Thread: Mathews Helim

Default Mathews Helim

I am considering purchasing the new Mathews Helim. My concern is the the amount of material they removed to make it lighter. If you look at it next to the Z7, there is a big difference, I can't see how the new grid is going to make it stronger. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Mule View Post
    I am considering purchasing the new Mathews Helim. My concern is the the amount of material they removed to make it lighter. If you look at it next to the Z7, there is a big difference, I can't see how the new grid is going to make it stronger. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    I have been looking at them, @3.5lbs sure is light. Since my Q2 is over 10 years old and the Son has claimed it, might have to try one.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I am looking at that bow as well I am going to shoot as many bows as I can and see which one feels the best to me. They are prett impressive with the new designs!

I saw it at the Outdoor show and temptation was starting to kick in. My Switchback XT hasn't failed me yet though, so I can't justify the cost right now. Sure is a pretty bow and I'd love the weight reduction. I miss that new bow smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Mule View Post
    Mathews has been tweaking their designs and grid pattern for quite some time. Rather than comparing the Helim to the Z7 (a dual cam bow) consider the comparison to their previous solocams. I'm sure the design was subject to much research, finite analysis, and field testing. Note: the drenalin (2007) weighed in at 3.85 pounds with an axle to axle length of 33 inches.

I don't know how mathews constructs their bows, but after watching what the flow jet can do with making parts for OCC choppers, I'm not surprised that lighter bows are possible. Just seems plausible that a 10 percent reduction in the axle to axle length and material removal would result in the weight savings.

Thanks for the input, I will be headed up to Anchorage or Wasilla in June to purchase my new bow. Hopefuly by then I will have my mind made up. Going from an AR34 to any of the new ones on the market today, should be good although that old bow has served me well.

I shot about 5 diffrent bows before I decided on the Helim. I haven't shot a bow in over 15 years and was not certain what to expect. I knew that I was going to buy something that I could keep for at least 10 years. Here is what I noticed. The draw cycle on the Helim was as smooth as butter. After the shot the bow is dead in your hand, I felt nothing compared to a couple of other bows I shot. What really sold me though was the draw. I say go and shoot as many as you think that you can. I have shot probably 100 arrows out of it and I have to say that I love the bow. My groups at 50 yards are pretty good to me for not shooting in 15 years. I'm sure all bows have ups and downs. Just go and shot them all and pick the one that feels the best in your hand. I was dead set on buying one bow until I shot it and didn't care for it at all. Good Luck

I have a Q2XL and now got the itch for a new bow...... Just need a mathwes tha has a 31 inch draw
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I just bought a new hoyt matrix but I shot the Helium that was one of the other bows I was looking at. I really liked the helium and I don't think you would have any problems with a Mathews bow at all they are all quality gear.

I have a Z7 extreme and love it but would trade it for the heli in a second with no fear for lack of strength, but I can't afford a new bow every year. I pick up the heli every time I go in Full Curl Archery, whom I strongly recomend. They have Hoyt, Mathews, Elite, Bowtech, Quest.....etc....and will let you demo them so you can see what you think. With so many brands I feel they give an honest opinion of any bow you have questions about. Back to the question, Mathews has always been a quality brand and Im sure the heli is no exception. Happy hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by rickytz7111 View Post
    I shot about 5 diffrent bows before I decided on the Helim. I haven't shot a bow in over 15 years and was not certain what to expect. I knew that I was going to buy something that I could keep for at least 10 years. Here is what I noticed. The draw cycle on the Helim was as smooth as butter. After the shot the bow is dead in your hand, I felt nothing compared to a couple of other bows I shot. What really sold me though was the draw. I say go and shoot as many as you think that you can. I have shot probably 100 arrows out of it and I have to say that I love the bow. My groups at 50 yards are pretty good to me for not shooting in 15 years. I'm sure all bows have ups and downs. Just go and shot them all and pick the one that feels the best in your hand. I was dead set on buying one bow until I shot it and didn't care for it at all. Good Luck
    The weight was what sold me on the Helim. I shot half a dozen bows and I narrowed it down to two. The Helim and an Elite. Both had nice smooth draws and I couldn't really tell much difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Mathews has been tweaking their designs and grid pattern for quite some time. Rather than comparing the Helim to the Z7 (a dual cam bow) consider the comparison to their previous solocams. I'm sure the design was subject to much research, finite analysis, and field testing. Note: the drenalin (2007) weighed in at 3.85 pounds with an axle to axle length of 33 inches.

I don't know how mathews constructs their bows, but after watching what the flow jet can do with making parts for OCC choppers, I'm not surprised that lighter bows are possible. Just seems plausible that a 10 percent reduction in the axle to axle length and material removal would result in the weight savings.
    The z7 is NOT a dual cam bow.

Quote Originally Posted by 454casull View Post
    The z7 is NOT a dual cam bow.
    Don't know what I was thinking. Thanks for the correction!