Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bears.What BEARS

Red face Bears.What BEARS

ANY advice to the visiting angler about bears.going to the keni pen in july Mabie hiking in a few miles away from the crowds now and then if we can.Bears have been in the back of my mind.whats the score.I can run faster than my freinds.
    Regards Graham

Default Run first

If you can run faster than your friends, and none of them are armed where they could shoot you in the knee to slow you down, you should be fine.

I am by no means an expert--but I spend a lot of time on the Kenai area rivers--whether floating or walking in to fly fish.

Bears are out in force in July--but only where the fishing is good. I floated the upper Kenai River a couple-to-few times week in April, and then from July-Sept. and saw more bears on the upper river in July than any other time. The reds are in thick then and the bears come out to play. Third week in July we saw 4 brown bears and not sure how many blackies in one trip. My girlfriend said she counted a total of 13 bears---but think she counted some of the blackies twice. We saw three browns on three consectutive floats on the upper Kenai during April. In June when fishing the Russian for the first run of reds it seemed like we saw a bear everytime we walked in. Granted, my buddy and I were trying to avoid crowds (and work) fishing late in the evening and early mornings--fewer people, more bears. They closed the Russian area to fishing overnight in July because of bear activity.

Outside the Kenai, I only saw one blackie down on Deep Creek while fishing silvers.

Seems like there were just a ton of bears this year. But out of all of them--not sure how many--never had a problem. Moved to new spots many times just to give em' room. Way I figure it, they were there before me and they are fishing to put on fat to last the winter--I am often fishing solely for the enjoyment--such as for rainbows or dollies--or have enough already put up as for salmon--so I move on.

Now, where can you go for good fishing without having to keep an eye out for bears? They usually run halibut charters out to the salt water. Wherever you go, if the fish are in, there may be a bear or two or 13 with the same thing in mind.

Way I figure, just use your head and give'em room. Being in a group which sounds like ya'll are will help. Move along steadily making noise. If ya'll hike in along the Upper Kenai--pretty much from the Russian to Skilak--be careful--there will be bears.

Will

Default Oh, almost forgot----

Try to stay on established trails--there are plenty--and avoid bushwacking into the thick stuff when you can. Last year a fella and his friends decided to save the couple-hundred yard walk and bushwack strait through a patch of thick stuff between the road and the Russian ferry area. They bushwacked strait into a sow and her two cubs. She charged, he shot, she bled and ran off. Do not think they ever found the sow, but the two orphaned cubs hung out at the confluence of the Russian all summer--without the guidance of mamma. (They will no doubt be back again this year)

Will

make lots of noise carry pepper spray and don't have stinky stuff on you / in camp
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Be careful with the pepper spray, saw a video where a guy used it on a pit bull and ended up getting in his own eyes. do you guys have access to any high power revolvers? or maybe even a shotgun? ...K

Default Thanks

Hi .Thanks for your thoughts ,Looks like we shoudnt have a problem so long as we give them the space and respect that these great beasts deserve. It will be a thrill to see them in the wild.Saw 1 in a zoo here in scotland a few years back ,It was v v sad to see this demented beast running back and fore then bouncing up and down on its front paws all day.
    Regards Graham.

You didn't say whether you guys had access to any high powered revolvers? not sure if you all are citizens or not but it should not matter, because every year there are alot of Non-resident aliens that hunt here in the great state...just have to fill out the paper work so you can travel with your declared weapon...I guess it sounds easy for me to say, maybe the laws are different there....believe me fly fishing on a pristine river will have the bears, and you will have peace of mind as long as your carrying...unless you just don't like guns....anyways cheers and good luck fishing.....K

fearnot,

Use common sense and read about bear safety before coming to Alaska and you should be very safe. Here is a link from our state fish and game management dept with bear safety basics. http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...=bears.bearfax

I never carry a gun when going fishing here in Alaska. Guns are for hunting and sometimes camping.

I am not some anti-gun wacko, but I don't think a handgun would help you if you are not very experienced with one. Killing a bear with a handgun isn't easy; you have to know where bullet needs to hit to kill them and your aim under pressure has to be good enough to hit a moving animal in those places. Some people feel safer with a gun but I would stick with pepper spray if you buy anything for bear defense!

[quote=Deak;93878]fearnot,

...<snip> I am not some anti-gun wacko, but I don't think a handgun would help you if you are not very experienced with one Killing a bear with a handgun isn't easy; you have to know where bullet needs to hit to kill them...<snip>quote]

I would add that IF you are going to carry a gun (I always do - .454), you should know how to and where to shoot. My dad is allive today because he was carying a gun and the bear wasn't ...Pepper spray would have not done the job in this case.

How would I feel if I was in a situation where my can of pepper spray didn't protect my 11 or 13 yr old daughter?? I'm just not willing to take that chance...just my .02 worth.

Stay in groups, follow common-sense...and you should not have any problems. Enjoy your adventure!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deak View Post
    fearnot,

Use common sense and read about bear safety before coming to Alaska and you should be very safe. Here is a link from our state fish and game management dept with bear safety basics. http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...=bears.bearfax

I never carry a gun when going fishing here in Alaska. Guns are for hunting and sometimes camping.

I am not some anti-gun wacko, but I don't think a handgun would help you if you are not very experienced with one. Killing a bear with a handgun isn't easy; you have to know where bullet needs to hit to kill them and your aim under pressure has to be good enough to hit a moving animal in those places. Some people feel safer with a gun but I would stick with pepper spray if you buy anything for bear defense!
    Your comment...

"Guns are for hunting and sometimes camping".

Are you being serious? That's all guns are for? Not for sporting use, target shooting, self-defense, etc... Do you believe the second amendment is about hunting?

If you want to carry pepper spray out in the field, that's great; But to use that as your only source of protection in the wilds of Alaska and then advocating that idea to the masses on a forum is probably going to get somebody hurt someday. I can find a lot of info on how pepper spray failed when it counts. I am not saying it won't ever work, but I believe your stance on firearms is a little out of touch with reality.

If people can hit a charging bear with a stream of spray under pressure,(and at close range) they can hit him with a shotgun or large caliber revolver as well.

[Flintlock;95287]Your comment...

"Guns are for hunting and sometimes camping".

Are you being serious? That's all guns are for? Not for sporting use, target shooting, self-defense, etc... Do you believe the second amendment is about hunting?

My point, that I obviously made poorly was they are not used for fishing. Maybe to kill a large halibut perhaps? But not on the river when fishing for salmon. I don't believe the person that asked the original question needs one for self defense if he is careful. I often go fishing with some military guys that love to hunt and target shoot. They don't even bring a gun fishing! Now on the ocasion we are staying in the woods camping for a few days almost all of them bring some sort of firearm.

The person that asked the original question (fearnot) is from a country with much stricter handgun laws than our own and the chances he would even own a handgun capable of killing a bear is doubtful. So people advising him to come to Alaska armed could in fact disuade him from experiencing our great fishing. I thought he should know that plenty of people feel perfectly safe fishing on the river without a gun or pepper spray.

As far as the second amendment goes, your being silly. What I meant was what I use guns for. Everyone has there own uses, if you want to carry one everywhere thats your right man make it happen If you want to debate the second amendment lets find another forum! FYI I totally support your right to carry a firearm and use it for whatever use you can dream up as long as it doesn't endanger someone besides yourself.

If you want to carry pepper spray out in the field, that's great; But to use that as your only source of protection in the wilds of Alaska and then advocating that idea to the masses on a forum is probably going to get somebody hurt someday. I can find a lot of info on how pepper spray failed when it counts. I am not saying it won't ever work, but I believe your stance on firearms is a little out of touch with reality.

I usually don't carry even pepper spray fishing. I am advocating that you can be safe fishing without a gun to someone from a country with strict gun laws that probably doesn't have access to a gun capable of killing a bear. How many tourists fish safety in alaska every year without the benefit of a handgun? I also think advocating the use of a handgun for bear safety to someone that probably hasn't used one before is irresponsible and to use your words "a little out of touch with reality."

Being safe doesn't mean having the ability to kill anything that could threaten you. Have you ever been reef diving, snorkeling, or swimming in the ocean? What kind of gun did you bring to defend against the sharks? People can't always be in total control of our environment, we can choose to take whatever reasonable precautions we think are necessary for our own or our familys safety.

I choose not to carry a gun when I go fishing on the river and it sounds like you prefer to have one. If you put your personal preferences aside what is the right answer for someone (fearnot) coming over from Scotland to go fishing here in Alaska? I guess he already had it figured out when he said he can run faster than his friends.....

Quote Originally Posted by Deak View Post
    [Flintlock;95287]Your comment...

... I guess he already had it figured out when he said he can run faster than his friends.....
    And that is why I carry the gun...I'm always the slowest runner in the group

When I was growing up in southeast our family would go berry picking each fall. My dad and one of my uncles were always on bear guard and although they never had to shoot one we had a number of encounters that had us quietly leaving the patch and letting the bears take over.

When we hiked around the in the Juneau area there was always at least one 30-06 in the group and when we hiked along the streams to go fishing we were also armed. We never had to shoot a bear but had a number of near confrontations. I don't care how careful you are or how much noise you make you should be armed in the woods.

Even when close to home it is wise....a couple of years ago, at my home inside Soldotna city limits, one of my neighbors who was out for an evening stroll came running onto my deck and we then watched a sow and cub amble round my driveway and finally off into the brush.

Hey Deak, thanks for a great link.

We are getting dropped off on the Upper Russian and walking out in July and I have just started trying to find some good material on Bears....thanks again.

We're taking mace, shotguns, whistles and a bible.

Don't forget your running shoes

I am honestly more scared of armed tourists and some fisherman when walking around in the woods near the river than bears. Last year I saw a couple on the trail up the russian. They were both easily pushing 70. Definatly not from around here. Crazy hats and fanny packs and all. But they both had the biggest shinniest 44's ,or 500's for that matter, strapped to there chests. It was quite a site. I wish I could have gotten a picture with them. I usually yell hi to people coming around the corner more than I do for bears.

I use my seatbelt. I pay my insurance on time. I don't swim where the sharks are feeding. I don't sunbathe with the gators. .... and I never, never, go to the woods with out my gun....even if it is shinny!

Default Armed

If your up Russian way, look athe the F&G biologists and see if they are walking around un-armed. I would venture to say they will be carrying a shotty--not a bible or bear spray.

It is important to remember though, that carrying a gun in such an area should not encourage off-trail bushwacking which will most likely put you in the situation to kill a bear in DLP. We all have to act reasonably, treat the bears with respect, hope and try not to create encounters that leave a bear injured or dead. But be prepared if the unthinkable happens. I would rather be in the news for a DLP than a mauling--but would by far prefer niether. My plan is always load for bear, and pray for it being unneeded baggage.

I was way closer than comfort to several brownies last year fishing and never had an issue other than the pucker factor.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    Hey Deak, thanks for a great link.

We are getting dropped off on the Upper Russian and walking out in July and I have just started trying to find some good material on Bears....thanks again.

We're taking mace, shotguns, whistles and a bible.
    Anytime....

btw the bible won't help, our bears are illiterate

Prayer during an encounter: "Dear Lord, if you don't help me, please don't help that bear."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast