Thread: Honda Rancher 4x4 ES

Default Honda Rancher 4x4 ES

Hi folks, we've got 3 4-wheelers, all 4x2 (Warrior, Blaster, Recon). I was thinking the next one should be a 4x4 with racks, winch, etc. To bail us out of being stuck, if the need arises. Seems like the Honda gets the nod, just read a comparison article in under 6K 4X4's and the Honda came in first.
    What do you guys think?
    What about a winch and other stuff for serious boonie adventures?
    Actually, a list of all the crap you'd need for a distant off road adventure would be really helpful!
    Thanks,
    Jim

Just my 2 cents so take it with a grain of salt:

I never go riding without the following items:
    1. Tire plug kit w/spare spark plug
    2. Spare Gas
    3. Basic tool kit (those factory provided tools don't cut it)
    4. Water purifier
    5. Backpack cook stove (MSR Pocketrocket) w/cook pan
    6. Fuel for stove w/fire source
    7. Food (Mountain House Pro Packs)
    8. Jacket (regardless of season)
    9. .45 cal or .44 MAG
    10. Letting some know where I'm going

I have a winch on my Foreman and it's gotten me out of trouble more than once.

Default I agree whitetail

You did a good job summing it up. I usually take all that with me as well. Of course we both bring other stuff depending length of stay, riding location, and time of year, but its a great starter list.

I'd have to add shovel, snatch block, tow strap, folding hand saw, and fire sticks to the list. Along with a good LED head lamp and extra batteries. Also it helps to take an arctic survival course. I was lucky and the Coast Guard paid for mine!

Thanks for the replies! Specifically, what tools would be necessary so I'm not just carrying weight around in stuff we don't need? What kind/type/capacity of winch would be good for a machine like we're contemplating on getting? (Honda Rancher 4x4)
    Are there containers better for carrying gas than those cheap plastic ones, considering all the bouncing around on rough trails and such?
    Thanks,
    Jim

kudos on mentioning the snatchblock, that is a must have item. I carry two, and have used them. My wheeler is very heavy, stick it up to the fenders and the 2500# winch is not enough. I also carry a screw in anchor, so if there are no trees near enough, I can still pull myself out.
    I have never personally had trouble with the plastic gas cans, but there are other options. There is a plastic fuel pack that is flat, shaped somewhat like an atv rack...about two inches thick. Many riders prefer these, as you can stack cargo on top of them.

Okay, pardon my ignorance, but what is a snatchblock and where do you get the ones you guys are talking about? Is it a contraption with ropes and pulleys?
    Also, the Rancher 4x4 I'm interested in I think does not have a high/low range for the gearbox, but is that a required item anyway for mucky/swampy terrain, to have that extra low gearing?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Default Honda's Gearing

In my experience that since Honda does not but a high/low range on their wheelers that 1st gear is extremely low to make up for not having a low range. They seem to do fine.

Default Snatch Block

The snatch block is basically a pulley with a hook on one end, it doubles the power of your winch. I always carry one with me, also extra cable, it seems that a tree is never within reach of my 50' winch cable.
    Metric socket set up to at least 17mm, thats the wheel lug size (17mm)
    3/8" drive with assorted extensions.
    Metric allen wrench set.
    10" flat and cross point screwdriver, handy for carb.
    Crossing rivers and streams? Oil change and filter very handy!
    12V compressor. $10 at Walmart, a life saver.
    Spare valve stem for tires.
    Ratchet strap is handy for popping the tire upon the bead.
    The list really goes on and on...

Default Rubicon

The Honda Rubicon has fantastic low range gearing, 5 speeds in low range, and it will pull 850 pounds all day without overheating, but, they are over your stated budget.
    You can buy the snatch blocks at AIH, Arctic Wire Rope. Along with cable.
    Last edited by RockHound; 04-10-2007 at 16:55. Reason: more info

Default Accessories

Does the Rancher have a 12 volt outlet of some type for the air compressor? They make 12 volt coffee machines, you know!
    I'll have to look into all that stuff if we buy a machine.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Default 12v outlet

I just got a new 2006 rancher 4x4 and it does have 12v outlet on it. It is a great four wheeler. I have a 2005 foreman also and the rancher has the same towing capacity as my foreman. Sitting side by side there is honestly not hardly any size difference either. The rancher doesn't have all the bells and whistles as other 4wheelers but all those liquid coolings and lockers and power steering don't mean anything if your 50 miles from the truck and you break down. Its all about reliability, and honda is a reliable as they get.