Thread: Where's that guy from Yellowknife?

Default Where's that guy from Yellowknife?

Anybody? I remembering seeing some guy posting on here from YK. I'm heading down there next week and I need to know if it's gonna be worth it to bring a rod. I figure everything is probly still frozen but if there's a square foot of open water somewhere, I need to fish in it Thanks from Inuvik

Quote Originally Posted by PGK View Post
    Anybody? I remembering seeing some guy posting on here from YK. I'm heading down there next week and I need to know if it's gonna be worth it to bring a rod. I figure everything is probly still frozen but if there's a square foot of open water somewhere, I need to fish in it Thanks from Inuvik
    I'm still here.
    Yellowknife river should be open as it was looking pretty rotten last Saturday and there were patches of open water.
    The Cameron River North of town may have some open spots as well. Not sure about Baker Creek by the Giant Mine here in town though. Might be worth a look as you would be passing by it to get to the other two locations any way.
    The lakes are still pretty tight.
    This pic was taken last Saturday.

P4280140.jpg

Haha right on! The internet rocks. Even if there's a few square inches out in front of baker or along the town in YK bay, that'll work. I've been down prosperous/pontoon area before and hiked in to tartan once but I've never been out as far as Cameron. Probably a little early for Baker but if it's flowing I'll be down there. They just closed the ice road up here but the crossings are still open at least for another few days. This has been the never ending winter. I was out on the ice catching burbot on october 12th!!

I'll probably be down at the Yellowknife River Sunday testing out my new Simms G4 Pros and learning to spey cast.

I won't get down until monday evening but I can bring a couple two handers if you want some tips. What have you got for a rod? I do have a couple lines I've been needing to try. Wasn't planning on bringing that much artillery but it's just carry on

I won't get down until monday evening but I can bring a couple two handers if you want some tips. What have you got for a rod? I do have a couple lines I've been needing to try. Wasn't planning on bringing that much artillery but it's just carry on
    Sage Z-Axis 7136
    It's actually a custom rod that I built for centerpin fishing with the ability to also use it in a spey configuration.
    A different kind of switch rod.
    I have an new 7wt medium belly multi tip spey line to try out on it.

I've got the zxis 7110 and a TFO deercreek 4110 with me. A few others at my place down south. I use a 375 skagit and a 360 scandi on the z7110 and a 270 scandi on the 4110. I've got an airflo 40+ 7wt and a rio outbound 6wt sinktip to try on the 4110. Hope to use that 4110/sinktip rig for coneys in June. That's if the ****** snow ever melts. -14 today.

+8 here in the banana belt.

Here's a couple pics of the rod.

Nice seat. Probly gonna be funky to spey cast though. Won't be able to generate much torque with that short top handle.

Possibly, but the fore grip is longer than it looks in the pic because of the location of the reel seat.
    The rear grip is actually about twice the length of a regular rear grip on a spey rod @ about 9".
    Aslo misleading is the reel on the rod in the pic. It's a 5" centerpin so it makes the handle look a little shorter as well.
    Overall length of the handle is about 21" so it may be a little short but it feels ok to me.

This is the alaska outdoors forum...

In case you didn't notice, this is the unofficial forum of everyone living north of 60*

How was it on sunday? If I can get a car, I'll head out there tonight.

In case you didn't notice, this is the unofficial forum of everyone living north of 60*

How was it on sunday? If I can get a car, I'll head out there tonight.
    Never made it. Got bogged down with work around the house.
    Took longer than I figured and didn't even get done what I had planned.

Hey man sorry I couldn't get back to you, didn't bring a laptop and have no internet access on my phone. I was out at the YK river on monday night and hiked into tartan on wednesday afternoon. Still a good 2-3ft of ice on prosperous. Never caught anything at the rapids.

No problem. They were still driving on Prelude last Saturday.
    I don't expect to catch any fish yet, need a bit more open water and a bit more temperature in the water first.
    I will be heading out to "catch" a fish on the long weekend.
    If I get out earlier it will just be practice and if a fish is hook it will be a bonus.