Thread: Help with the Halibut in the Kelp

Default Help with the Halibut in the Kelp

OK sorry for the rhyme. We fish out of Homer and only have a single motor so we dont want to venture out to far. We get plenty of halibut but mostly just small ones with few exceptions. We are going to give the kelp a try this year. We dont keep any over 50 or so. Last year we released our biggest ever that was about 80lbs. It sure feels good to let them big mamas go! Anyway we are looking for a few turkeys. I am not looking for any ones spot but am just wondering how deep we should fish and if you have any pointers. We made some scent canisters to put on one of our downriggers. any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    OK sorry for the rhyme. We fish out of Homer and only have a single motor so we dont want to venture out to far. We get plenty of halibut but mostly just small ones with few exceptions. We are going to give the kelp a try this year.
    I think of the kelp beds as a place where you can have a decent chance of catching a BIG halibut without having to travel the 40 to 70 miles a lot of boats go for "trophy" sized fish. Not that there aren't smaller ones there, but the captains I talk to about it do it so they can anchor up in 25 ft. of water and pull in a monster.

But if you really are set on giving it a try, just a word of caution. Going into the kelp beds with an outboard can be problematic at times. The first time I tried it was with an outboard and the kelp kept plugging up the water intake. It took us about half an hour to go about a quarter of a mile because we had to shut the motor down about every 10 seconds and clean the kelp from the intake. It was not a lot of fun.

But generally speaking your best bet is to find a spot inside the kelp where you have a good sized area that is more or less kelp free and anchor up at the far end of it so that the current is running toward the other end. And about 25 to 30 feet of water is good. Drop your chum bucket to the bottom, toss your offering below the scent trail and wait for the fun to begin.

I don't know if you are aware of this but there are a plenty of places that aren't as far as the kelp beds where you can catch plenty of 20 to 50 pounders without too much trouble. I prefer going to those spots so I don't have to deal with the kelp. And if you only have one motor and something happens to it you really shouldn't have much trouble getting help if you need it when the season really gets going. I was out about 10 miles Sat. and I could see 3 or 4 other boats within easy hailing distance. Just a thought.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    And if you only have one motor and something happens to it you really shouldn't have much trouble getting help if you need it .
    You guys all know that if you need a hand anywhere inside k-bay you can hail me on the "Blackfish" on VHF 16 or 6 and i'll do my best to help you. All day every day starting ariund mid june until late august, and pretty likely the rest of the time.
    just sayin'.

(and i don't have a tow biz... just offering to help.)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    You guys all know that if you need a hand anywhere inside k-bay you can hail me on the "Blackfish" on VHF 16 or 6 and i'll do my best to help you. All day every day starting ariund mid june until late august, and pretty likely the rest of the time.
    just sayin'.

Dave is a prime example of what I was saying. During the height of the season I doubt you'd have to wait long for assistance anywhere within the confines of K-Bay. I know I wouldn't think twice about helping someone in need as would the vast majority of people out there. I have a number of spots within the bay I like to fish that on a good day (or possibly a bad day depending on how you look at it) there might be a dozen or more boats within about a square mile (or less) of each other and I'd be willing to bet most of them won't think twice about giving assistance to someone in need.

I never went to the kelp to catch a monster,but it just can't be helped I only went there to get good fish! I never caught a chalky chicken in the kelp. Nothing like the fight of a 40lb tar baby in the kelp, from the time they grab the bait and smoke your reel and your looking fur the gun and when it gets to the boat your like, "where did that monster go". Halibut in the kelp are twice as fat as any fish from the compass rose or sand waves. Not many charters will go to the kelp with 6 clients it's a little hard on the nerves! If you want to start drinking heavily get a underwater camera! My biggest was 185lbs 11ft of water, best average was 85lbs 12 fish, best fish 25lbs looked more like a football then a halibut

Guys thanks for all the assistance! His boat has a brand new 115 Yamy on it. Its a 24ft boat with an 8'6 beam. we just dont like to venture more than 25 miles or so. His Pro Apollo is a good boat but with one motor you have to use good judgement.

Charterboat Operator

Nice gesture Dave, will keep the blackbird name handy, and vise versa, the pole bender is only on the water fri thru Sunday, but am on 16 and 14 Dont hesitate to call if you need any assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Guys thanks for all the assistance! His boat has a brand new 115 Yamy on it. Its a 24ft boat with an 8'6 beam. we just dont like to venture more than 25 miles or so. His Pro Apollo is a good boat but with one motor you have to use good judgement.
    25 miles!!! When you said "so we dont want to venture out to far" I had visions of 10 to 12 miles or so. The world is your oyster...or halibut. LOL! That's essentially all of K-Bay and out into Cook Inlet a bit. Lots of decent sized halibut to be had within that range. And hopefully someone will chime in with a little better advice than I gave on how best to fish the kelp.