Thread: lightweight tent for weakling :)

Default lightweight tent for weakling :)

Hello all!

I am shopping for a tent that will carry me through until October here in AK. I've lived here a little over a year now, and after last winter I'm wanting to get in as much outdoor time as I can. I've been on one backpacking trip to Upper Reed Lake, and that was the only time I've gone. I fell in love with it, just like I have with AK. Thing is, 40lbs on my 125 lb body going over a boulder field was next to HELL. I can't do that again. I need a pack to be 30lbs or less. That said, can anyone recommend a tent that will hold up against wind and condensation? $500 or less is what I'm looking for. Any help is greatly appreciated.--angel

I would look into the Big Agnes brand of tents. They have quite a few ultra-light tents that are under 3lbs and are rated for 3 season use. I would also do a search for sheep hunting gear as many of them have light weight and have to put up with some harsh conditions. Many of them seem to love the Hillberg brand of tents, but then you would be over budget and the weight is closer to 5 lbs.

Many of us just bought tents from "Golite". And their 50% off sale is still going on. I bought a "Shangri-La 3" that weighs in at 4.6 pounds. Regular price $400. on sale for $199.99.

On the tent, if none of the choices previously offered suit you, I strongly urge you to check out the Sierra Designs Lightning. I have an 07 model (they discontinued it after that, then brought it back last year) that weighs right at 4 lbs even all in. (That's everything: body, fly, footprint, poles, AND stakes-MSR Ground Hogs) It sleeps two comfortably with very little room for gear. (I can get my shotgun in there with me and my son or my girlfriend.) I researched for months; it's a hard tent to beat. Skip the non-free standing tens altogether; the ground here is so hard, you'd have to carry a hammer to be assured of getting stakes in the ground. (Been there, doe that.)

On a 30 pound pack: good luck working that magic. It's hard to get a field pack under 30 lbs. Best thing you can do is have a buddy to help carry the gear (split the tent up into pieces and share the load, food too.) After that, start with an ultra light pack (my field pack-full size Gregory weighs 5 lbs EMPTY-there are small UL packs at REI that weigh right at 2 lbs) and a down sleeping bag rated at about 40 degrees. (The better rated bags are heavy and bulky. The down compresses better than holofil, and you'll NEED the space savings in an ultra light pack.) Ditch the water filter and carry the chlorine tables from Katadyn. Go with the Jetboil stove and only cary dehydrated food. Only one set of clothes. No gun. You MIGHT get close to 30 pounds. Good luck. My pack has NEVER been less than 40 no mater how hard I tried. (I even weighed every single item I have in the pack and trimmed from there.-still over 40.) One of my Eagle Scouts go close to it once; his pack was 32 lbs on the Appalachian Trail. I asked him how he did it, and he told me he just didn't bring anything.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    One of my Eagle Scouts go close to it once; his pack was 32 lbs on the Appalachian Trail. I asked him how he did it, and he told me he just didn't bring anything.
    Reminds me of a time I was sheep hunting. We were bushwacking up the mountain when I see these guys coming up on us. As they neared I saw they were a few native kids. When they stopped to say hi and head on there way, we noticed that all they had on their backs were bed rolls and a few small sacks. It would seem that all they needed was something to sleep on/in and they pretty much ate what they could from the land. They flew by us like we were standing still. We were both pretty amazed......

Check out tarptent.com hard to beat for weight. I can keep mine in the 30-35 range for up to a week.

Quote Originally Posted by kubs View Post
    Check out tarptent.
    Yeah, and those do an AWESOME job of keeping you from being devoured by mosquitoes. Not.

Oldtown, doesn't sound like this person is going hunting. I agree a 30lb sheep pack would be impossible. I hear of people getting down to 45, but I dunno how. I'm pretty minimalist and I'm at 55 with water and salt for 7 days...

Mountain Hardwear Skyledge 2.1 is my pick for a LW 3 season. Goes up in a jiffy and only weighs 3lb 7oz packed on my digiscale. Other options include MSR carbon reflex, big agnes (forget models) and MSR hubba hubba.

PGK, I wasn't thinking the OP was looking for a hunting set up. I suppose I used to the term "field pack" somewhat ambiguously. (That's a term I apple to anything other than a day pack.) IN this case, when I said "field pack" I meant my internal frame 65L Gregory Boltoro that I use for backpacking. When I wrote "no gun," I was thinking more along the lines of a gun for bear protection. Sorry for the confusion. Oh, and when I said "no gun"

BTW: at 3lbs 7 oz, that's pretty awesome. How is it for keeping you dry and bug-free?