Thread: Need new diamond plate floor

Default Need new diamond plate floor

I'd like to get a new diamond plate floor installed in my boat. It has been a long time since I had any welding/fab done on a boat. Any recommendations out there for Anchorage or Kenai?

Greatland Welding in Palmer www.greatlandwelding.com
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I'd second Gary or try Alaska Frontier Fabricators in Wasilla they do some excellent work.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default floor installation

Normally there is no welding in the diamond plate floor, the diamond plate can be cut with a skillsaw or table saw, then it can be screwed or riveted down, it just takes a few hours of work and it looks great, wear safety glasses when cutting the aluminum, spray it with wd-40 as you cut, makes it much easier. Use a jig saw to cut any curves needed. Ask a buddy that is a carpenter to help, just like cutting plywood to fit a floor.

What about additional supports? I am afraid that it will be flimsy. I think I have 5/8" or 1/2" plywood on there now. I am trying to get rid of some water weight in the foam and the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    What about additional supports? I am afraid that it will be flimsy. I think I have 5/8" or 1/2" plywood on there now. I am trying to get rid of some water weight in the foam and the wood.
    You may need to add additional supports to prevent sagging. AK Frontier Fab did the same to a boat last winter and it's amazing how heavy the vinyl covered wood gets over time. Shaved a good 200 plus off the boat. An option you may want to consider over the diamond plate is to use regular 3/16 and have it armor coated. Cut the the plates to fit and then have them sprayed. The coating isn't as slick as diamond plate when wet and it makes a better sound deadening.