Thread: Replacing felt soles?

Default Replacing felt soles?

Is anyone aware of anyplace other than 5th Avenue shoe repair for resoling. They are out of all rubber soles and are on a waiting list from for more from Simms. I may be buying a new set of boots if I can find any in a size 16.

Check the Simms site. As I recall they have a list of all the cooperating shops in each state.

5th avenue shoe repair is the only one listed BB.

Could try the places in Seattle or Vancouver though.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/streamtread.html

Hecho en Mexico!

If it was me I would take an old auto tire, split it with a knife, lay my boot bottoms on it for a template, outline, cut, and then waterproof glue..

Rosenberg; Sarasota, FL / Kodiak. AK
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    Hecho en Mexico!

If it was me I would take an old auto tire, split it with a knife, lay my boot bottoms on it for a template, outline, cut, and then waterproof glue..

Rosenberg; Sarasota, FL / Kodiak. AK

Sounds like your making biker scout boots from Empire Strikes Back??
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    5th avenue shoe repair is the only one listed BB.

Could try the places in Seattle or Vancouver though.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/streamtread.html
    I was thinking that was the case, but shops in other states that don't have the felt rule yet likely would have them in stock.

BTW- We just finished two months of using the new rubber soles with the metal studs. I'm not going to miss felt in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    BTW- We just finished two months of using the new rubber soles with the metal studs. I'm not going to miss felt in the least.

I have just replaced my old boots for this season.
    The old were Simms Guide boots with the old Aqua Stealth studded rubber soles . I used them for 6 years and they are still servicable. By far the best boots I have ever had. Way better than any felt boots.
    I now have the new Guides boots with Vibram soles and hardbite cleats. Haven't been able to try them out yeat but I think the river will be open enough this week.

Boot Country says it will replace felt soles with rubber, for $65 per pair. Don't know exact replacement soles available.

Have any of you guys tried the new simms "re-treads" without the studs yet? How did they work out? I had 5th Ave. replace mine on my simms guide boots and I am trying to decide if I want to go ahead and get the studs or wait to see how they work without them. If you use the studs, which version to you use? Regular or the start type?

Do you think you can just spray some flex seal (as seen on tv) on the felt sole and call it good? lol