Thread: Questions about AIS (Automatic Identification System)

Default Questions about AIS (Automatic Identification System)

I'm in the process of putting together several small vessels for work in the Bering and Chukchi Sea. These are normally small RIBs we launch from a larger ship, normally a modified crabber. At one point in the past I was on a boat that had an AIS system in which we could see the other work boats and the larger ship all on our VHF radio display. I was looking at a few units and noticed you can link them in with a chartplotter to overlay the AIS data on a map and get actual locations of the other boats.

Has anyone used these systems? If so I'm trying to figure out costs associated with putting these systems on our boats for safety as we'll be very remote and the fog can get very dense in our area. The main purpose is to be able to locate our ship and/or other work boats in the fog or in poor conditions. Any suggestions on brands, models, prices and such would be very helpful.

I know this is an option from Raymarine. I outfitted my boat with Raymarine electronics when it was new a few years ago, but I did not get the AIS hardware. If I remember correctly, I just needed to purchase 1 AIS module, and it would overlay on the map/plotter that I have.

You can go to Raymarine and do some research. I am sure there are other brands out there too, but this is what I am familiar with.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Charterboat Operator

i also just installed the raymarine electronics, the AIS system, though not put on yet will be going in a little later in the summer, pretty much a plug and play system. the little i know about them sounds interesting. All ships over 65 feet are required to have them, they will appear on an overlay of you plotter and shopw there movement as a radar system would, without radar. with the compatible vhf, you can tranmit your exact location to another boat without actually telling your location, it would appear on the plotter. Wish i could tell you more, but hopefully by the fall i will be able to.
    good guy to ask would be Jordan at Polar Marine 317-6056.

Call or email this guy and tell him steve from the DE forums sent ya.
    http://www.precisionmarinecenter.com/
    Chris Labozza
    Precision Marine Center
    [914] 235.4023 O
    [914] 490.0019 C
    (Call cell anytime, but email/PMs will be best in lieu of a voicemail.)

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Most all chart plotters will take incoming AIS and display them. The question is if you want to simply receive AIS or if you want to transmit your location also.

If you are looking to receive then I'd look at the receiver from Icom. Fairly inexpensive and will hook up to anything. For transmitting/receiving I'd look at ComNav's Class B unit.

I have sold and setup quite a few of both of these. Both are very easy to setup and have been very trouble free.

Huge thanks for the help. Im on my cell phone now in transition so Ill get on a these leads soon. Thanks again for the help and keep it coming.