscles. If you have gate or alignment issues it won't matter what booth you wear.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post

Brett
    I definitely have ankle problems and have been putting off surgery on my right due to the amount of time away from work for recovery ,that was 13 yrs ago when I should have gotten it done. Now it will roll but won't swell since there isn't anything to hurt anymore. I work on it all the time.

Everyone, thanks for the insight, I will be in ANC in a couple weeks to try some boots on.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Steve, did you pick your koflachs in Fairbanks? Who carries these?
    Could not find any in Fairbanks bought online.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    My koflachs seem to get more use than juat in mountains. Throw on a pair if glacier socks, and get rid of tge uncomfy hip boots, xtratuffs etc. They are perfect for swampy muskeg, which is usually and another place your ankles hate life
    eaxctly...they are great in the muskeg more should try them there they might be surprised.. I use my plastics for all hunting for years now and never looked back

I have a pair of the orange colored Koflachs that I picked up from Barneys some years ago. They're somewhere in the 9-10 size range can't remember at the moment, I'll look when I get home. They were used on one goat hunt and even though I think they're a great boot, they did not work for me, didn't fit my feet or should I say my feet never formed to fit them. This is even after heat molding the inner boot and taking some day trips prior to the hunt. They left me hurting and my feet numb for about 3 months after the hunt. So before someone takes the plunge and spends good money because they "ARE THE BOOT" I'll give this pair to whoever wants them, first come first serve, to try out and use so you can make up your mind and decide if they are the boot for you. They're in great shape other than some scuff marks they are still new just an older model. You can keep em, chuck em in the garbage, whatever. I live in Soldotna, I'll be home May 15. Shoot me a PM and I'll call you when I get home.
    Cheers
    Rowdy