Thread: NGC Shrimp

Default NGC Shrimp

Haven't heard any reports from the newly expanded shrimping area. Has anyone been prospecting the area and if so, how'd you fare?

I think in ADF&G announced that the new regs won't take effect until June or July now. Can't remember for sure.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Default Per ADFG Website ~ Sometime Early July

The entire North Gulf Coast area will not be open to shrimp fishing, as passed by the Board of Fisheries in March, until sometime in early July.

Unless I missed something, it is currently open (as of April 15th) and the boundary was extended to include Resurrection Bay. Here is a thread that has the boundary map in it, and I have not seen anything that delayed the opening from April 15th which was published in the regs.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...rimping-permit
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

NGC Shrimp did open April 15th per newsletter dated April 6, 2012 as previously posted by coho slayer @ http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...rimping-permit
    Emergency Order to be posted shortly.
    Sorry for any confusion ~ now get out there...

I plan on heading out of Seward on Saturday. My mom is up from IL and I hope to see some whales and such. I'm bringing along a couple of pots to soak. Hoping to get a few but not real optimistic.

I spoke with the lady in Homer yesterday who enters the harvest data and she said they're mostly side-stripes. Last year's NGC take was only 300# total but with the expanded area who knows? Good luck and let us know how you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman 101 View Post
    I plan on heading out of Seward on Saturday. My mom is up from IL and I hope to see some whales and such. I'm bringing along a couple of pots to soak. Hoping to get a few but not real optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    I spoke with the lady in Homer yesterday who enters the harvest data and she said they're mostly side-stripes. Last year's NGC take was only 300# total but with the expanded area who knows? Good luck and let us know how you do.
    I like sidestripes just fine and pinks too but the pot mesh size is the same as PWS which was changed years back to allow the juvenile spots to escape. Guess what else gets out.

I wondered about this fact myself when I heard NGC was mostly side-stripes because I did see a few smaller coons in PWS swimming back down as pots neared the surface. I haven't seen any side-stripes in our pots over in PWS.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    I like sidestripes just fine and pinks too but the pot mesh size is the same as PWS which was changed years back to allow the juvenile spots to escape. Guess what else gets out.

Got back from Seward last night. Seas were pertty rough so we stayed within Res Bay. Dropped two pots at 450ft near Caines Head in steep and deep water close to a small waterfall. Soaked them for about 5 hours while I took my family out looking at whales. I returned to my pots, pulled them up and for the first time I was totally skunked. Not a thing in the pots.

Next time I go out I'll try a different spot and maybe play around with the depth a little too. Anyone else shrimp out of there yet?