Thread: Whittier close in?

Default Whittier close in?

I want to get the old Whaler wet next weekend. She is 30 years old with the original 70 horse Johnson on her. For its age the motor is really low hours and has been nothing but reliable. She also has an 8 horse Mariner kicker for a little added security.

She hasn't been run much in the last 5 years, though it has been tuned every spring and winterized every fall in OR. Basically, I want to take a little shake down cruise next weekend weather depending of course.

Is there a reasonable chance of finding rockfish fairly close in? Ultimately, if a couple shake downs go well I would like to fish up in Port Wells and maybe a halibut mission out of Ninilchik.

Seems like I've caught some rockfish in the Pigot Point area before while fishing for silvers. A large shallow area comes from shore about half way between Pigot Point and Pigot Bay. Fish near the bottom.

I haven't fished portage canal terribly hard because the few times I have I've been skunked.

That said I have taken rock fish in both the North and South ends of Culross passage. Not huge fish and not hot fishing, but fish none the less. I also did manage to catch a ping pong paddle sized halibut in 450' of water in the N end of Culross. Every once in awhile it's worth dropping a jig down deep to see if there is anything down there, but I generally don't make a habit of fishing that deep, especially for fish that small.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Getting better ~ more folks I spoke with caught a fish or two last weekend [not us though ~ not even a bite]. I have fished ~ 6 hours over the past few weeks at various locations/depths both bait/bigger jigs deeper and smaller jigs in the rocks/ledges. May just be me not knowing how to target them early. We wanted to get some carcasses [as opposed to buying herring] to put in the shrimp pots. Also just ate the last of our rockfish & yelloweye. Only a couple packs of cod and halibut remain in our freezer as far as whitefish goes...
    Water temprature was 39 during the shrimp opener April 15th.
    This past weekend we initially saw 45 degrees but the sun went away for a couple days and had dropped to 43.

What are the chances of finding some cod or Pollack as well? I am taking a guy that just moved up and I hope to get him into some kind of fish. I want to keep him as a fishing partner. (He is willing to help pay for gas !)

I know two areas where there are a mess of pacific cod - but both are in the range of 1,000-1,400'. I've caught a handful on a rod and reel in the Sound, but nothing predictable or consistent.

I've witnessed one very large halibut caught very close to the ferry dock. Just keep a look out for when the ferry is arriving and departing.