Thread: Land or area for hydro power?

Default Land or area for hydro power?

Looking for suggestions of areas or water systems that you know would support a off grid hydro power? Something that has the flow rate and drop with temps that would allow a hydro system. Any help or thought on the matter would be appreciated.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Kodiak archipelago and southeast.

Any "big step to cross" size stream with 300-500 feet of head for pressure should be enough to spin a Pelton wheel to power one small house. That was the system we had growing up, and it worked for us. Bury an insulated line and it should keep it from freezing. Add solar and a backup generator and you could be set for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticmayhem View Post
    Any "big step to cross" size stream with 300-500 feet of head for pressure should be enough to spin a Pelton wheel to power one small house. That was the system we had growing up, and it worked for us. Bury an insulated line and it should keep it from freezing. Add solar and a backup generator and you could be set for life.
    How do you determine head pressure? I thought that rivers and streams were measured by CMF (not sure if I have those initials right, flow of cubic meters) can anyone tell me how you can determine if a body of water is fast enough and deep enough to allow collection point not to freeze? I'm sure that this may be simple but I want to find some land in alaska that would allow the hydro year round.

Does anyone know of any companies that are installing them in alaska?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Here is a link with some pictures to show what I am talking about:
    http://www.rockyhydro.com/Micro-Hydro_Basics.php

Basically, what we had was a sluice with a screen in the bottom. This ran over the top of an insulated tank. The outlet pipe came out of the bottom of that and went down the hill to the house. I don't remember what the elevation drop was, but it was enough to give the house standard water pressure. The pipe came to a nozzle and spun a pelton wheel attached to a truck alternator. This charged a battery bank and then was turned into 110 ac before going to the house.

With the collection point, as long as the water keeps moving, it won't freeze. Insulation on the pipe and burying it in the ground should keep it from freezing. Our pipeline only froze every 3-5 years or so, and it was only buried about 18" with 2" foam blocks over it. There are much better ways to do it but that is what my dad had to work with at the time. Our winters got down to -20 regularly and were below freezing most of the winter.

Default Hydro

Arctic, Thanks for the information. I didn't ask the question but as is the case with many many areas on the forum I get great information by just paying attention and reading the exchanges of questions and answers.

Tight lines,
    Bawanna

If just keeping 12 volt charged you can find an old car generator and mount a squirrel cage fan to it.A few well placed rocks will increase flow through the fan.Don't over charge.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you