Thread: Whats a ballpark price range for getting a new barrel?

Default Whats a ballpark price range for getting a new barrel?

Hi all, I'm looking into the option of having a barrel made in 35 Whelen for a Sako Hunter. But before I go down to the gunsmith, just how much does somebody pay for a new barrel for their gun? Ive never heard how much the cost is, so was wondering if just buying a new gun is a better option than getting a barrel made up. thanks for all the input. you guy's are a great help. Dave
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Dave, I just had a mauser rebarreled to 35 whelan and It cost me about $225 (labor and bbl). The barrel was a shilen.

Thankyou Blink! Thats a big help, now I have some wheels turning........

Default Wow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    Dave, I just had a mauser rebarreled to 35 whelan and It cost me about $225 (labor and bbl). The barrel was a shilen.
    I would like to know where you got that done for that price so I can send them a rifle to get a new barrel. I just sent a rifle to PAC-NOR for a new barrel, 30.06 SS FWT contour installed on my M70 action and it was $460, barrel, fitting and chambering, action trueing, and finishing included.

I have a .338-06 that wears a Krieger barrel, and a .280 Ackley Improved that sports a Hart barrel. I've gone through the rebarreling process twice, and both times the labor cost me about $150. Both guns shoot lights-out.

There are a few aftermarket barrels that can be had fairly inexpensively. Douglas barrels are supposed to be decent, and their prices aren't outrageous. I've heard good things about Pac-Nor as well, and they are less expensive than some of the others. Some other barrels often recognized as "premium" barrels, but they also come with a premium price and longer wait from the manufacturer. They include Kreiger, Hart, Lilja, Shilen, Bartlien, and others. Brownells carries a fair selection of barrels on hand, so the wait time will be shorter. Their prices are about the same as the manufacturer.

Stan Jackson is a talented machinist/gunsmith in Anchorage. He rebarreled a Rem 700 for me last November. If you talk to him about barrels, he might have one on the shelf in the caliber you're looking for. This might save you some money. Otherwise he can order one for you. I will dig up his number, if you're interested in traveling to Anchorage.

I use Stan as well and his work is usually top shelf.
    Plan on spending about $150 for the labor depending if you want the action "trued" or not and a trigger job while it is there.
    Barrels vary widely with a huge difference in quality. I have used some ER Shaw barrels with good success and seen some that didnt work out well.
    You generally get what you pay for and some of the better names out there for nice hunting rifles include Krieger, Shilen, Hart, Pac Nor just to name a few. McGowen also makes a good barrel.
    Check Midway for barrels. They often have them in stock and sometimes on clearance sale. Last couple of Kriegers I purchased were in stock at Midway and cheaper than buying from Krieger directly.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Last couple of Kriegers I purchased were in stock at Midway and cheaper than buying from Krieger directly.
    Thanks! This is good to know. Krieger is my first choice, but their 16-week wait is a bit disheartening.

Default new barrel

Many ways to go. Probably the first step is to get ahold of a gunsmith. Then gain confidence in that gunsmith. Then, ask about barrels. Some have "favorites" or in some cases can get "deals" from manufacturers at a discount to them then make a little $ when putting them on a gun. A really good barrel reamed wrong and threaded and screwed in wrong negates the advantages of a top of the line barrel. The installation cost of under $200 seems really reasonable. Barrels can be any where from $50 to about $350. Always keep in mind the old axiom- "generally get what you pay for". Good $50-$60 barrels can be had new. But, they generally are take-offs from gunsmiths doing custom jobs where a customer buys a new gun then has a custom gun built with high-end barrel. These are where you find them- even eBay is a source for them. As always buyer beware. But good new ones are out there. The only downside to these is that the stamping may be for the wrong cartridge and if they are drilled and tapped for sights the alignment may end up sideways as it all depends upon the final fit to receiver ring and headspacing, etc. There may be a lot of extra labor to the gunsmith in getting the sight holes to line up top dead center. Then there is middle ground like Pac Nor or mid-level barrels from companies like Douglas. With the barrels running under $200. Then there are the high-end barrels like Shilen Select, Krieger, Broughton, etc running about $300- $350. Final note- before buying a barrel be sure to study the twist rate data as it compares to both intended bullet weight/length and velocity. There are quite a few slow twist 35 cal barrels out there that may not be the best for the 35 Whelen shooting 250 gr. bullets. I think something in the 1:12 to 1:14" twist range will work. Good luck.... the 35 Wh is a good cartridge.

Thanks again for all the helpful tips and suggestions.

Default Hart

Dan,

What did you think of the work done by hart? Was it a rebarrel and action true job. Do you know if they do blueing also? How much did the package run?

I grew up about a 1/2 hour from there shop, but wasnt the gun nut then I am now.

Thanks.