Thread: Top 5 flys

Lightbulb Top 5 flys

Ok TO be honest Ive come up with idea to save time and money also it might b of intrest to regular ak anglers.Ok 5 OF US ARE COMING TO FISH THE KENI PEN EARLY-MID JULY (mainly flyfishing)ALL THE WAY FROM SCOTLAND.We dont want to spend 2 much time /money buying store loads of flys.so how about replying to this thread to help us out a bit.Please let us know your top 5 for the keni pen in july.for
    bows
    greylang
    dollies
    silvers
    kings
    steelies
    coho
    chum
    pink
    sockeye
    YEUP this guy is for real .Any tackle shops in anchorage sell good fly sets to cover this problem for the visiting angler .Mabie a good store owner can make up a package at a good price .we will b stocking up with lots of new gear Thanks Graham.

Default my 5

tough to narrow it down to 5 when you plan on targeting all those species, but i'll try.
    1. egg/bead - various colors... will give you a chance to catch just about anything anytime
    2. flesh - works for trout and dollies mostly, but has been known to catch other species as well. works in july also because of fish filets being thrown in the rivers. i prefer to tie them quite a bit smaller than most you will find in fly shops.
    3. bead headed possie bugger (google it) - about size 8...i use it as my lead fly the majority of the time and it almost always outperforms the dropper... even when the dropper is a glo bug or flesh fly. works in clear water streams for trout/dollies very well, but could work for other species as well.
    4. bead headed p-tail and/or prince - always worth a try in clear streams for trout, dollies, grayling. great search patterns.
    5. yarn fly (peach) - i know it isn't fancy, but it'll catch all the salmon species as well as steelhead and performs just as well or better than most other salmon/steelhead flies that take longer to tie.

these are the top 5 i came up with from the top of my head. obviously the list would change slightly if your target species and waters were more specific. i'm sure others would have lists that vary drastically from mine as well. i will tell you that my list is biased towards clear water rivers and creeks on the kenai peninsula.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default my 5

tough to narrow it down to 5 when you plan on targeting all those species, but i'll try.
    1. egg/bead - various colors... will give you a chance to catch just about anything anytime
    2. flesh - works for trout and dollies mostly, but has been known to catch other species as well. works in july also because of fish filets being thrown in the rivers. i prefer to tie them quite a bit smaller than most you will find in fly shops.
    3. bead headed possie bugger (google it) - about size 8...i use it as my lead fly the majority of the time and it almost always outperforms the dropper... even when the dropper is a glo bug or flesh fly. works in clear water streams for trout/dollies very well, but could work for other species as well.
    4. bead headed p-tail and/or prince - always worth a try in clear streams for trout, dollies, grayling. great search patterns.
    5. yarn fly (peach) - i know it isn't fancy, but it'll catch all the salmon species as well as steelhead and performs just as well or better than most other salmon/steelhead flies that take longer to tie.

these are the top 5 i came up with from the top of my head. obviously the list would change slightly if your target species and waters were more specific. i'm sure others would have lists that vary drastically from mine as well. i will tell you that my list is biased towards clear water rivers and creeks on the kenai peninsula.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Well these are the ones I use most

1. Egg sucking leach size 6 should get you any thing short of kings
    2. RJ wooly good for grayling and trout
    3. leftys deciever good for silvers, pinks, chums, and large trout/ steelhead. (also pike)
    4. battle bunney works for silvers and trout any thing that a skain of flesh pattern might work with.
    5. bead or egg pattern for trout and greyling

I tried to stick with fairly versitile flys so there may be better things to use if you are targeting a species.

Default Book

Buy "Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska" by Troy Leatherman and also get "Fly Fishers Guide to Alaska" about 400 pages and has a whole 80 page section about the Kenai Penn. Tells you exactly how to get to tons of fishing places and has maps as well. The best two books (by far) I have bought for fly fishing Alaska. Read about Quartz Creek, Crescent Lake and Carter Lake are good hike in lakes for grayling. The Russian is famous and crowded (red salmon runs), take a one day trip on the Kenai with a guide for king salmon. I used Jimmie Jack Charters last year. Great people. Take a halibut charter out of Seward or Homer. You have so many options its crazy. Get a good book or two and read up. Tons of info there to help you. The book, Topwater, has a whole chapter on each species in Alaska and tells you flies to use, when and how to use them, and other info. Very detailed book. A must have for anyone heading to the great land.

Size 6 purple ESL, no flash: Bows, silvers, kings, dollies, reds, pinks, and chums

Bead: Bows and dollies during august

Prince Nymph: Bows and dollies when it is not august, grayling anytime

Clouser Minnow: Saltwater fish, silvers, bows and dollies in the spring

Stimulator: Grayling, Bows in June

I just saw "For July" so in July my favorite flies on the kenai penn are:

BH Prince Nymph (Bows)
    Purple ESL (Salmon)
    Flesh FLy (sockeye in the russian)
    Copper John (Bows)
    Stimulator (grayling)

A good book: http://www.amazon.com/Flies-Alaska-G...6414371&sr=1-2 by Tony Route (RIP) it was basically my fly tying bible when I was young

Also: shoot me a PM I'll tie you up a selection at a fair price...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.