Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: shipping rifles to AK

  1. #1

    Default shipping rifles to AK

    Anyone have a recommendation on who to use as the Anchorage end on shipping rifles up from ID. I have to get a few shiped up, I have a gun shop their I can use, they charge $25.00 on there end. Thanks

  2. #2
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Go here and check the list out yourself. If you are coming up you can ship mail long guns from yourself to yourself (handguns can’t be mailed but can go FedEx or UPS) to a friend’s address or a UPS store or maybe for counter pickup at a post office.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Not sure if you are making purchases, or just moving up some of your irons from down below.

    If you are buying thats one thing, if you are moving them up skip the gun shop. No need for the FFL
    A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

    http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b9



  4. #4
    Member SANDRAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kenai,AK
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Go here and check the list out yourself. If you are coming up you can ship mail long guns from yourself to yourself (handguns can’t be mailed but can go FedEx or UPS) to a friend’s address or a UPS store or maybe for counter pickup at a post office.
    I've had better luck at the USPS believe it or not.The post office is usually cheaper too.Some UPS stores will not ship any firearm,but,tell you to go to the hub location instead.For a handgun,they may require "Next Day Air" as one agent told me,"we want it out of our system as soon as possible in order to reduce pilferage".
    Last edited by SANDRAT; 05-02-2012 at 00:30. Reason: typo

  5. #5
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SANDRAT View Post
    I've had better luck at the USPS believe it or not.The post office is usually cheaper too.Some UPS stores will not ship any firearm,but,tell you to go to the hub location instead.For a handgun,they may require "Next Day Air" as one agent told me,"we want it out of our system as soon as possible in order to reduce pilferage".
    Yup USPS is a great way to ship most anything to/from Alaska but unless you have an FFL and are mailing it to an FFL it is a felony to mail a handgun with USPS, it could net you jail time.


    As for UPS Store and handguns I disassemble and cal it “gun parts” which meets the duty to declare it and they don’t bat an eye at the counter.

    “Can I help you?“
    Need to ship these gun parts.
    “No problem sir . . .”
    Yes the receiver frame is still a gun under the law but it’s legal to ship so long as you declare it and adding the word “parts” gets you past UPS company policy. It even worked for me in a Sacramento Commifornia UPS Store.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  6. #6
    Member thewhop2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,366

    Default

    I used to take the firing pins out of my long guns and ship as gun parts. Firing pins went into my suitcase.... Viola.... Done. No questions asked.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

  7. #7
    Member SANDRAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kenai,AK
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Yup USPS is a great way to ship most anything to/from Alaska but unless you have an FFL and are mailing it to an FFL it is a felony to mail a handgun with USPS, it could net you jail time.


    As for UPS Store and handguns I disassemble and cal it “gun parts” which meets the duty to declare it and they don’t bat an eye at the counter.

    “Can I help you?“
    Need to ship these gun parts.
    “No problem sir . . .”
    Yes the receiver frame is still a gun under the law but it’s legal to ship so long as you declare it and adding the word “parts” gets you past UPS company policy. It even worked for me in a Sacramento Commifornia UPS Store.
    I should have used paragraphs to separate the USPS and UPS.After reading my post,I can see where it was confusing regarding the shipping of handguns via UPS and Not the USPS.My bad......

    As far as calling something "Gun Parts",as long as the receiver with the SN is included,That IS the gun as far as the law is concerned.I can buy every part for an AR15 over the counter except the receiver.As soon as I purchase that stripped receiver the form 4473 must be filled out as though it is a complete gun.If it is lost or stolen,you will have a helluva time getting reimbursed for your "Gun Parts" as a complete rifle,hand gun,etc.

    Legal interstate shipment of guns you own already is pretty simple.Once in awhile you need to put the regs in front of some clerk.I had a problem with UPS shipping a revolver to S&W for warranty work.Long story short,I called S&W and they told me to go back there in an hour after they made a call or two.Not only did they ship it,they offered to hold it in the safe for me when it came back from the factory.

  8. #8
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Yes as I said the frame/receiver is legaly the gun but it is legal to ship it self to self with UPS. The hitch is UPS and FedEx company policy (self to self S&W won't be pulling strings for you) but calling it gun parts gets past their policy without braking any laws. If they were to loose it, hey a receiver IS a "gun part" as well as legally "the gun" and I have no problem being reimbursed for it part by part.

    Little story: When my house burnt down I listed a Snap-On tool kit that approximated the tools that were ruined for my insurance. The adjustor lady had a fit at the $14,000 price tag and said I had to itemize tool by tool. I spent two days covered in soot bad mouthing her doing just what she said and I received a check for just under $55,000 because things are a way bunch cheaper in sets than part by part. I then cashed the check and ordered me a $14,000 tool set, she sure showed me didn’t she.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  9. #9

    Default

    Thanks guys I am just shipping up some of my dads rifles, no hand guns. He passed away this last fall and I have just 2 that are left, I came home with 2 gun cases the last time I was down there. So if I just have 2 rifles I could use ups or the post office? That would sure make it easier on my mom.

  10. #10

    Talking

    Todd I will be in Seattle May 17-29th if you can get them there i will be glad to bring them home for you, or if there is something you need drove up the hiway call.
    Last edited by FISHHOGG; 05-05-2012 at 23:30. Reason: word

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Veneta, OR
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    AD Fields - for the record, UPS "stores" won't ship anything that has "gun" in the description (been there, done that) and when shipping just a rifle at a UPS shipping station they ask to see the FFL to verify the receiving address and it's not "federal law", it's UPS policy and subject to change at any time - UPS's "policy" for a handgun is overnight air, NOT "federal law" and FedEx has followed suit in too many of those "policies", FedEx isn't, IME, consistent enough to ship anything of value anyway, THAT is where UPS "shines" - technically, if you pull the bolt out of a BA rifle it is "non-functional", just ship it separately - also, for the record, UPS is not "anti" in any way, they are just too big and too "functional" to mess with exceptions, they used to give firearms as safety awards to the drivers

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    AD Fields - for the record, UPS "stores" won't ship anything that has "gun" in the description (been there, done that) and when shipping just a rifle at a UPS shipping station they ask to see the FFL to verify the receiving address and it's not "federal law", it's UPS policy and subject to change at any time - UPS's "policy" for a handgun is overnight air, NOT "federal law" and FedEx has followed suit in too many of those "policies", FedEx isn't, IME, consistent enough to ship anything of value anyway, THAT is where UPS "shines" - technically, if you pull the bolt out of a BA rifle it is "non-functional", just ship it separately - also, for the record, UPS is not "anti" in any way, they are just too big and too "functional" to mess with exceptions, they used to give firearms as safety awards to the drivers
    UPS, wouldn't ship a gun for me.

    That makes them anti-gun in my book, regardless of what they usta give their drivers. It's probably Smoked Turkeys this year.

    How is shipping firerarms, and "exception" to shipping other items?

    They're probably afraid their employees will steal the guns. Whatever, the reason, it's time we had a Federal Law requiring any licensed shipper to ship guns.

    I went to Fed-Ex, and they made me sign up for an account, before shipping the gun.

    A few months later I was charged for someone else's shipping.

    VISA said was likey someone at Fed-Ex that used my account.

    I can't win for losin.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  13. #13
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    AD Fields - for the record, UPS "stores" won't ship anything that has "gun" in the description (been there, done that) and when shipping just a rifle at a UPS shipping station they ask to see the FFL to verify the receiving address and it's not "federal law", it's UPS policy and subject to change at any time - UPS's "policy" for a handgun is overnight air, NOT "federal law" and FedEx has followed suit in too many of those "policies", FedEx isn't, IME, consistent enough to ship anything of value anyway, THAT is where UPS "shines" - technically, if you pull the bolt out of a BA rifle it is "non-functional", just ship it separately - also, for the record, UPS is not "anti" in any way, they are just too big and too "functional" to mess with exceptions, they used to give firearms as safety awards to the drivers
    Hmm, just sent me some "gun parts" back to Ruger Friday afternoon at the UPS Store.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  14. #14
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    UPS, wouldn't ship a gun for me.

    That makes them anti-gun in my book, regardless of what they usta give their drivers. It's probably Smoked Turkeys this year.

    How is shipping firerarms, and "exception" to shipping other items?

    They're probably afraid their employees will steal the guns. Whatever, the reason, it's time we had a Federal Law requiring any licensed shipper to ship guns.

    I went to Fed-Ex, and they made me sign up for an account, before shipping the gun.

    A few months later I was charged for someone else's shipping.

    VISA said was likey someone at Fed-Ex that used my account.

    I can't win for losin.

    Smitty of the North
    I sure agree, seems pretty anti-gun to exclude guns just because they want to, ain't any other real reason.
     
    Wonder who we could get to pin our firearms non-discrimination act.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  15. #15
    Member Phil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Liverpool, NY (a suburb of Syracuse)
    Posts
    494

    Default USPS Regulations

    I think I have all the personnel at the local post office trained BUT I keep a copy of the regs (thanks, USPS) just in case.

    It is very clear that mailing a long gun from yourself to yourself is VERY legal and at $49+ from Liverpool, NY (a suburb of Syracuse) to Anchorage, AK - it is also competitive in pricing.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •