Thread: Surf Fishing Kodiak in August

Default Surf Fishing Kodiak in August

My wife and I will be playing tourist in Kodiak during the month of August. I have heard the August surf can be fun fishing for Pinks, Chum and Halibut. I would like any tips on how to go about doing it. I will be carrying a pair of light + medium weight spinning rods + bait casting rigs with 14 lbs of drag and 30lb. braid. Will I also need carry my big surf rods with the giant spining reels? What teminal tackle will I need?

If you go out to Cape Chiniak you have a very good chance of getting some halibut of the rocks. You have to watch out if the swells are very big. You can try out by the rocket launch site also, it's more protected. August can be very good for silver aroud the river mouths too!

Thanks for the info MGH55. Just reading this fires me up! Silvers around the river mouth too......YES!

A big surf rod will work fine for tossing bait. Stick to your other rigs if you are throwing artificials and retrieving...

Rosenberg; Sarasota, FL / Kodiak, AK
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Hey Snope drop me a PM.