Thread: Old Glenn Highway

Default Old Glenn Highway

Greetings all,

I've been hauling my horses over to the indoor riding arena there by the Butte on the Old Glen. I noticed a bunch of people out riding their atv's and camping there by the bridge that crosses over the river. I think the river must be the Eklutna river??? I don't know this area well at all. I'm just wondering where they're all riding too.

I have one more question about that area. When I was pulling off the Glen onto the Old Glen I noticed right there on your left before you cross the tracks there are some cars that park there and it looks like they are hiking up a trail. This is pretty close to where that Christmas tree is lit up on the side of the Glen. Has anyone here hiked that trail??

Thank you all,

Curly

The riding area is commonly known as either Jim Creek or the KRPUA (Knik River Public Use Area). It's a popular spot for ATV riders because there are trails all the way back to the glacier- I think that's somewhere between 25-30 miles back. It's got a little something for everyone- sand dunes, mud holes, treed trails, open flats, glacier. You will also frequently see full size vehicles going back there. People camp near the parking areas and sometimes further back. There's a sticky in this section (ATV) on Jim Creek / KRPUA.

There is a hiking trail up the hill there next to the New Glenn/Old Glenn split. I've never hiked there but often see people parked there. You might get more info on that one in the hiking section.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

ive seen black bears at that trail head plenty of times.
    Semper Fi!

Thanks Eagleriverdee.

I think a number of the cars that park there may be just parking to carpool into town for work on a daily basis. I could be wrong, but just what I thought when I saw them there frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I think a number of the cars that park there may be just parking to carpool into town for work on a daily basis. I could be wrong, but just what I thought when I saw them there frequently.

that is very likely.
    Semper Fi!

There are people who ride their horses all the time in the Jim Creek area. There are lots of open areas, the ATVers will give you room. If you are on a trail in the woods, I wouldn't approach a corner if you hear ATVs coming but that is just common sense. Great area to play in!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.