Thread: Buzz Bombs

Default Buzz Bombs

Anyone here use Buzz Bombs?

Yes, I have used the biggest ones made for halibut and the smallest ones for reds in Cook Inlet with very good results.

I did for a long time, but have grown to prefer the Flutter Jigs cast with Do-It molds. The action is similar, but they toss better and are a lot less prone to tangling in my book. And of course, since I am casting my own they're virtually free.

They work pretty good (wife swears by them) but we prefer to toss the treble hooks and tie on a gamakatsu single hook. Especially if fishing near the bottom. The hooks that come in the package are sharp but have a tendency to tangle up in the net way to easy or break at the wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    They work pretty good (wife swears by them) but we prefer to toss the treble hooks and tie on a gamakatsu single hook. Especially if fishing near the bottom. The hooks that come in the package are sharp but have a tendency to tangle up in the net way to easy or break at the wrong time.
    Dittos. I haven't used them as much lately as years past, but do have a spinning rod set up with them. When the silvers are running I like to drift around points, cast the buzz bomb out and alternate retrieving and pausing the let the bomb sink and flutter.

Since most of my rods are conventional reels I know I'll be untangling everyones rats nests so have mostly use mooching rigs. When I bring the kids spinning rods I put buzz bombs on them.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Dittos. I haven't used them as much lately as years past, but do have a spinning rod set up with them. When the silvers are running I like to drift around points, cast the buzz bomb out and alternate retrieving and pausing the let the bomb sink and flutter.
    Same with me. I used to use them a lot over in Res Bay mooching for silvers. They can be deadly if you hit a nice school. Obviously one of their big advantages is that you can use them over and over again as opposed to having to put a new chunk of herring on each time. But I troll almost exclusively now so have kind of forgotten about them.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

The one thing to watch out for regarding using buzz bombs over and over is your leader. Coho will chew them up, and you will loose your buzz bomb if you don't replace your leader regularly.

As far as mooching and herring, I use both herring and Berkley Gulp. The nice thing about the gulp is you can get 3 or 4 coho before the gulp is chewed through and if you buy it in the tub with the juice you can drop it back in to re-scent it.

Large krocodiles can also be used the same way you use a buzz bomb, and you can jig them verticly.

Just make sure you throw the treble in trash and put a nice siwash hook on it.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Kroc's rock!!

Hard to find SuperKroc's anymore.

Good to see a few are using them. When I lived in Sitka, I acquired quite a few and now have 17 of them just sitting in a tackle box, mostly still in the package. Various sizes from 5 inch to 2 inch. I don't fish the salt anymore, so will be putting them up for sale in the sell thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Same with me. I used to use them a lot over in Res Bay mooching for silvers. They can be deadly if you hit a nice school. Obviously one of their big advantages is that you can use them over and over again as opposed to having to put a new chunk of herring on each time. But I troll almost exclusively now so have kind of forgotten about them.
    Muttley
    They work great trolled too!!!
    I couldn't believe it but I have a friend here that kills the lakers trolling 4" lemon/lime buzz bombs.
    He catches tons of fish jigging them when ice fishing as well.
    I know I have a couple in the tackle box!!!

When we fished PWS last August/September we would tip the hooks with salmon strips, worked pretty good for everything from salmon to halibut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk