Thread: Knik-Channel 2 News

Default Knik-Channel 2 News

(4/30/12 @ 6:20pm) KRUPA Knik Area, 20 minutes ago they ran an article on the local channel 2 News Station. Mark Simpson, a local resident gave them pictures of the abuses that users of the area have done to the area. I do not think that the local TV cast was very fair in the venue presented. It casts a very bad overall picture of all users of the area. Channel 2 did not once offer to show what, when, or how the other users of this area try to protect or take care of this area. I was personally at the area when he and another person were taking pictures and gathering their data. I did not see that they once mentioned the large group of campers picking up trash and that were also burning the trash pile left behind by the "butt heads" that had previously occupied the spot they were in.

I know these folks, and they camp there every year. They were trying to clean up the mess left behind by the "butt heads". They had bags of trash that they showed us that they had picked up. (sad that nobody shows this on the news) It does not seem to bother Channel 2 news, they only report what they think will make news.

After a full day of talking to and interviewing over one hundred people that were out there, something Mark Simpson and Channel 2 news did not do, it was pretty clear that most of the users were also concerned with the well being of the area. The most obvious scenario I see here is that Mark Simpson and his buddy did not talk to the users, which we spend hours doing.

Two users told us they got expensive tickets for burning pallets, which they did not know was illegel, so educating the users is important.

One user was driving around in Bodenbugr Creek with his truck, we stopped that RIGHT NOW! They also did not know that that was a NO NO! Education is a MUST!

The rest were, and I must admit, known to me and were pretty cool folks. I see them every year out there picking up trash and CLEANING UP the area, not the way Channel 2 news portrays them.

So, to finish, it was frustating to see the news cast this evening. There were over 70 vehicles at the Pavillion parking/trailhead also and several people camping there and we checked everyone out and no abuses that would violate allowable uses on state or bourough land. Sure wish Channel 2 news could have aired that part!

Default Short Version:

There remains, arguably, not enough significant changes in the Knik after 5 years of selective, inefficient enforcement and irresponsible management under the weak special interest legislation gained, in part, by indisputable and well-documented political deceits.

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Bronco View Post
    There remains, arguably, not enough significant changes in the Knik after 5 years of selective, inefficient enforcement and irresponsible management under the weak special interest legislation gained, in part, by indisputable and well-documented political deceits.
    Where was the law enforcement that was promised? Curious to know where the funding monies went?

Quote Originally Posted by RockHound View Post
    Where was the law enforcement that was promised? Curious to know where the funding monies went?
    Curiously, I have seen more trooper patrols (on ATVs) during the week than the weekends...
    "Your papers are not in order"

I think the ATV club should invite KTUU back on the cleanup day. The annual clean up is the only organized effort I'm aware of for cleaning up KRPUA and I think they deserve credit for that. In the interest of fairness, KTUU should be willing to do a report on that.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by RockHound View Post
    Two things;

You might want to ask DNR for a detailed budget statement. Clark Cox has been the primary one willingly providing that in past years.
    There are, however, some unanswered questions. (Some folks are interested in an audit.)

Secondly, enforcement by Troopers was a non starter from the beginning, for several reasons - among them the fact that troopers cannot be specifically assigned to that area (its the rules) and will always therefore be on an 'as needed' and 'as available' basis. Consider that this was the case before the legislation, too - the difference now being that there is 'overtime/volunteer' monies for their time and some more equipment - when and if they are available.
    Many of us lobbied for, as recommended by all prior publicly funded planning, that State Parks (dirty word- dirty word!!) dedicated enforcement be considered, due to severe and historic levels of documented problems in the Knik and projected use levels. (The Susitna Plan, which was (legally?) bypassed actually had a 'must comply' and 'first priority' clause as to the level of management the Knik needed.)
    Bottom line is some folks wanted status quo (termed "Sacrificial Management for decades", Bob Loeffler, past DNR Director) - and that is now basically what you have in place. Dreams come true - troopers still cannot get to you in many spots for illegally destroying critical and sensitive habitat. AWT and F&G readily admit this - as well as certain violations and resultant damages. I know of two F&G employees that are uttering 'active management' now for Knik. I won't print their names because they may tend to disappear given current administrative attitudes.

The KRPUA is, what ya'll wanted and is your "..baby." (Patti Barber, AOAA). It can be taken back to the legislature for responsible management solutions or you can continue to try to get DNR up to speed with an adequate number of trained, authorized, dedicated enforcement personnel- you know, the kind of thing State Parks has been good at for so many years. You may thank AOC and special interest clubs/orgs I do not need to name for todays' continuing problems. That being said, we must acknowledge a level of improvement even within the emerging ceiling imposed by the weak legislation - better than nothing, but not a sustainable solution.

I have good examples of selective enforcement in the Knik, but will hold them back for future negotiations. Having pursued this for years (since 1987 on paper) from MSB Trails up to Knik R. Watershed Group chairmanship - I have little interest in repetition and wish you best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    I think the ATV club should invite KTUU back on the cleanup day. The annual clean up is the only organized effort I'm aware of for cleaning up KRPUA and I think they deserve credit for that. In the interest of fairness, KTUU should be willing to do a report on that.
    ........ Annual cleanups began by Alaska Center for the Environment, MSB, and the National Guard (all of whom deserve credit , as well) in the mid nineties and gratefully taken over in 2003 by the ATV Club (see past posts on the topic). Thanks.
    Cleanups get tiring and folks will only take so much for so long.

It is amazing how 400-500 motivated volunteers can do much more than the government has ever done in the past. And they don't seem to be getting tired of it at all !

I will bet that at least 500 will be there this year to clean up. I know I will. Last year was one of the largest gatherings yet.

Yep, thanks to all of those that help pic up the trash whether it is yours or not (or via a sponsored event).

Whether it be at Jim Creek, a camp site, along the highway, near your work, in your own neighborhood, or your yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    It is amazing how 400-500 motivated volunteers can do much more than the government has ever done in the past. And they don't seem to be getting tired of it at all !
    I sure hope good folks don't tire of it! It is a great help.

Clean-ups are mostly surface, so what is in the soil, waters, etc. remains an unwelcome contribution by the uncaring. Ongoing education and enforcement remain essential.

i love the knik clean up, it something i look forward to doing with my family and friends every year! its a blast!
    Semper Fi!

You got that right. I love to see the troopers out there. And if education had been passed around, most of the tickets they have written would have never happened.

Sounds like great food and prizes and of course the knowing you have done good await the cleanup this year.

I have asked KTUU to put that segment up on their website without effect yet. Maybe they do realize how one-sided it appeared to be. I don't see the ATV Club stopping the cleanup, tenth year now and still getting better.
    KRPUA is a solution that took care of 95% of the problems for 95% of the people. Parks has never been the answer unless you were throwing off user groups.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Bronco View Post
    The solution for Knik and about a 200 other places in AK is to let the pipeline dry up so about 500,000 people will go home.

Quote Originally Posted by AKKCChief View Post
    The solution for Knik and about a 200 other places in AK is to let the pipeline dry up so about 500,000 people will go home.
    While some are against big oil in Alaska, isn't it true that the revenue collected on oil tax has kept us from having a huge deficit?

Not many other states have something of high value to generate any revenue on whatsoever.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    While some are against big oil in Alaska, isn't it true that the revenue collected on oil tax has kept us from having a huge deficit?

Not many other states have something of high value to generate any revenue on whatsoever.
    Obviously you're correct- without the oil the population would be lower but we'd also have an income tax (as we used to, prior to the 80's oil boom) and a sales tax and a much lower standard of living as the high paying jobs wouldn't exist. Not just in oil, but in the industries that support oil. My entire adult life I've worked in the industrial sales segment selling structural steel, fasteners, bearings, gear boxes, pumps etc. and it's the oil companies like BP and Conoco that are the biggest purchasers, with the mining segment coming in second.

I think keeping our riding areas clean (to segue back to topic) is going to be a combination of education, peer pressure for those who know better but still behave badly, and continue the clean-ups because no matter how much education and peer pressure you apply there will always be a bad apple out there. We generally haul out garbage on every ride, sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. If all of us do that, it will make a difference on every trail.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default Oops .......

In my post below (#7), I have been reminded that I left off the Butte Community Council's history of significant contributions to the cleanups in Knik. My apologies for the omission.
    I will post more as the documentation is rounded up.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Obviously you're correct- without the oil the population would be lower but we'd also have an income tax (as we used to, prior to the 80's oil boom) and a sales tax and a much lower standard of living as the high paying jobs wouldn't exist. Not just in oil, but in the industries that support oil. My entire adult life I've worked in the industrial sales segment selling structural steel, fasteners, bearings, gear boxes, pumps etc. and it's the oil companies like BP and Conoco that are the biggest purchasers, with the mining segment coming in second.

I think keeping our riding areas clean (to segue back to topic) is going to be a combination of education, peer pressure for those who know better but still behave badly, and continue the clean-ups because no matter how much education and peer pressure you apply there will always be a bad apple out there. We generally haul out garbage on every ride, sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. If all of us do that, it will make a difference on every trail.
    Life in Alaska was great pre-oil and all the idiot city types that moved up here. But I can remember back before Statehood, which was a whole 'nother mistake.

The only constant is change.
    Sometimes the "good old days" memories outshine the "life sucks" memories of the same time, sometimes they don't.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.