Thread: Zodiac Oarlocks - can I drill my oars?

Default Zodiac Oarlocks - can I drill my oars?

my stock zodiac oar locks have lost the steel bushings - I bought one replacement set and lost them also - they suck anyway...

so i picked up some achilles style pinned oar locks and plant to glue them to the zodiac tonight - I can't seem to find a bolt on type piece for the oar - thinking I might just drill the oars out. There is a steel collar on them so I would penetrate that and hope they don't hollow out. I don't use them much - more of a just in case the motor should not start emergency use.

So - to drill or not to drill??

If anyone knows of a clamp that could be installed that would be great too...

Would oar clips and stirrups work?

I also need to have something that holds the oars tight in the boat - don't want them blowing out on the water.........

This is the type of oar lock that I bought from Marita...

http://shop.inflatableboatparts.com/...&cat=13&page=2

I'm leery. I had a 13' Achilles with those locks for years, and they worked really well with the Achilles oars. Then I managed to lose them on a fly out- just left them on the beach when the plane picked us and the boat up. I dinked around for two years trying mods on an assortment of oars, and all broke or didn't work for poop. Was getting by with canoe paddles till my outboard puked and we had to paddle a couple of miles. I was set to finally order replacement oars from Achilles when I heard a story from a friend about finding a pair of Achilles oars on a remote beach a couple of years back. Sure enough, he had found mine. Never so happy in my life to get Achilles oars back on that boat!

Well - in trying to get ready for this weekend (should the weather lay down) - I just put a piece of 1/2 inch copper pipe in the old stock oar locks. Definately not the best but it will get us to shore if the motor should quit us.