Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heading out of Whittier this weekend (May 5-6)?

Default Anyone heading out of Whittier this weekend (May 5-6)?

I'm keeping an eye on the marine forecast. Right now for PWS, it shows anywhere from 4-6' seas. For Passage Canal, 2'. Interesting new format for NOAA where you can click on a specific point and get the marine forecast for that specific location. So if it calls for 6' seas in PWS in the generic Marine Zone Forecast, which could be anywhere in PWS, you can click anywhere in that zone and it'll give you what's forecast for right there which sometimes looks lots better than the overall zone forecast. Given how accurate (or inaccurate) marine forecasts can be, I wonder how accurate this new feature is.
    Of course it's supposed to rain and/or snow this weekend. Will be happy just to be back on the water. If you see a 24-ft. Bayliner with an Achilles inflatable on top, give me a shout. Scott Free.
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=PKZ125

Heading out to drop some pots this weekend as well. We'll see how accurate the new site is in realtime, won't we? LOL! Very cool concept, tho. I'll be on a 28' Osprey "NIDA"...

We have been planning on going for friday night through monday afternoon. Son just got a job offer for some seismic drilling so he might be leaving monday - and the weather looks kind of crappy.

Seas are borderline at this point for me - if it lays down we might still go.

If you see a heavily loaded zodiac give us a wave.

Will be there on Sunday for a shakedown trip around Passage....will be dropping pots and checking out some glaciers....
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Well - boy's job fell through - so we will be heading out if the waves don't get any worse. Might be a lot of tipi time this weekend........rain and snow......still fun out there though.

We leave friday morning first tunnel...We have a 18 ft sea skiff, and a 22 foot Norsco Rental, we will be out there if you need a beer. Last weekend the NOAA forcast was way way way off, so dont be suprised when it says six foot and all you get is glass. I really hope the fix the Passage Cannal Bouy this year, it would be really nice to get some real time wave height out there. Good luck everyone its good to be out on the water again, even if they are calling for Snow/Rain. Many of shrimp and rockfish to eat.......

I am planning on hitting the water Friday evening or Saturday Am if the weather allows. Will stay till Sunday or maybe Monday, depends how cold it gets. If you see a blue and white kingfisher call and say hello.. Boat name is Stor Fisk.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Same basic forecast on both Marine and WX Underground as we had for both the shrimp opener and last weekend.
    Snow has been at higher elevetions...

JR, good luck to you [and others'] your advice paid off and we got into some decent hauls of shrimp.
    We will stay home for a couple weeks now and leave some shrimp for you guys.
    Next launch for us is in 17 days for black bear, fishing, shrimping, clamming and just enjoying the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I am planning on hitting the water Friday evening or Saturday Am if the weather allows. Will stay till Sunday or maybe Monday, depends how cold it gets. If you see a blue and white kingfisher call and say hello.. Boat name is Stor Fisk.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2

If it stays flat we will be out friday night coming back on Monday afternoon. We'll be in a zodiac - camping within 20 miles of port - in a 12 man Kifaru Tipi.

I'm headed out tonight after my son wrestles, worst case, fri morning, returning Sunday LATE.. I'll be in a 22' hewes sea runner.. Chiquita yellow just or luck . Looking to do some shrimping, toss out a couple game cams, glass the hill sides.

Call names Jagrmeister.

Hoytguy

Forecast is getting better.. 4 footers Saturday night, I can live with that. Going to try for Friday evening launch, drop the pots and find a hole to sleep in for the night. Saturday will be checking the pots in Blackstone in the AM and then if weather allows a run South in Culross. Hope to see some others out having fun. Here is to full shrimp pots and calm seas.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

It was wet.. I think I've been drier at a water park. Caught lots of shrimp., Few rock fish, flounder. And got wet..

It rained from the time we launched fri night.. Until we left sun.. Still raining.

Don't forget the snow, snowed on us Friday night, part of Saturday and all night. I rowed the tender through 2 inches of slush to take the dog to shore... When it was not snowing it was raining hard. Still had fun, got about 10 gallons of shrimp and did not need a bath.

Oh got checked by the troopers in Whittier, counted pots and looked at the shrimp permit.

Don't forget the snow, snowed on us Friday night, part of Saturday and all night. I rowed the tender through 2 inches of slush to take the dog to shore... When it was not snowing it was raining hard. Still had fun, got about 10 gallons of shrimp and did not need a bath.

Oh got checked by the troopers in Whittier, counted pots and looked at the shrimp permit.
    That wasn't you anchored in 3 Fingers Cove Friday night was it?

Yep it was wet out there for sure...didn`t get the snow on the east side. Only a couple gallons of whole shrimp considering we fished my 4 pots on 5 drops. Oh well...maybe next time. No halibut anywhere around Naked or Lone...that was a bigger bummer cause we had some rough seas out there.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Skydivers, that was me. Friday and Saturday nights, white and blue kingfisher. Which boat were you? There were 9 boats in there last night.

Middle finger. Sailboat, big boat, and my 24-foot Bayliner. I motored past you around 8 AM Saturday. Surprised to see so many boats there.

I think I counted 9 boats when I left Sunday AM.. packed house for sure but there was still some room. If the weather had been better I was going to row my tender around and do some exploring and visiting, but with the snow and rain I just sat in the cabin and goofed around with my family.

I think I counted 9 boats when I left Sunday AM.. packed house for sure but there was still some room. If the weather had been better I was going to row my tender around and do some exploring and visiting, but with the snow and rain I just sat in the cabin and goofed around with my family.
    Thank for the info you sent, Pm you back back to say thanks but your inbox is full
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

JR2 - you were burning some fuel in that King fisher. I headed back for fuel and firewood on saturday - couldn't get my dinghy on step until I got into blackstone after rounding the point past surprise - just too much for my boat....o I could do it, but there would be nothing left of the boat or me.

We ended with 9 gals of whole. I had a couple zero's which were dissapointing and I had one pot that had over 100 in it on a 7 hour drop. We plopped that drop down in 4 footers saturday night - my gps quit working, I had a fuel leak and could smell gas, we were taking some water over the small transom - said F it and let em drop to get back into the tipi and wood stove. That was at 11pm and it was getting dark. When that first pot came up I told my son that maybe it was worth re-setting it the night before..........thinking back on it - 100 shrimp aren't worth That much.

Not much fun had by my crew - I am going to have to get a bigger covered boat for sure...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast