Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valdez fishing update?

Default Valdez fishing update?

I tend to do seasonal work in Valdez. What are conditions like on the fishing front out of Valdez now

Default Check out this link:

Looks like fishing is good for some:http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...t-dinghy-video

Am watching them shore fish for pinks now. They are in THICK.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

if your not getting any pinks in regular areas try solomon gulch at low tide, everyone was limiting in no time at all, had a combat fishing kind of feel and watched a guy get his eyeball hooked right next to me so wear glasses if you go out there

Yikes, didn't know people were that competitive for pinks.

Default Pinks still in thick...silvers might be on the way

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Blood View Post
    Yikes, didn't know people were that competitive for pinks.
    I got back from a couple days fishing in Valdez. The pinks are really beautiful this year, with lots of them very hefty. They haven't started dying off yet, and every one I caught was still bright, with very few humped males.

If all you're after is fish for canning/freezing, go down on the rocks before you get to the weir area and snag your limit. You literally can't get a lure past the fish that are bumping into each other. At times the water is boiling with them.

If you want to be more sporting, anywhere from the end of the parking lot on up to the camp ground is excellent. The little boat ramp near the conex was super hot yesterday.

I saw no signs of "combat" fishing, but maybe on weekends it gets like that.

The guys at the filet tables at the harbor said they've seen some silvers brought in by folks fishing farther out from the port. Hopefully the silvers will return on schedule and peak during the weeks on either side of Labor Day.

End of report. Note: the bears are still visiting the weir, but I haven't heard of any threatening behavior from them. The Valdez safety officer is hanging out down there to keep things sort of under control.

Just a heads up. There is a sign the that says " No fishing within 300 ft of weir". People are always down there doing it anyway, but there is plenty of other places to catch pinks just as easy.

Any chance all this HOT fishing action for pinks lasts until mid-Aug?

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyeseas View Post
    Any chance all this HOT fishing action for pinks lasts until mid-Aug?
    You will still be able to catch plenty of pinks by mid August but catching bright ones for good eating will be sparse. There may be some bright silvers around there by then with more showing up toward the end of August.

I guess 'bright' means fresh from salt with original color?

It's amazing to me how these salmon transform once they head upstream.

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyeseas View Post
    I guess 'bright' means fresh from salt with original color?

Yes, pinks transform the fastest. Right now many of the fish caught will be bright silver but they change rapidly and there will still be pinks swimming around there into September that you could catch but they would be barely alive by then and we often refer to them as zombies. If you were just looking to catch some for fun though they will still be there in large numbers in mid August.

Pinks still in thick. Some are dying off. I just read in the local paper that during the kids pink derby the second place fish was a seven pound five ounce silver. So there must be some silvers around.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Any fishing reports for 2013?
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

According to the Valdez fishing derby commercial I heard on the radio today, they are catching them like crazy all over the place.

I have heard of fish being caught pretty consistently all the way up to the narrows, but it's all second-hand info. I'll be there in over two weeks, so they still have time.....

There are a couple other thread going on Valdez. Looks like the silvers should be good this year based on early reports.

We got to Valdez Sunday night. Fished about 4 hours Monday, caught 5 silvers, a very shiny pink, 3 kings one of which had to go 30 lbs. I have my 3 inlaws down with me and they are fairly new to saltwater salmon fishing. My downriggers both crapped out so we started mooching and had good success just free drifting the boat. The fish were 40 feet and less. My bro and law tossed in one ofmy rockfish jigs while I was rigging and promptly hooked and landed a giant silver! All at the end of the narrows across from Jack's Bay drifting from the green bouy towards open water. Had a great day and though foggy early the water was good and flat. Good luck to all!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Lil bird chirped in my ear that there some being picked as far in as the gold mine. Can anyone confirm this? I will be there tomorrow night for Friday/Saturday fishing, I'll report back with some info.

Fishin Injun!

Do the silvers fight more when caught out in the narrows. I mean pull out line and jump? I caught silvers at gold creek that were not blush at all and they reeled in like dead logs. It was September, and they were good size. It was a low run that year, 3 yrs back.

Don't know if the boats at the Gold Mine were catching anything but there were some over there trolling today. They are in the Narrows for sure now.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Valco, I'll guess you were trolling.

Seems like they don't fight much caught that way. No idea why. Mooching, I've had them go ballistic. I would much, much rather mooch or toss out a free-drifting herring than troll.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast