Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fifth Annual "Kenai King Kontest"

Default Fifth Annual "Kenai King Kontest"

It is now officially May 1, and the "KKK" is back for 2012! (Is it really that time of year again?)

OK... the Kenai River sonar crew is now busily preparing for 2012 and officially starts counting ER kings in about two weeks. Anyone else getting excited about the upcoming season? Things are now a little different as ADFG will no longer be posting daily sonar counts for Kenai kings on their website or the local "fish count" phone line. An "official" daily estimate will be made but not disseminated in the usual fashion. The public will be periodically apprised of the run's progress based on several indices of run strength at regular intervals. That said, I have been assured an inaugural number will be issued for May 16, but it may come a few days later than we've been accustomed to in the past. Decision day may come a bit late, but the show WILL go on!

I started this little game for fun four years ago, and it has morphed into something a little bigger and better at every step of the way thanks to the participation and generosity of many board members. Last year's prize list was sweetened with some VERY generous donations, top prize being a guided Kenai River King Salmon charter donated by Beaver Creek Cabins and Guide Service. This contest is 100 percent free to registered board members. All you have to do is submit your educated predictions. So join in the fun!

Thanks in advance to those that plan to donate prizes for 2012. Once again, I am going to ask all prize donors to specify whether the prize they will be giving away will go to first place, second place, or third place. That way even a prize-donor has a legitimate shot at winning something.

Have fun.... may the best guess win.... AND....

LET THERE BE KINGS!

2012 Rules:

1) Reply to this thread by 11:59 PM on May 15 with your guess as to what the first day's (May 16) Kenai River early run sonar estimate will be.

2) You must also include a tie-breaking guess at what the eighth day's (May 23) sonar estimate will be.

3) Winning entry will be the guess closest to the May 16 sonar estimate without going over.

4) In the event of identical "winning" entries for May 16, there will be a week of added suspense. The winning tie-breaking entry will be the guess closest to the May 23 sonar estimate without going over.

5) In the event of identical "tie-breaking" May 23 entries, the entrant who first posted them shall be declared the winner.

6) The second closest May 16 guess without going over shall determine the second place winner. (The loser of a tied first place guess is NOT a second place prize-winner). The May 23 guess shall settle a possible tie on May 16 for second place. In case of another tie on May 23, the closest tie-breaking guess posted first on this thread shall be the winner.

7) Third place shall be determined in similar fashion.

I will have BrianM update the portion below so that a current list of prizes stays at the top of the thread.

FIRST PLACE PRIZES:

fishNphysician will send the FIRST PLACE winner a choice of any THREE new-in-the-package:

2012 Custom Ifish.net "Lightning Bug" K-15 KwikFish

2011 Ifish.net "LMWS" MagLip

2009 Custom Ifish.net "eyeFISH II" K-15 Kwikfish

Alaska Outdoors Supersite will donate a copy of Fishing Alaska's Kenai Peninsula from our bookstore.

A HUGE THANK YOU goes out to markw3 of fishology Alaska

http://www.akfishology.com/index.html

He is generously donating a guided trip for two people on the Kenai River on a space-available basis, excluding July 10 thru July 31, to the FIRST PLACE winner.

Depending on the winner's desires, Mark has made this donation flexible enough to allow for early season king salmon in the lower river, upriver trout, or late summer silver salmon.

SECOND PLACE PRIZES:

fishNphysician will send the SECOND PLACE winner a choice of any TWO new-in-the-package:

Alaska Outdoors Supersite will donate a copy of Fishing Alaska's Kenai Peninsula from our bookstore.

And, kasilofchrisn will give the 2nd place winner their choice of one of the following:

1) 4 sets of cannonball backbouncing weights That I make in sizes 1oz 1.5, 2, 2.5 ,3, 3.5, 4 ,4.5 ,5, 6, and 8 oz

2) No boat? 4 sets of triangular claw sinkers perfect for bank fishermen or surf fishing sizes 1,2,3,and 4 oz

3) 4 sets of Bulldozer sinkers 1,2,3,4,and5 oz also good for riverbank or surf fishing.

4) Any 4 of my Halibut/ling/rockfish lures powdercoated and finished as can be seen in the saltwater fishing forum under new halibut jigs. Your choice of a dozen+ instock colors.

THIRD PLACE PRIZES:

fishNphysician will send the THIRD PLACE winner a choice of ONE new-in-the-package:

Alaska Outdoors Supersite will donate a copy of Fishing Alaska's Kenai River from our bookstore.

And courtesy of JediMasterSalmonSlayer, 1 complete base set of KISS 360 trading cards. This set of cards will give you the edge in all your angling pursuits this year!

Also, kgpcr is donating 4 J-Plugs. You will get one each of Batman, Deadhead, Yellow Belly and Mongoose.

Also, thewhop2000 is offering a couple of jars of his home made smoked Sockeye. Been working on the recipe for 30 somewhat years and everyone that tastes it says it's the Bomb.
    Last edited by Brian M; 05-16-2012 at 16:05.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

FYI the Kwikfish I am giving away are limited edition custom designs produced in very small quantities that have become collector's items. They have sold on E-Bay for outrageous sums.

The Lightning Bug design recently fetched $46 on the web-based auction...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...vip=true&rt=nc

The eyeFISH II design sold for $63 three days earlier....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...vip=true&rt=nc
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

A little birdy whispered in my ear that a guided drift trip for Kasilof Kings this June is a STRONG possibility.... details soon.
    The KeenEye MD

ok well I guess I get to be the first to guess, I am going with 42, and 39.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    ok well I guess I get to be the first to guess, I am going with 42, and 39.
    Look on the bright side; in case of a double-tie-breaker, you'll win!

I will guess 113, 152

Im new at this but guessing 92-104

ill go with 56 and 74
    hook, line, sinker, done.

I will go with 38 and 52

I'll guess 37 and 47.

77 and 57 feels like a winner

I will go with 35, 51

The winning numbers are....

19 for May 16
    69 for May 23

Lets try: