Thread: The electronics hunter.

Default The electronics hunter.

When I started hunting there was no electronics a person used in the field. Now hunters carry a
    GPS with or with out tracking, range finder, cell phone, computer to post question or make comment on a forum from the field, satellite phone, game caller (not legal for moose hunting)
    electronics earphone to protect the ears, audio amplifier to hear game, iPod, bear fence, digital camera,
    digital video camera, and a solar panel to charge all the electronics.

What will be the next electronics device a hunter will need? How about a Drone with a video camera and a GPS or a computer with real time satellite over head information with animal identification or real time You Tube video of a hunter in the field or a camera-cell phone that will send you pictures it recorded from the field.

Sounds crazy... it was less than 25 years ago we did not have 10 of the items I listed. The only radio that was able to communicate from the bush was a HF SSB.

Just wondering what will be the next toy I will buy as I wait for my Drift HD Action camera to arrive.

The thing to remember is that alot of the electronic gear used today is primarily for safety. GPS so you don't wind up lost in this huge state, bear fence to keep them out at night, sat. phone for medical emergencies. In the end, getting home to your family is worth the extra weight and the accpetance that you no longer hunt "traditionally". I don't feel there is any loss in my connection to the land, but there are alot of gizmos out there that sure make things alot more convenient.

Electronics I carry....Flashlight and this year my ma got me a SPOT, she's a worrier. That's it.

I've looked into the whole drone thing. You can build one with a computer chip that will fly a preset GPS flight path for less than $2000. Throw a Go-Pro on it, you've got an automated drone to search for animals and it doesn't qualify under the same day airborne law or the radio communication law, because you dont use radio to control it. Something about that just doesn't quite feel ethical, though.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Still just a flashlight for me and usually dead batteries in it.Don't see electronics as safety issue more lack of knowledge of area hunted and lack of ability to really get away from it all like the past. Many today think they are siwash hunting if the microwave is left behind JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I carry a GPS a camera, and a flashlight. I also carry a compass and a map. I don't trust anything that takes batteries. I will also have a satellite phone for my sheep hunt to call in the air taxi.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I typically don't mind things like my GPS, feel good about toting my spot, think the digital camera is the best thing since sliced cheese. Used my Blackberry to get an updated weather forecast last year.

I can navigate with topo and compass, work a manual 35mm, manage to stay alive until I'm found or get out on my own...I'm even a fair hand at reading the weather thanks to a broken bone in my nose that throbs when the barometer falls.

I do feel a person can rely on these gizmos and get into a heap of trouble but as a matter of convenience I'm pretty enamored with some of it and disgusted by others. To a guy who's never navigated with a topo- the miracle of the GPS is largely unappreciated.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I'm too poor to hunt with electronics!
    I've never been able to figure out my GPS, so compass, sun, and landmarks for me (and common sense, which seems to not be that common anymore).

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ....and common sense, which seems to not be that common anymore.
    Yeah, it's so rare these days it's like having your very own superpower.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I'm too poor to hunt with electronics!
    I've never been able to figure out my GPS, so compass, sun, and landmarks for me (and common sense, which seems to not be that common anymore).
    When I read the first couple of posts, I thought of you and your upcoming siwash hunt. Pretty hard to NOT be connected to the land that way. Electronics?....We don't need no stinking tent, much less electronics...!!!

I resisted joining the computer/internet age until four years ago.Before then,I'd never even touched a PC,"I can hunt,I can fish,I can fix it if it ain't got no computer" was my motto.I can navigate with a compass,fair judge of distance,and mastered the basics of a 35mm camera.For work I can still use a plumb bob and water level.............

All that being said,I sure do like my Toshiba Laptop,it has expanded my horizons to infinity and my Rangemaster 1600 LRF sure is nifty even if it tells me how close I need to get to get a shot at that critter.A digital camera makes anyone a pro.Not to mention that GPS that can take me back to that hot fishing hole I found by accident...........

Do I NEED all these toys ? No,but they sure are a lot of fun !!!

The newer gadgets aren't the problem. The problem is too many hunters now depend and rely on them without first learning how to hunt (and camp and survive etc) without them.

It's a serious problem imo. And reflects greatly on the woodcraft and skills all hunters used to need to know, and the cautions they take in the field. I have no problem with any of the newer gadgets...I just wish before hunters were able to use them they first learned how to hunt and survive without them.

Siwashing, ya, I got that APP