Thread: Taxidermist for black bear rug in Petersburg

Default Taxidermist for black bear rug in Petersburg

Looking for some guidance on a taxidermist in Petersburg I can use for a black bear rug. Only one I found online was http://www.alpinewaterstaxidermy.com/default.html. Anybody have experince with them? Or know of another in the area.
    The other option is to bring the skin frozen back to california to get it done through somebody locally I have some reference for.

Thanks for your help!

Sam is probably the only taxi in Petersburg. He's relatively new to the practice. I haven't had anything done by him, so I can only judge from the pics on his website. I'd give him a call just see what he says. He's a pretty darn nice guy, I've been good friends with him since high school though so I could be biased.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I live in Petersburg in the summers and I plan on using him if I get a black bear this summer. My uncles got a wall mount of a King Salmon that I'm pretty sure Sam did and it looks fantastic. I know thats a whole different thing besides a bear but it's great quality work

I had Sam headmount a deer for me this fall. Great work. I hadn't planned on having it mounted so I didn't do a very good job skinning, plus I shot it through the neck with a 308, he made all my mistakes go away and the mount looks great.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

Thank you very much for the feedback. I will talk to him.
    Also good to hear from you guys in Petersburg. Can I get some advise from you on what else to do there. etc. I will have a day or so at the end of the trip to explore. Will PM you.
    Thanks again!

There is nothing in Petersburg come to Wrangell
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

What dates are you there?

Go to TROPHY CARE tab on this forum.

Will do Wrangell next trip!

Protaxidermy, will do that. I did a search through the thread for petersburg but did not find anything.

SE2COLD, I am arriving May 12th and leaving May 19th. I was trying to PM you earlier to get your tel number but looks like the PM is not enabled in your profile. Can you PM me instead?

Ten post for P.M.'s
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

theres a little festival downtown in petersburg on may 18-20th with all sorts of food and booths and activities and such. It celebrates norwegian independence day since Petersburg was settled and populated by mostly norwegians. You'll be able to have a good time there to end the trip.

Thanks. read about that. Should be good. any good fishing spots nearby? Also would like to check scope alignment once I get there. Heard there is a range couple of miles from town.

range is 13 miles out the road (theres only one road out of town) just past a place called papkes landing. so if you have a rental car you'll be able to get there. For fishing around town theres a place called eagles roost park that is up on top of the hill just of downtown (main street runs up to it) you can take a staircase down to the water from there and theres usually pretty good dolly fishing on some of the little rocky fingers extending from shore. You should be warned though, middle of the day during mayfest that beach will be crowded with little kids so you might want to do that at night or in the morning. it's best there right after the tide switches usually. But if you have a rental car there are a whole lot of other options i could fill you in on too that are further from town