Thread: Bow hunter course

Default Bow hunter course

Whats involved in the archery shoot test ? how far are the shots ? Just trying to practice up for next weeks class.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

The IBEP course is easy, not hard at all, its long and drawn out but just bear with them, i went through it at Eielson AFB, and the outdoor shoot is easy too, if its set up like Eielson you'll have shots varying from 15 to maybe 35 yards, they had some down hill shots too, so yeah I would practice, I wouldn't worry too much...good class! ...K

Default Some shots

Some shots are knelling so practice a little there. It does throw some people. It is not difficult for the seasoned archer.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thanks ,
    My friend just bought the new Mathewes switchback $900 !!!! It's nice and small and with my bad shoulder it easy to shoot, I'm using it for the test and then when I find $900 bucks I'll buy one
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

dont take this the wrong way, but if you are worried about judging distance and what the yardage is at the test shoot, you are not ready to take the test or to hunt with a bow.

practice, practice, practice

any one can fling arrows and get lucky.

i honestly think that the test is way to easy and should have more shots to be taken then what it currently has.

but with practice you will do fine, my 13 year old took the shooting test with me present to watch him last year, he got a 100% on the shoot. and thats just because i practice with him and work on judging distance with him, that is the most important part of bow hunting

Default Range Finder

The test is designed to be simulated hunting conditions. A hunter may use a range finder if need be.

The closest shot is 11 yard and the furthest is 28 yards. And two shot down hill at a bear.

4 targets you shoot two arrows at each target. One standing and one kneeling
    One target must have two arrows in the kill area. and the rest of the target you must have atleast one.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default bow certification

I recently found out, which I had no idea that you can hunt with a bow in Alaska during General seasons without a bow certification. I guess you only need the certification for a labeled BOW SEASON or a Restricted Archery Only area or draw hunt or to hunt black bear over bait. I had no Idea about this. I already have the cert, but my brother is taking it in a couple weeks and he mentioned that to me, I called bull$^Z* on it until I called fish and game. I feel everyone should have the certification to hunt with a bow regardless of the season.

Just what I think

Just got done takin this course. I am new to archery and probably practiced about 8 to 10 hours before my test and passed with a 100% score. Alaska Grey described the conditions perfectly.

So In short the test is pretty easy with a little practice. And I feel that it simulated all the shots that I would take in the field at game.

I dont think that it is so easy that it is impractical though.

And I gotta agree with crossfox on the certification required for all bowhunters regardless of special seasons. I saw alot of arrows in rumps and guts.

If those people arent even gonna practice for a test they for sure wont when hunting season comes around.

typically 33% OR MORE FAIL THE SHOOTING THE FIRST TIME THRU SO IT IS NOT EASY. GARY STATED IT VERY WELL BUT IT CAN BE 10-30 YARDS. oops Downhill shooting tends to zap a bunch of folks. helps if you bend at waist and keep angle of bow arm and body the same as when you shot on level ground.
    kneeling can be on one or both knees....both is more stable......turn and align body like you normally shoot. people tend to face more foreward. if on one knee put knee closest to target down and again align body as if standing. have seen prople hit leg....regularly
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

When shooting downhill it's a good idea to draw level, and then bring your bow down to the target. I failed my first time through. Sounds incredibly stupid, but I brought a range finder with me that I had never used before. Well needless to say the yards on my range finder aren't the same ones I step out in my yard. I passed 100% the second time.

-Eric

Default guns

when do the rifle hunters have to take a proficiency test?

its slowly coming to that up here I think, in some units there is Basic hunter ed required if you were born after 86, and a couple of areas, like the base where you need it regardless of your age.

When I took the practical test, the group in front of me had a 75% failure rate. The group of four that I was in had a 50% failure rate (thankfully I was in the other 50% and scored 100%). I practiced at least every other day for a couple months and, frankly, the practical test was easy. While I had quit shooting over 20 yards many years ago, my two months of practice out to 30 made the test easy. The interaction between the instructors was interesting. One of the instructors was someone who could have talked all day about bowhunting. One of the other instructors was all business and made sure the whole affair moved along. Thanks go out to the volunteer instructors.

Default To AK Nimrod

I have an advanced hunter ed course for bowhunting from my home state of Minnesota. Do you happen to know offhand if this qualifies me for bowhunting in Alaska? I have bowhunted here for a long time as well as elk out in the western states. I only ask because I was invited up there to hunt caribou. If you don't happen to know then I'll go to the Fish and Game Dept. Thank you for your time.

If you are hunting in a bow only area such as the Dalton Hwy corridor or in restricted weapons areas such as Palmer Wasilla or Fairbanks area, you need to have certifications regardless if it's a general season hunt.

If you're coming up from the outside, then IBPE certification from any state will do.

I practiced for several months before taking the test. I had hunted in Wisconsin from treestands but never from the kneeling position. I found the test to be easy because I put forth the same effort into passing the test that I would for preparing for hunting season.

My wife took the test and only missed two arrows but they were both on the same target so she failed. She shot 100% the second time. She spent about two months getting ready for the test and had never shot a bow before in her life.

Default Course schedules

Where do you go to find out when and where the course is being offered?

I took the course in 2000 in Fairbanks, wish I had known there were going to be shots longer than 30yards. I shoot a recurve, and will not shoot beyond 25 yards, the shot we had on the elk target was 35 yards. While I know that the test has to fit everyone, and several of the guys I hunted with used compounds, and would fling arrows at 50+ yards without hesitation, I use a range finder and limit myself to 25. You need to practice, especially if you shoot barebow.

Dave