Thread: Another bag question

Default Another bag question

Looking for a synthetic bag. It has to fit a pretty specific spec for me. Looking for a lightwieght (less than 4lbs) compressable (little larger than a football), 15 to 25 degree, and has to fit some what loose (I'm a side sleeper and move a lot). I think fit is the hardest thing for me. I am 6' ranging from 210 to 230 lbs (depending on the part of the season).

I would love to try a bunch out, but don't have access to the ones I want to try out.

Any suggestions?

I am the same size as you, I just got the Mountain Hardware Ultralamina 15 it fits me just fine. It weighs 2lbs 13oz Is about a football size compressed and is rated for 15 degrees, they also make one for 20 and 30 degrees. You might want to check out The North Face Cats Meow as well. Good Luck
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by Trappnguns View Post
    Looking for a synthetic bag. It has to fit a pretty specific spec for me. Looking for a lightwieght (less than 4lbs) compressable (little larger than a football), 15 to 25 degree, and has to fit some what loose (I'm a side sleeper and move a lot). I think fit is the hardest thing for me. I am 6' ranging from 210 to 230 lbs (depending on the part of the season).

I would love to try a bunch out, but don't have access to the ones I want to try out.

Any suggestions?
    TNG I have the Mountain Hardware ultralamina 15 long and live her in Kodiak so if you want to drop me a PM you can check it out. Like Ds said the North Face Cats Meow is a good option as well and Orion's had that one in stock a couple of months ago. 58 degrees stocks MH bags and can order you one up if they do not have it in stock. Good luck...

Default thanks!

That is the exact one I was looking at.

I would try it out GD, but I will be home all of 1 and a half days before I move to Ketchikan in mid June.

Didn't realize 58 degrees had MH bags... Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks again.

I have the MH Ultralamina 32 degree bag, and love it. It's super light, super compactable, and I've used it in temperatures below freezing (with clothes on) without any problems. The only issue I have with it are the two zippers that run halfway down each side, they can be a bit of a pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I have the MH Ultralamina 32 degree bag, and love it. It's super light, super compactable, and I've used it in temperatures below freezing (with clothes on) without any problems. The only issue I have with it are the two zippers that run halfway down each side, they can be a bit of a pain in the ass.
    I was shopping the REI sale and looked hard at that bag. I wanted to buy it, but that 1/3 zipper setup turned me off. Really nice light bag, but I like to be able to open it up and just have the bag on top (sleeping on a thermarest pad) like a blanket if it gets too warm.

Thanks to other posters. I ended up getting the TNF Cat's Meow - a very nice bag. My warning for others. Regardless of what the websites say, the regular sized bag is too small for someone around 5'10". I should have know better, but I returned it right away and got a "long" which fits perfectly.

I ended up with the MH UL 15 long. Might not be as light as the 32, but it compacts down pretty small. The new design has a zipper that goes more than a third of the way down.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it so far.