Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How is the butt fishing in Homer now?

Default How is the butt fishing in Homer now?

I have a trip for a friend and his visiting family on 12 May down in Homer. They want to do some halibut fishing down there and I have only ever been out around flat island. I fished out of there in July last year and the fishing was great, especially for my childern. They were catching them all day, nothing big, but very consistant. I just want to make sure this experience is a lasting one for this family, as he has served over 21 year in the military and his family is coming up to celebrate thier son's retirement from the Air Force and thier grandson's high school graduation (no pressure on me right...lol). Assuming the weather is good, is that a decent place to go in early May?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman 101 View Post
    I have a trip for a friend and his visiting family on 12 May down in Homer. They want to do some halibut fishing down there and I have only ever been out around flat island. I fished out of there in July last year and the fishing was great, especially for my childern. They were catching them all day, nothing big, but very consistant. I just want to make sure this experience is a lasting one for this family, as he has served over 21 year in the military and his family is coming up to celebrate thier son's retirement from the Air Force and thier grandson's high school graduation (no pressure on me right...lol). Assuming the weather is good, is that a decent place to go in early May?

Thanks in advance.
    The halibut fishing has been pretty good within the bay for a few weeks now and it just gets better daily. Here are 2 that I put in the boat two weeks ago:
    IMG_4051.jpg
    The one on the left was 20 lbs. and the one on the right 15 lbs. Not giants, but decent fish for this time of year and only about 10 to 12 miles or so from the end of the Spit. And I was out with a client two days ago and she took home a 19 pounder and a 20 pounder (unfortunately no pictures) that we got in the same spot as the two in my picture. And I have heard of some bigger ones being taken in a couple of other spots within the bay. By the time you are here it will only be that much better. The Homer Halibut Derby will be in full swing the, too, so don't forget your derby tix!

And don't forget that there are some decent kings around, too. I've caught four in the 15 lb. range in the last two weeks and my client took home a 9 pounder the other day. A little icing on the cake.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Sent a couple of guys down there this past Thursday,they did great and one caught a 60# butt.Was nice as they came up from Colorado to set up some equipment in our shop and it's their first time in AK.They went to Seward on Friday and limited on rockfish and smaller butts.I thought they were joking when they said it was 320' !!! No thanks,think I'll stick to Homer or the Inlet for my butt........

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    The Homer Halibut Derby will be in full swing the, too, so don't forget your derby tix!
    I need to correct that statement. The halibut derby doesn't start until May 15th, so you'll be a few days early. Sorry for any confusion.

Muttley,
    That sounds pretty decent to me. You think Flat Island is going to be my best shot, or do you have another recommendation that is not a secret honey hole? No matter what I know we will have a great trip. Homer is such a nice place to visit, and if we can catch some fish on top of that I know they will be thrilled. Thanks for reminding me about the kings. I wasn't even thinking about them.

Muttley,
    That sounds pretty decent to me. You think Flat Island is going to be my best shot, or do you have another recommendation that is not a secret honey hole? No matter what I know we will have a great trip. Homer is such a nice place to visit, and if we can catch some fish on top of that I know they will be thrilled. Thanks for reminding me about the kings. I wasn't even thinking about them.
    Yeah, despite what the "nay sayers" on this forum have to say, I think a limit of 20 pounders is a decent day. Not to mention there's always the chance you're going to hook into something significantly bigger. And a king or two on top of that is just icing on the cake.

I haven't fished Flat Island yet this year, but it isn't any secret that it's a favorite spot for a lot of people. I remember the first time I ever fished there. I'd heard people talk about how great the fishing can be there and headed out bright and early and when I got there I counted about 30 boats in easy seeing distance from me. But at this time of year it's probably not going to be quite that crowded. If the weather is good I wouldn't think twice about going there if I were you. The tide isn't too bad on May 12th, so that shouldn't be a real problem.

I've heard that people have been doing pretty well off of Seldovia lately. I've got a charter tomorrow and if the water is decent I may head there first thing in the morning and give it a shot. The nice thing about fishing there is it's a quick hop over to the 4th of July/Pogi stretch to troll for kings.

And if that doesn't work I'll head for my "middle of the bay" spot and then across to the Bluffs for kings. Once again, I've heard the Bluffs has been pretty good for kings lately, but of course a week from now it might be Pogi that's working for everyone. If I can remember to I'll give a report on how we did.

Not a bad day out there today for halibut. I just started out at my "middle of the bay" spot and, once again, it was slow, but productive. These are the 4 that we kept:
    Cale and butt.jpg
    The big one there was about 37 lbs. and the others 29, 23 and 14. But kings were absolutely lackluster off the Bluffs. I ran into a friend who had been there a few hours before we got there and she hadn't caught a thing. We trolled for close to 3 hours and caught one little chicken butt and not even a single take down. When we were heading back in we passed my friend again and she had caught a really small king, but that was it. Oh well.

Muttley,
    I know you have said you keep a scale on board, so I am curious, how do the K-Bay halibut match up to the length and weight chart in the tide book? For the 37 pounder, the chart says it would have been 43". It looks about right, but knowing you have a scale, I am curious of your thoughts here.

Quote Originally Posted by cwm907 View Post
    Muttley,
    I know you have said you keep a scale on board, so I am curious, how do the K-Bay halibut match up to the length and weight chart in the tide book? For the 37 pounder, the chart says it would have been 43". It looks about right, but knowing you have a scale, I am curious of your thoughts here.
    I have actually compared the weight by scale and the weight chart quite a number of times and it varies quite a bit both ways. I have found, though, that it is probably more often wrong when it says a certain length should be a certain weight and it is lighter than they say it should be, but usually not by much. I'm sure it has a lot to do with a lot of different factors like how heavily the halibut has been feeding, etc. That bigger one we got yesterday had a whole fish in its stomach around a foot long that looked like possibly an Irish Lord or some sort of sculpin (it was pretty well digested so a little hard to identify). And one time a couple of years ago we caught a halibut that went about 12 lbs. or so and it had 23 small crabs in its stomach. I'd say those crabs accounted for a couple of pounds.

Kind of off subject here, but I've also tried the "length and girth" formula on a LOT of winter kings I've caught and it is always off the same way---the fish is lighter than the formula says it should be.

I'd love to get more scientific about it and actually write the specs down for every fish, but you know how that goes when you're busy catching fish and having too much fun! Maybe I'll try and make a point of it this year and see what comes up. It sure would be interesting to find out.

Yeah, it would be very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Default fished Homer on 5/4/12

Fished in the Soldovia area yesterday. Picked up fur chickens for two rods. Had to move twice to run from cod....one of the four was a Jelly Halibut...none were over 20 LBS. Best bite was an hour after high tide. Weather was OK a little cold. Didn't see another boat boat all day.

This is my first post. Moved here two years ago and I'm loving being here. Thanks for all your post, I have learned a ton about Alaska on this forum.

On Kings in Homer.......At the bluff, what depth should I be trolling? We trolled Thursday evening for a couple hours in 40-50 feet on the bottom and didnt get a touch. Any advice on depth? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Welcome to the forum.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by rubberboot View Post
    Fished in the Soldovia area yesterday. Picked up fur chickens for two rods. Had to move twice to run from cod....one of the four was a Jelly Halibut...none were over 20 LBS. Best bite was an hour after high tide. Weather was OK a little cold. Didn't see another boat boat all day.

This is my first post. Moved here two years ago and I'm loving being here. Thanks for all your post, I have learned a ton about Alaska on this forum.

On Kings in Homer.......At the bluff, what depth should I be trolling? We trolled Thursday evening for a couple hours in 40-50 feet on the bottom and didnt get a touch. Any advice on depth? Thanks in advance for your advice.
    If you were getting only chickens off of Seldovia you might have been fishing in too close and/or too shallow. I've heard over 200 ft. has been more productive lately. Later in the season you will find bigger butt closer in.

Off the Bluffs 40 ft. is pretty shallow for kings. When I troll there, for the most part I usually start trolling in about 70 ft. of water with downriggers at about 30 to 40 ft. and maybe one at about 50 to 60 ft. I've caught more kings with that combination than any, though that can be situational.

Thanks for the info Muttley. New to butt fishing, so as the summer goes on I'm sure i'll be asking you a few questions.

Quote Originally Posted by wingshooter12g View Post
    Thanks for the info Muttley. New to butt fishing, so as the summer goes on I'm sure i'll be asking you a few questions.
    My pleasure. I'll be more than happy to give you any assistance I can. You can PM me if you have any specific questions as to how I do things.

Muttley,
    We should be headed down your way later this afternoon provided the conditions don't get any worse. Any updates on the fishing and sea conditions? I checked the NOAA site and it stated around 3ft seas.

Thanks

Muttley,
    We should be headed down your way later this afternoon provided the conditions don't get any worse. Any updates on the fishing and sea conditions? I checked the NOAA site and it stated around 3ft seas.

Thanks
    I haven't been out since I took my client out last week, so can't really give you an updated report on the fishing. But I didn't have any trouble getting those 4 decent sized halibut last week. So you know it isn't going to get any worse from here on out. If I wanted to fish for kings I'd either head for the south Anchor Pt. marker and try around there for feeders and spawners, or across the bay in the 4th of July to Pogi area. Or if you're really adventurous maybe Whiskey Gulch. I'm just itching to get up there and pick up some early spawners.

Right now the water isn't looking too bad. I just looked out with my binocs and if I didn't have things to do in town I wouldn't think twice about going out. I can see a couple of boats heading out and it doesn't look like they're splashing through very big waves. And it doesn't look like it should get any worse over the next couple of days. If you want a good way to gauge the wave height check out the current wave height at the Anchor Pt. buoy: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46108. That's one of my favorite indicators.

Muttley,
    Thanks for the link. I also appreciate the updated look with your binoculars. Reading about sea conditions is one thing, but seeing is believing. Hopefully it all works out and I can share some nice pictures with you.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Muttley,
    just made it down here and the water looks perfect. Hope it holds up tomorrow.

Thanks again for the peek with your binos.

I will be in Homer tomorrow morning too. Kalgin King, black 22' Hewes Ocean Pro
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast