Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EO Susitna Drainage

Default EO Susitna Drainage

Some of you might think about time...

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-sf...king_final.pdf

Wow!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

It's about time!

But I do have a question just to clarify. Say I catch 2 kings on one of the Susitna rivers, am I allowed to still fish somewhere like the tail race or ship? Or does the 2 fish limit shut you down for kings as soon as you get your two fish on the Su drainage?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    It's about time!

But I do have a question just to clarify. Say I catch 2 kings on one of the Susitna rivers, am I allowed to still fish somewhere like the tail race or ship? Or does the 2 fish limit shut you down for kings as soon as you get your two fish on the Su drainage?
    I believe this only pertains to "fishing in Units 1–6 of the Susitna River drainage".

This is explained in the news release that accompanies the emergency order:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...1601&year=2012

There is also action taken on the Little Su:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...1602&year=2012
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-sf...king_final.pdf

These actions were noticed in a previous news release back in March. These are the official emergency orders which put those actions into effect.

Oh my.... imagine the impending aluminum hatch on the Deshka!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Why exclude the Deshka? Guides???

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    The Deshka has a weir so it can be managed inseason. Also, Deshka has made it's escapement goal the last two years and is forecasted to meet it again but near the low end. The annual limit reduction of two does apply to the Deshka in anticipation of increased effort from more restricted locations.

Thanks for the explanation.

I was truly homesick for Alaska, having had to move to Texas to work. My wife and I were considering a trip up to fish for salmon and see all our friends we see every year at Willow Creek. But with a limit of 2, that is a real damper on justifying the expense. I truly hope this is a temporary measure, that meaning it goes back to 5 fish and the normal corky setup within the next couple years. I also feel badly for the reduced tourism income for those along the Parks Highway who count on fishing season to bolster thier anual income that is received mostly during the spring and summer.

Quote Originally Posted by germe1967 View Post
    I was truly homesick for Alaska, having had to move to Texas to work. My wife and I were considering a trip up to fish for salmon and see all our friends we see every year at Willow Creek. But with a limit of 2, that is a real damper on justifying the expense. I truly hope this is a temporary measure, that meaning it goes back to 5 fish and the normal corky setup within the next couple years. I also feel badly for the reduced tourism income for those along the Parks Highway who count on fishing season to bolster thier anual income that is received mostly during the spring and summer.
    yeah or we can let it go as was and have no kings for anyone in the near future good plan.

I've got a question. I've fished Willow in the past and have seen people use a stinger hook, meaning a hook trailing the main hook. I always questioned whether this is legal or not since it is a single hook fishery. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Quote Originally Posted by biglou001 View Post
    I've got a question. I've fished Willow in the past and have seen people use a stinger hook, meaning a hook trailing the main hook. I always questioned whether this is legal or not since it is a single hook fishery. Can anyone clarify this for me?
    Just this past weekend my dad and I were chatting while on a willow creek gravel bar and he said "I like dumb questions, they are easy to answer".

Stinger hooks are illegal in single hook fisheries.

yeah or we can let it go as was and have no kings for anyone in the near future good plan.[
    Not saying that at all. Was simply saying that this is a sad turn of events. And honestly, there are A LOT of other factors involved in reduced numbers than just sport fishermen. Look at the relaxed regs for commercial fishermen and guides. I bet they reduce those numbers by a factor of 10 more than the individual sport fisherman.

Oh, by the way. At the mouth of Willow Creek was not a single hook fishery last year. Only upstream closer to the highway. I was asked that by one person early in the season last year and got the clarification from the wildlife trooper who was standing up on the bank while I was fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by biglou001 View Post
    Normally, in the waters of unit 2, unbaited, artificial lures are allowed June 1-July 13. It goes to one unbaited, single-hook, artificial lure September 1-May 31. See page 25 of regulation book:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

In the Willow Creek drainage upstream from ADF&G 1/2 mile upstream from its mouth only one unbaited, single-hook, artificial lure is allowed year-round.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    The Deshka isn't excluded. It is totally included in the emergency order except for the single hook portion.

"The Deshka River is
    included in the annual limit reduction, but is excluded from the one unbaited, single-hook only requirement."

This is the direct quote from the EO.

I agree they need to stop it all for a couple years. It will be unfortunate for those who loose revenue ffrom it but to be sustainable there needs to be some intense management that includes cut back from all user groups. Hell the amount of kings commercial guys is probably signifiantly more than what the sport/ personal users get, But if we want sustainable numbers for the futures something needs to happen across the board.

Commercial fishing periods are being reduced by 50%, from 12 periods to 6 hour periods.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...1584&year=2012

Check out Table 2, page 49 to see harvest by user group of king salmon originating from the Northern Cook Inlet Management Area:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/FedAidPDFs/FMR10-50.pdf
    In 2009, commercial harvest was 1,737 king salmon, sport harvest was 11, 156 king salmon.

I still don't get it. Isn't this backwards?

Catch-and-release fishing is allowed, but king salmon may not be retained or possessed Tuesday–Thursday; king salmon caught may not be removed from the water and must be released immediately. King salmon may be retained on each Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday in the Little Susitna River.

So the slowest days it's c&r, and the busiest days it's c&k
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    I still don't get it. Isn't this backwards?

Catch-and-release fishing is allowed, but king salmon may not be retained or possessed Tuesday–Thursday; king salmon caught may not be removed from the water and must be released immediately. King salmon may be retained on each Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday in the Little Susitna River.

So the slowest days it's c&r, and the busiest days it's c&k
    Doesn't sound right, but I guess it at least gives a few days of escapement for the fish. Dunno.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast