Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tsunami debris at Montague Island

Default Tsunami debris at Montague Island

I saw something on the news last night about how Japanese debris was washing up on shore south of Cordova. Then they said it was much worse at Montague Island. Anyone been out to Montague lately and have you seen anything? I'm hoping that this season we won't have to be dodging crap that could put a hole in your boat. This is from yesterday:

KAYAK ISLAND, Alaska — Tons of debris suspected to have washed into the Pacific Ocean during the March 2011 Japan tsunami, are showing up on Alaska’s coastline.

On Kayak Island, roughly 60 miles southeast of Cordova, hundreds of buoys, thousands of bottles, countless fuel cans, shoes, chunks of building insulation, and other household items litter the beach for miles.

It’s even worse on Montague Island, according to Chris Pallister, president of Gulf of Alaska Keeper, a non-profit group which cleans up beaches each spring and summer.

“It’s a staggering mess,” he said during a visit to Kayak Island last Friday, “the magnitude of this is just hard to comprehend and I’ve been looking at this stuff a long time.”

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I saw something on the news last night about how Japanese debris was washing up on shore south of Cordova.
    Check this out: http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...found-bc-beach
    Alaska Dispatch has a number of articles regarding the debris as well. If you're interested check it out.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I heardl last night about the Harley washing up on shore. I can only imagine what else we're going to see.

Seems like there could be some really cool beachcombing to be had. I know that most of it will be trash, but there is sure to be some treasure to be found.

I know my wife is excited to get out there and do some beach combing in two weeks.
    Just hope it doesn't cause any problems for the boaters.
    BK

If I'd have known my Harley would float I would have taken it out to Montague to do some trolling last year.......

I can't imagine it would be worth anything to the original owners - and leaving it sit below the tide line certainly isn't going to help it any further.

Pretty crazy to think it would take that long to hit land again.

I was on Kayak Island about a year ago. That island is a mess even before the Tsunami. If you could imagine it, I think I found it. All of the garbage we found had oriental writing on it. If you’re in search of a new pair of flip flops you can find thousands of them there.

We gathered up all the buoys within 100 yards of camp that wasn't stuck in between the drift wood and piled them up and I think we came up with 300 or so.The pile was so high that the Coast Guard hovered over wondering what the heck.

What a opportunity for "tsunami beach combing charters" its going to be a gold rush for all the pickers to go through that junk. State should make it a requirement for every person landing on the islands to bring back at least one big bag of garbage or at least pile all the bags up for a big burn at the end of the season.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak kid View Post
    I was on Kayak Island about a year ago. That island is a mess even before the Tsunami. If you could imagine it, I think I found it. All of the garbage we found had oriental writing on it. If you’re in search of a new pair of flip flops you can find thousands of them there.

We gathered up all the buoys within 100 yards of camp that wasn't stuck in between the drift wood and piled them up and I think we came up with 300 or so.The pile was so high that the Coast Guard hovered over wondering what the heck.
    I was going to say the same thing. Kayak Island has been a mess for years. When I worked on the Research Vessel Alpha Helix, we found a case of Japanese whiskey on Kayak. It was top shelf

If anyone finds any Saki or other japanese whiskey, I volunteer to dispose of it, no charge!
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    What a opportunity for "tsunami beach combing charters" its going to be a gold rush for all the pickers to go through that junk. State should make it a requirement for every person landing on the islands to bring back at least one big bag of garbage or at least pile all the bags up for a big burn at the end of the season.
    I think people should stay away from that radioactive junk.

Stay away? Harley Davidson couldn't stay away from a golden opportunity!

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/201...tsunami/?tsp=1

Now all we have to do is find empty high-end liquor bottles, and maybe the original manufacturer will restore them for our enjoyment!

so when do they expect the radioactive salmon to show up

Just wondering... To get back on the subject... Has Anybody been out there? I'm less concerned with what has washed up on the shore and more concerned about what is floating on the water! One board with a nail or bolt in it, or some rope tangled in drifting kelp, can put a quick end to the day.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcWest View Post
    I think people should stay away from that radioactive junk.
    Radioactive? Not even a concern. Stuff washed away days before any radioactive issues came up and even then, only a small portion WAS anywhere near the nuclear disaster sites even if there was a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    So what's the going rate to bring back 1 item and how much would one be willing to pay for another.?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

What if Godzilla shows up????

Quote Originally Posted by egreife View Post
    What if Godzilla shows up????
    Gonna need a bigger boat....

As to the picker side of things, coming from a person who picks for a living, this is an incredible opportunity to people with means to get to the island in the first place. If you're smart and know what is junk and what is worth $$$, I can easily see the finds from venturing out to Montague paying off the gas bill.

I can't imagine being on the south side of Montague and beach combing instead of fishing. It would drive me nuts. Maybe over at Fox Farm Bay, anchored up for the night there would be something worth while on the outside there. I will definitely be down that way in the next month, hopefully many times...
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast