Thread: Children hunting, license/tickets?

Default Children hunting, license/tickets?

Need some help if anyone can clarify something for me please.
    I will be taking my 15yr old son out hunting with me this year and allowing him to shoot animals for the first time.

I understand he won't need his own license until next year. What isn't clear is the harvest ticket. I am reading that since he is 10 or older he gets his own harvest ticket (lets say for moose)? Do you just go to a vendor and request a harvest ticket for desired species and explain it is for a young man? I'm used to them wanting to see my license for my tickets, and recording ticket number on license. I'm just a little confused on how it works for someone who doesn't have a license. I do have the regulations in front of me right now I'm still just a little unclear on the process.

I'm old enough that I won't need to sign him up for Hunter Ed while I'm with him, that will probably happen after this year is he continues to show interest.

Thanks
    Last edited by Ryan J; 05-02-2012 at 12:40. Reason: spelling

Yes, he can get tags / harvest ticket for himself without a license. If he'll be hunting byhimself in units 7, 13, 14, 15, and 20 he must have hunter ed. Take him into a vender and it should be no problem getting his harvest ticket.

Taking hunter ed is a good thing to do with your son. I took both my daughters and joined them even though I had previously taken it. They were not going to be hunting by themselves for awhile. btw you also need HE tp along with the weapon certification if you ever draw a tag on JBER. ibohnt is correct, I just took my daughter to a vendor and he issued her tags without a license.

Got it, awesome.

He will still be under my watchful eyes for a while longer. I've gotten him where I'm confortable with his weapons proficiency, quite good with the rifle actually. He helped us butcher the moose last fall, and has enjoyed eating plenty of it as well. We continue to work on outdoor survival skill and appreciation. So now I'm ready to take him full circle.

Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by ibohnt View Post
    Yes, he can get tags / harvest ticket for himself without a license. If he'll be hunting byhimself in units 7, 13, 14, 15, and 20 he must have hunter ed. Take him into a vender and it should be no problem getting his harvest ticket.
    He needs to have hunter ed in these units to get a harvest ticket period, regardless if he's hunting by himself or not. If he doesn't have hunter ed yet he will have to hunt on a parent's harvest ticket.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Doug, you are a wealth of great and valuable information but in this case I respectfully disagree.

Page 13 of this year's regulation book states "Requirments for young hunters before hunting in Units 7, 13, 14, 15 and 20: If you are under 16 years of age, you must have either successfully completed a Basic Hunter Education course OR be under the direct immediate supervision of a licensed hunter who..." Leads me to believe he can get tags. However, there are areas in GMU 14 where, regardless of age, you must have hunter education.
    5 AAC 92.003(a)(2) not required to have a hunting license and who has not successfully completed a certified hunter education course, must, in order to hunt in Units 7, 13, 14, 15 and 20 be under the direct immediate supervision of a licensed hunter...."
    Plus a hunter over 10 cannot use his/her parents tags but must have one of their own.
    When you get (or purchase) a tag, you are not obtaining a tag for a specific GMU but they are good across the state. Enforcing this would be impossible until you were in the field. But HE is not a requirement in this specific instance.

You know Bill, you might be totally correct. It's been so long since my kids had to go through this that I may have been mixed up in my memory. Like all game law questions the final answer is simply to call the Fish and Wildlife Troopers.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Like all game law questions the final answer is simply to call the Fish and Wildlife Troopers.
    Yeah right if it was only that easy! I think you would have better luck calling the judge that will be presiding over your case and ask him or her what their take on the regulations are.

I could probly give Mr. T. Nugent a call. I reckon he would know.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Yeah right if it was only that easy! I think you would have better luck calling the judge that will be presiding over your case and ask him or her what their take on the regulations are.
    I guess I'm just lucky to have a responsive F&W trooper and his cell phone number

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I guess I'm just lucky to have a responsive F&W trooper and his cell phone number
    I didn't mean that you would not get an answer just saying it seems like every brown shirt and every fish and game employee anyone talks to about any given subject seems to have a different opinion on what right and wrong are. I just as soon take my chances and deal with the judges decision on things then waste my time calling or going in to talk to people that won't give me a straight answer and be held responsible for it.